Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Friends who know nothing about football.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Good on them I say. It's very cringe how it's expected that all men should like football. Some men I've met can only talk about football, introduce them to someone who doesn't talk about football and they're lost with how to converse.

Agree. Nothing worse than someone with no interest in football feeling they have to show an interest and making conversation about it. You, the football fan don't want that (nothing worse) and they don't either.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I can understand not being into football, but to live in Brighton and not know that Albion were promoted to the PL must really take some doing.

Men who don't like any sport are just plain weird. Almost as weird as the ones who only like rugby.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that general awareness about the Albion is pretty high, certainly in my part of West Sussex, and I get the impression there is a lot of goodwill towards the club. Friends or acquaintances who aren't familiar with at least part of our journey are the exception rather than the norm.

In PR terms the Albion has accomplished much with the Falmer Campaign, Albion In The Community and the construction of a wonderful stadium by the A27.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that so many boys and girls in the county would be adopting the Albion as their team to support.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I get it. That's how I feel about cars. I just don't get what's exciting about them apart from their ability to get me from A to B quicker (usually) than other modes of transport.

In fact, the moment someone mentions F1 I switch off.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It' not just friends. I have 2 sons - one is a total anorak and really follows the game. The other is curiously unmoved. Much as I love them both, I sometimes look at the latter, look at his mum and just wonder......................

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
supporting BHA is just one of many interests I have, yet some people who have no interest/knowledge of football at all seem to feel they must come up with mindless chit chat like 'oooh, your playing Leicester on Saturday, they're quite good aren't they?' or 'Oh, you have a season ticket, is that for all the games?'

A very sweet, but otherworldly colleague did say 'well done' after the promotion. I expressed my surprise at their knowledge and they said "I saw you all on the pitch (on TV) and guessed something good must have happened' ..... quite liked that

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I work in a large open plan office of about 100 people. There are maybe 10 people into football, 5 with a passing interest and the rest really couldn't give a shit. Most of my colleagues are male too.

A friend met Bruno at a charity thing in mid December last year and asked him if he was looking forward to some time off over Christmas! D'oh!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I do actually get it. I have no interest in cricket and although I live locally I have no idea which division Sussex are in and how good or bad they are.

I can help you here.

Sussex are in the BOTTOM league, and can't bat, which makes us not very good.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Pretty much all my closest male friends are into football and have tangible connections with the clubs they support. Whether that's by subconscious design or just random I don't know, but I'd lean towards it being the former. The only non-football fans who tend to get on my baps are the arrogant rugger buggers who bang on about their sport being superior to football in every aspect at every opportunity to anyone who'll listen, knobs.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It is the worst part of me living over here. Even those who say they follow it fall apart within five minutes of a conversation because they just don't have a clue. They probably have the same issue with me and baseball though.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I know plenty of people with absolutely no interest in football, some with an loathing of the sport and the huge coverage it gets on TV in modern times (not just matches, but football finance, change of club owners, transfers, managers, etc). I do get that - say just 1/3 of adults like professional football, but it dominates the media.

Some of the haters, adore F1 and/or Motor Bike Racing.

F1 fans are a different species to us.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thinking about it, pretty much all the blokes I've met through my son playing cricket (parents, coaches etc) are also into football. Struggling to think of one who isn't actually. Even those totally obsessed with cricket still follow football and most are pretty knowledgeable.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I do actually get it. I have no interest in cricket and although I live locally I have no idea which division Sussex are in and how good or bad they are.

This!

Its difficult to see when you are a season ticket holder and regular poster on a club fan site (as a lot of us are) that actually, outside this little bubble, lots of other people exist without giving a toss about us or our game.

I can vouch for this because I really couldn't give a flying f*ck about the rest of football.

I watch the Albion, I read about the Albion, I care about the Albion.... I hardly know a thing about the rest of the division, other leagues, the world cup, or anything else football not directly related to the Albion.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I get it. That's how I feel about cars. I just don't get what's exciting about them apart from their ability to get me from A to B quicker (usually) than other modes of transport.

In fact, the moment someone mentions F1 I switch off.

Me too on the whole, but if there was a F1 event in Brighton I think I might know something about it. I don’t have any interest in rugby either, and can claim never to have watched a game, but I knew when the Rugby World Cup was happening at the Amex. As this thread suggests, it’s the people in Brighton who seem to have failed to spot what has been going on at the Albion that are hard to fathom.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
This!

Its difficult to see when you are a season ticket holder and regular poster on a club fan site (as a lot of us are) that actually, outside this little bubble, lots of other people exist without giving a toss about us or our game.

I can vouch for this because I really couldn't give a flying f*ck about the rest of football.

I watch the Albion, I read about the Albion, I care about the Albion.... I hardly know a thing about the rest of the division, other leagues, the world cup, or anything else football not directly related to the Albion.

I'm pretty much with you there, my first and only interest is the Albion. However, I DO like cricket, but as with the Albion my sole interest is Sussex. Show me an England cricket team, and unless they play for Sussex, I haven't a clue which counties they play for! For me, the opposition playing against either the Albion or Sussex are just that - the opposition, and I have no more interest in them than that.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I think if many non football fans had the opportunity to go to a match and experience the excitement and tribal nature of it they may actually “get it”. A case in point being Jeremy Clarkson, a petrol head with no interest in football until he had to go to a Chelsea game and became an avid fan. I presume he has stuck with it but whether he knows the difference between playing 3 or 4 at the back I’d be interested to know.

JBD

Jul 12, 2009
Zone Q
My old boss (the best one I ever had) didn't get into football until his fifties. He then became a huge Gooner. Conversation with him when Tony Adams was made England captain.
Me: Morning Del thought you might give us a day off?
Del: Why?
Me: Tony Adams becoming England captain.
Del: That surprised me, thought they would have given it to Roy Keane.
Me: He's Irish.
Del: About todays job.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here