Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] i360 wants to reduce repayments

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In the first full year, from August 2016, the i360 had just over 500,000 visitors, significantly fewer than the 800,000 predicted.

The estimate for this year, the second full year, is more likely to be 350,000 to 400,000.

I wonder how this links into tourist figures/economy for the city as a whole? If there had been a drop in number of visitors and spend across the board, then you'd have a background of an overall drop. If numbers are down on the i360 but the tourist figures are actually up, has the i360 contributed to the figures being up but just got it's estimates wrong? I don't think anyone can just take the estimated and actual numbers in isolation without the context of the wider tourist economy.

Last edited:

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
In fairness, all of my friends who have been on it have enjoyed it, but none have said they would want to go a second time. Therein lies most of the problem I think

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Best thing they can do is turn it into a restaurant 3 flights for breakfast 7,8 & 9am then 12 1.30 & 2.30 lunch, 2 for afternoon tea then 2 sittings for dinner.

Take the pod up, leave up for duration of meal then down again!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In fairness, all of my friends who have been on it have enjoyed it, but none have said they would want to go a second time. Therein lies most of the problem I think

Not sure it is repeat business they modelled it on, I think they were estimating on 10% of the 8million or so visitors to Brighton each year going on it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Best thing they can do is turn it into a restaurant 3 flights for breakfast 7,8 & 9am then 12 1.30 & 2.30 lunch, 2 for afternoon tea then 2 sittings for dinner.

Take the pod up, leave up for duration of meal then down again!

Not a bad idea that but would surely need a toilet on board?

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Yep the whole pod would need to be converted!

Blackadder:
Um, well, what we are talking about in privy terms is the latest in front wall fresh air orifices combined with a wide capacity gutter installation below.

Mrs. Pants:
You mean you crap out the window?

Blackadder:
Yes.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Not a bad idea that but would surely need a toilet on board?

Easy solution, the W C could have an automatic coupling which when the pod is at its highest point, locks onto an access to the existing large diameter soil pipe.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Easy solution, the W C could have an automatic coupling which when the pod is at its highest point, locks onto an access to the existing large diameter soil pipe.

An on board tank that empties when it returns to ground level would be far more cost effective than running a soil pipe to the top surely?

I think the dining option would be a great idea, although maybe just for evenings.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
An on board tank that empties when it returns to ground level would be far more cost effective than running a soil pipe to the top surely?

Oh ! I thought it went up and down on the existing soil pipe ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
2017 data for tourism is released on 20 July.
I highly doubt it will show a massive drop that would explain missing the target by so far.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Push the iSore in to the sea, build on it with a beautiful Grand Theatre at the end and call it something like, er...........The West Pier.

Oct 25, 2003
I've done it and enjoyed it very much- it was as a gift though so don't know how I would have felt if I'd paid for it myself.

however I have to admit I don't have a huge desire to go on it as a repeat customer, which is possibly part of the problem?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Classic thread. 80 posts and only a handful deal with the question, including mine.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here