Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Friends who know nothing about football.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Gives me something to tell her on this evening’s call. She’ll be delighted to hear that - thanks!

My mum's in her 80s as well and I know she'd react almost identically even after my paranoia, concern and likely exasperation was evident.

Love her reaction to clapping the opponents equaliser and your threat of never taking her again!

There should be a Senior Seagulls club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My mum's in her 80s as well and I know she'd react almost identically even after my paranoia, concern and likely exasperation was evident.

Love her reaction to clapping the opponents equaliser and your threat of never taking her again!

There should be a Senior Seagulls club.

Brilliant story though Goldstone1976's is (and it IS brilliant), don't start on 'another' Seagulls Club. The ignorati will start howling and grizzling about 'why can't there be a middle-aged Seagulls Club?' etc.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I literally don't have any friends that don't like football. I just don't understand the concept.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
An old mate of mine has no interest in football whatsoever, but calls himself a Man United fan to annoy people. He would always try and find out one Man U fact from the news, to use as proof. It was a great wind up when you met real plastics!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This affliction is curable, even with an 80-something year old, though it does take time.

In 2015/16, we lost my Dad, and my mum asked if I would take her to a game - I think mostly because she wanted company. We went to the Birmingham home game. She was very excited when we took the lead, and clapped politely when they equalised. In a more venomous way than I intended, I took her to task, explaining that I would never take her again if she ever did that again. “Well, we always clap a good shot if an opposing player plays a good wood in bowls”, she said by way of explanation. “It’s not bloody bowls”, I succinctly said.

She went to a couple more games that season.

In our promotion season, she went to six games, including Wigan, where she was properly excited.

Last season she went to 12 games, including Arsenal and United, and half way through the season, we agreed that we’d get her a ST for next year. We sat in the seats that I’d picked out for us as best candidates for the Spurs and United games. The chap two seats down from us delights in calling the ref a “fing cxxx” at every justifiable occasion, and many somewhat less justifiable occasions. After the United game, I asked if she was happy with those seats for next season:

“Yes, dear. They’re perfect”
“Even though - well, err, you know?”
“I just tune him out, dear. Besides, he’s lovely before and after the game”.

She’s ready.

Though she does get very excited at seeing Gully. “Oooh - there he is” - every bloody game.

Having failed to get any of my kids at all interested in football - I think an extremely cold, wet Boxing Day loss at Withdean kiboshed that - I take at least some comfort from having introduced at least 1 new STH.

Persistence, clarity about etiquette, and a willingness to explain every nuance to start with (“See that big box? Well, the keeper is allowed to use his hands in the area”) will convert a total ingenue in three years.

Yesterday evening, on our daily catch up phone call she asked when the fixtures for next season would be out.

Atta girl.

Lovely post, but how did she get through the ST waiting list ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
On the other side of the coin though - isn't it great when you meet people who know exactly what it all means without you having to explain. I bumped into someone I used to play football with until about four years ago last week. We only had a few minutes to catch up, and he asked how things had been in the last few years. I said something along the lines of 'job's okay, wife's okay - and of course we had the promotion'. He knew instantly what I meant (that is - nothing to do with work!), what it would have meant to me, and what this season has meant. He just looked me in the eye and smiled, almost conspiratorially.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
its horses for courses.I'd rather speak to people who admit to not liking football,and therefore talk about something else than people who pretend to like football and have to listen to them talking crap.

Also, I probably come across as a bit of a div to some people,as I couldn't tell you how England are doing in the cricket,who's doing what in formula 1 or how golf tournements are panning out ,as Ive no interest in them.

Each to there own,although I do find it a bit odd that some blokes like no sport at all.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
i turned up to watch my lad play (i was late). so i ask a dad 'what's the score?'

his answer was 'they won the 1st game 2 nil & have just kicked off the 2nd'

sounds reasonable except - no - they play 1 game / match, with 2 halves!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here