Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Gigs

D

Deleted User X18H

He never played there. Or the Goldstone and certainly not Gillingham. Or Withers.
I saw him play agianst Albion at Old Trafford in Jan 93.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Whichever the band/artist, in the same manner as new kit/singings, the response would be mixed approximately 50/50 on the merits of said harmony purveyor.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
After some early promise (Fatboy Slim, Rod Stewart) it’s died a death.

Why don’t we see any summer gigs at the Amex anymore?

Don’t recall any issues with those held previously.

They just kind of stopped.

Any idea why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure that the answer is quite simple, if it made financial sense then someone would be doing it. In reality apart from the likes of Wembley which is available throughout the year and very geared up for different types of events very few gigs are held at football stadiums. I would imagine that this is because of availability, costs and logistics.

Although capacity at a venue like the O2 is less I would imagine that the break even point is far lower as everything is geared up from a logistics point of view and where a band or promoter doesn't have to necessarily bring in and assemble stages, lighting and sound rigs, cover pitches, scope and organise security, consider the affect of the weather etc and where all of the merchandise, catering and VIP areas will already be geared up to maximising revenue for different events.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The problem will always be that the Amex is far to close to London.

The stadiums that get the gigs are ones away from the capital, Coventry, Etihad, Old Trafford etc.

Occasionally St Mary’s gets one as no viable stadiums west of that.

For the Amex to get a gig I can only imagine it would be because the band/artist specifically would want to play in Brighton

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

The stadiums that get the gigs are ones away from the capital, Coventry, Etihad, Old Trafford etc.

For the Amex to get a gig I can only imagine it would be because the band/artist specifically would want to play in Brighton

So venues 50 miles apart are too close ?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Although capacity at a venue like the O2 is less I would imagine that the break even point is far lower as everything is geared up from a logistics point of view and where a band or promoter doesn't have to necessarily bring in and assemble stages, lighting and sound rigs, cover pitches, scope and organise security, consider the affect of the weather etc and where all of the merchandise, catering and VIP areas will already be geared up to maximising revenue for different events.

This hits the nail on the head if you ask me. Tours and concerts are most bands/record labels primary source of income these days given so many people stream/download music now which means they get very little money from sales of music. Seeing as the cost of constructing a stage, hiring/putting in sound system and lights etc etc would eat into any potential profits I imagine they'd want to use a venue that is already to go to.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I was thinking that, but that said, the Killers are playing the Macron and Liberty Stadiums this month: both relatively close to cities with much larger venues and population centres.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I was thinking that, but that said, the Killers are playing the Macron and Liberty Stadiums this month: both relatively close to cities with much larger venues and population centres.

True, several venues in Manchester and South Wales, although maybe not available on the dates ?

I suppose promoters know people from the south coast will travel to Wembley/Hyde Park etc for stadium shows so why put the added expense of a show 50 miles down the road.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Just took a look at the tour dates and looks like they are fitting gigs in around festival performances at Latitude and the Isle of Wight. Gigs would have needed to be sufficiently far enough away geographically from those performances (hence locations in wales and up north) and probably struggling with available venues on the dates they wanted. For example Ed Sheeran doing 3 nights at the principality stadium would have ruled Cardiff out.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012

Little Mix are on at Bolton as well . Hurrah !!

( I've actually got no idea who Little Mix are, but Hurrah anyway )

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There are still people wandering around the Amex trying to get home from the Rod Stewart concert ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here