Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albin's Moneyball: Gross, Andone, Cervi and more

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
He's shorter than me!

Sing him up, Barber!

(Never heard of him. Any good? Does he justify a place in the title of this thread given we haven't actually signed him?)

Of the "Liga Nos" stats, last season accounted for 31 appearances, 3 goals and 9 assists.

No international caps, would qualify through an Italian passport

FullSizeRender.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
All these clues.................... aargh doing my head in ....... why is Bozza putting Cervi in the title of the thread? Why is the second post hinting at Jakanhakanbasshhh ?............ will I have heard of a player we sign ever again...........?

Sorry mate, nothing in my post except that we tried to sign him for the Championship 3 years ago. Fees were agreed but he wanted longer to consider it than we could wait.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Didn't know that. Not that I've ever heard of him before so no harm done I guess :lol:

He would suit us very well. 21 goals and 12 assists from the wing last season, though he does take penalties for them as well, top scorer in Eredivisie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is it not? Obviously it's a bit cliche whenever analytics are involved in sport, but obviously our recruitment is heavily based on data science.

Because Moneyball is taking player A who has failed at clubs x,y & z, is deemed a failure, but has still held onto a specific analytical anomaly.
An anomaly that when coupled with failed player B's specific anomaly makes their combined talents better than the sum of their parts.

All the Albion are doing is just not being lazy.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Because Moneyball is taking a player A who has failed at clubs x,y & z, is deemed a failure, but has still held onto a specific analytical anomaly.
An anomaly that when coupled with another 'failed' players specific anomaly makes their combined talents better than the sum of their parts.

All the Albion are doing is just not being lazy.

Moneyball is finding the stats that matter, then finding the players that have the edge in those stats and are undervalued by the market. It is not failed players, it is players whose talents are undervalued.

Edit. and using stats to reveal those talents.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Moneyball is finding the stats that matter, then finding the players that have the edge in those stats and are undervalued by the market. It is not failed players, it is players whose talents are undervalued.

Edit. and using stats to reveal those talents.

Sorry I guess I could have finished my explanation.
The point being the players that are 'moneyballed!!' obviously aren't failures but players that have actually been failed by their previous club(s).

There is a reason why TB had 'moneyball' removed from 'official' literature.
That reason being the club aren't using Moneyball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here