Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] i360 wants to reduce repayments

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I never expected it to make a profit or even break even - however what it has done has helped regenerate that while section of sea front & has massive benefits from the businesses there including Preston street - which has always struggled.

For your information, all the Arches shops are owned by the council. Part of the i360 agreement is that no shop within (100 metres?) is allowed to compete with the i360. Hence the rock shop went, the cafe went and all the shops went, to be replaced by small independent shops selling goods few people want. Tourists want ice creams (banned), coffee shops (banned), souvenir shops (banned) and rock (banned).
The council are now doing the same at the bottom of West Street.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For your information, all the Arches shops are owned by the council. Part of the i360 agreement is that no shop within (100 metres?) is allowed to compete with the i360. Hence the rock shop went, the cafe went and all the shops went, to be replaced by small independent shops selling goods few people want. Tourists want ice creams (banned), coffee shops (banned), souvenir shops (banned) and rock (banned).

That's disgusting.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012

I know food is banned from all those outlets. There's still a number there - alfrescos, Melrose & regency in line of sight have a tonne of new trade delivered to their doorsteps+ knock on to Preston street & there is a cafe & coffee shop just past alfresco - Not sure about the ice cream concession in the play ararea e anymore. It's not a surprise a major investor (of not their own money admittedly) would want to LOCK down as much business as possible to protect their market share.

It's about spreading visitors along the front so they aren't all congested at the bottom of west street & in future will go from sea lanes in the east (fingers crossed or even conference centre at black rock to link marina in better) to the i360 in the West.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know food is banned from all those outlets. There's still a number there - alfrescos, Melrose & regency in line of sight have a tonne of new trade delivered to their doorsteps+ knock on to Preston street & there is a cafe & coffee shop just past alfresco - Not sure about the ice cream concession in the play ararea e anymore. It's not a surprise a major investor (of not their own money admittedly) would want to LOCK down as much business as possible to protect their market share.

It's about spreading visitors along the front so they aren't all congested at the bottom of west street & in future will go from sea lanes in the east (fingers crossed or even conference centre at black rock to link marina in better) to the i360 in the West.

I think I read that Alfresco is closing.

Edit: it’s changing hands and refurbing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here