Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] For those that watch Question Time

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Just watched last weeks and something occurred to me. I have my own views on politics and economics etc as most people do. Whenever I read threads on NSC posters often put up arguments that I hadn’t considered and I soften, or even sometimes, change my view. I have never had this happen when watching QT.

Why is it politicians and the like are unable to put forward a strong enough case to change people’s views to their way of thinking. Surely that’s what they are paid to do. If the good folk of NSC are able to put forward sensible cases for their opinions why the hell cant the people who run, or aspire to run, this country.

Anyone else find this?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Us normal folk can understand an argument and can change our minds, politicians don’t seem to understand the real world and vote towing party lines.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just watched last weeks and something occurred to me. I have my own views on politics and economics etc as most people do. Whenever I read threads on NSC posters often put up arguments that I hadn’t considered and I soften, or even sometimes, change my view. I have never had this happen when watching QT.

Why is it politicians and the like are unable to put forward a strong enough case to change people’s views to their way of thinking. Surely that’s what they are paid to do. If the good folk of NSC are able to put forward sensible cases for their opinions why the hell cant the people who run, or aspire to run, this country.

Anyone else find this?

Very good point. I guess that the setting turns it into TV panto, and if you don't strike a blow in 5 seconds you miss the boat. Whereas on NSC we can drone on and on in the privacy of our own bedsit until we attract followers. More seriously, NSC is daubing on a wall and there is time to ponder the daubing, and no need to reply unless motivated.

In short....search me, guv :shrug::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Us normal folk can understand an argument and can change our minds, politicians don’t seem to understand the real world and vote towing party lines.

*cough* toeing *cough*

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Most political language is hackneyed and lacking in substance.

It is hardly surprising that they fail to convince you.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd say that the reason politicians struggle to change people's minds is that most of us have a stronger pre-conception of a politician, based on party, voting history etc than we would of a poster on here. So on a subconscious level this emotion clouds our judgement, so we disregard the sensible things that a politician from a party we don't support says (and vice versa). You only have to read a political thread on here to realise how ridiculously polarised people are, and the intellectual contortions they'll go through to find an argument that backs up their pre-decided narrative.

It's not a criticism of NSC, it's human nature, I do it as well.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
As NSC we can change our minds without consequence. Any change of mind in Politics is seen as a sign of weakness. As a politician, the imperative is to keep to what you said 10 years ago. If you change your mind you are "U-Turning", which in Media savy world, is seen to be very toxic.......needs a big reason to change your mind, or face public retribution....best tow the party line.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
NSC's QT viewers might also be tuning in to "Suffragettes with Lucy Worsley" tonight.

Not sure I'm going to stick it out to the end...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I genuinely believe that the current crop of politicians (across the political spectrum, and with only a very few exceptions) are among the most bland, boring and untalented we've seen in this country for a long time. When the politicians are so uninspiring, is it any wonder they struggle to win anyone over? It's the reason why the fringe types (Corbyn, Rees-Mogg etc.) get traction because at least they're something different.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We on this board mostly hang out with people with similar tastes that agree with us. We all want to have fulfilling relationships and feel loved by friends and family.

As per Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, esteem and love/belonging are an essential component of human motivation.

NSC in this instance is our family having a love for football in general and in particular a love of the Albion providing our validatidation which is why the Brexit discussion on here has proved so problematic it's like falling out with your family and friends

Question Time panellists generally do not share that family friend bondship with us so validatidation is not a requirement and disagreement is far less problematic.

plus recently Question Times seldom has panellists who under election time circumstances would be B or even C list

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
NSC's QT viewers might also be tuning in to "Suffragettes with Lucy Worsley" tonight.

Not sure I'm going to stick it out to the end...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I can't stand Lucy Worsley. I watched another series about the Tudor wives, and she ruined it.

Politicians lie so much, they seem incapable of telling the truth, if, in fact, they can remember what the truth is.
Get caught out? Cover it up.

Dorset Seagull

As NSC we can change our minds without consequence. Any change of mind in Politics is seen as a sign of weakness. As a politician, the imperative is to keep to what you said 10 years ago. If you change your mind you are "U-Turning", which in Media savy world, is seen to be very toxic.......needs a big reason to change your mind, or face public retribution....best tow the party line.
But it’s not about a politician changing their mind but about them changing our minds. I understand they have to sing a certain tune and tow the party line but they seem incapable of convincing most people to change and agree with them

Dorset Seagull

We on this board mostly hang out with people with similar tastes that agree with us. We all want to have fulfilling relationships and feel loved by friends and family.

As per Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, esteem and love/belonging are an essential component of human motivation.

NSC in this instance is our family having a love for football in general and in particular a love of the Albion providing our validatidation which is why the Brexit discussion on here has proved so problematic it's like falling out with your family and friends

Question Time panellists generally do not share that family friend bondship with us so validatidation is not a requirement and disagreement is far less problematic.

plus recently Question Times seldom has panellists who under election time circumstances would be B or even C list
As much as we all love each other there is plenty of disagreement on this forum

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
She just can”t leave the dressing-up box alone, can she?

I can tolerate that, but instead of presenting it, she gives her opinion of the facts, which sometimes deny the facts she is supposed to be presenting. I love the Tudor period, and have read many books on it.
She irritated me immensely.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
But it’s not about a politician changing their mind but about them changing our minds. I understand they have to sing a certain tune and tow the party line but they seem incapable of convincing most people to change and agree with them

Valid point. And you have mine.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
...the Brexit discussion on here has proved so problematic it's like falling out with your family and friends

I stopped posting on the Brexit discussion many moons ago. To me, it was the Remainers v the Leavers, and as far as I know, nobody changed sides as a result of the discussion. Thousands of posts, hundreds of hours spent writing and reading, with an end result of... no change in views. What a waste of time!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here