Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Normandy '44: The Battle Beyond D-Day BBC 4 TONIGHT 21:00hrs

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Obviously A Very English Scandal is on at same time but this will be available on Iplayer at 10pm, just after. Looks very good.

As veterans gather to relive one of the turning points of the Second World War, historian James Holland moves beyond the D-Day beaches to reassess the brutal 77-day Battle for Normandy that followed the invasion.

Challenging some of the many myths that have grown up around this vital campaign, Holland argues that we have become too comfortable in our understanding of events, developing shorthand to tell this famous story that does great injustice to those that saw action in France across the summer of 1944.

Including perspectives from those who fought on both sides, Holland examines not only the nature of the fighting and the higher aims of the campaign, but also the operational level - the nuts and bolts - and in so doing reveals the true complexity of this bitter and bloody battle.

This story is about the challenge for both sides to adapt to conditions in a campaign of carnage that has rarely been acknowledged.

More than just well trodden tales of heroic struggle, it is also the story of two competing military doctrines: one ill-prepared for the organisational demands of a long battle, the other in the process of building the greatest military machine ever seen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm watching BBC4 now but it's the unseen documentary about Thorpe from 1979 which was supposed to have been destroyed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm watching BBC4 now but it's the unseen documentary about Thorpe from 1979 which was supposed to have been destroyed.

Yes, the Normandy prog was on at 21:00hrs and lasted for an hour. So it would be over now and I imagine a different program has started.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Obviously A Very English Scandal is on at same time but this will be available on Iplayer at 10pm, just after. Looks very good.

As veterans gather to relive one of the turning points of the Second World War, historian James Holland moves beyond the D-Day beaches to reassess the brutal 77-day Battle for Normandy that followed the invasion.

Challenging some of the many myths that have grown up around this vital campaign, Holland argues that we have become too comfortable in our understanding of events, developing shorthand to tell this famous story that does great injustice to those that saw action in France across the summer of 1944.

Including perspectives from those who fought on both sides, Holland examines not only the nature of the fighting and the higher aims of the campaign, but also the operational level - the nuts and bolts - and in so doing reveals the true complexity of this bitter and bloody battle.

This story is about the challenge for both sides to adapt to conditions in a campaign of carnage that has rarely been acknowledged.

More than just well trodden tales of heroic struggle, it is also the story of two competing military doctrines: one ill-prepared for the organisational demands of a long battle, the other in the process of building the greatest military machine ever seen.

It really winds me up when it comes to history programmes telling ‘the untold story’ or words to that effect: anyone with more than a passing interest will know all this ‘forgotten’ or ‘rarely acknowledged’ stuff and know, for example, that the Normandy campaign was brutal and had a higher casualty rate amongst front line soldiers than the Eastern front etc. No doubting it’s a decent programme but James Holland can’t tell most of us anything that eg Sir Max Hastings didn’t already in the mid 80s. Christ, it’s never been easier to find out stuff In fact. Can’t be an angle or a story left to tell such has been the saturation coverage of commemorative events, books etc down the years. I can still remember Frank Bough heading up the BBC Breakfast programme 40th anniversary from Sword and we’re nearing the 80th now! Longest Day still a fine film :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It really winds me up when it comes to history programmes telling ‘the untold story’ or words to that effect: anyone with more than a passing interest will know all this ‘forgotten’ or ‘rarely acknowledged’ stuff and know, for example, that the Normandy campaign was brutal and had a higher casualty rate amongst front line soldiers than the Eastern front etc. No doubting it’s a decent programme but James Holland can’t tell most of us anything that eg Sir Max Hastings didn’t already in the mid 80s. Christ, it’s never been easier to find out stuff In fact. Can’t be an angle or a story left to tell such has been the saturation coverage of commemorative events, books etc down the years. I can still remember Frank Bough heading up the BBC Breakfast programme 40th anniversary from Sword and we’re nearing the 80th now! Longest Day still a fine film :)

I guess they should just stop making History programs then. We've heard it all before.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I guess they should just stop making History programs then. We've heard it all before.

No, you’re missing the point or I’ve not been clear enough. Just wish they wouldn’t, as more often than not, lead with the (cue dramatic music) ‘forgotten’ or ‘untold’ gubbins. They don’t need to. Just tell the story, and do it well. That’s enough. At least they’ve a creditable presenter, nothing worse than Richard Hammond or Fiona Bruce ‘front of house’ when lots of proper historians and ex service personnel about. I do miss Richard Holmes, god rest his soul.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Stirring stuff,they really were a golden generation of Men and Women,can’t help thinking though,these heroes must look at what successive governments have done to our nation and think,why did we bother getting out of bed?
Wonderful,wonderful people,betrayed and sold down the river by politicians.We’ll never know a generation like these again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here