Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Nigeria Friendly Wembley 17.15 Kick Off

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I dont think anything much can be assumed from a friendly. Most of all nobody wants to get injured. Personally I think our new guy has great potential and will take time to get up to speed. Certainly a rough diamond with a great attitude. Hes done far more right than wrong so far

Fair points

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dodgy England performance in the second half, as soon as Nigeria put us under pressure.

Dier, Lingard and Alli haven't had the best of games. Dier caught for pace and out of position in Nigeria counter attacks.

The benchmark - Iwobi is nothing special in the PL whatsoever, but has been causing plenty of problems this half.

Hopefully Southgate will learn a lot from this.

But don’t you think Nigeria have changed their system and are playing a lot higher up?

Southgate (unsurprisingly IMO)just hasn’t reacted tactically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Awful second half.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The last attack was laughable devoid of any idea

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
But shin pads weren't compulsory then a la Dave Thomas.

View attachment 97379

That photo brings back happy memories....Burnley's teenage future England winger Dave Thomas, who was a fantastic crosser, takes on Wolves full-back Derek Parkin. Looking on are Wolves strike legend Derek Dougan and Burnley defender Jim Thomson and, I think, (in the distance) Clarets' ex-England keeper Tony Waiters.

The year? Must be 1969/70 or 1970/71 season.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But don’t you think Nigeria have changed their system and are playing a lot higher up?

Southgate (unsurprisingly IMO)just hasn’t reacted tactically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously Nigeria did.

Leaving England's players looking shell shocked, hoofing, disjointed.

I've been one of the NSC optimists about England this summer. Now that's taken a big dent. My suspicion, but I hope I'm wrong, is that Lingard, Alli, Sterling, etc look good in the CL/PL because they're playing alongside Eriksen, Lukaku, Silva, De Bruyne.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Obviously Nigeria did.

Leaving England's players looking shell shocked, hoofing, disjointed.

I've been one of the NSC optimists about England this summer. Now that's taken a big dent. My suspicion, but I hope I'm wrong, is that Lingard, Alli, Sterling, etc look good in the CL/PL because they're playing alongside Eriksen, Lukaku, Silva, De Bruyne.

Nail on the head.

Not a leader out there.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Can't see possible quarter-final opponents Brazil or Germany going into extra training based on that 2nd half performance.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Southgate must have a spare room full of rabbits feet and horseshoes, and underfoot, four leaf clover instead of carpets.
On the way to the England Manager's interview I reckon every black cat in the country crossed his path and he got to snog as many chimney sweeps as he could find.
Each night I'm sure he goes to bed in his lucky pyjamas as bemused as most are at how the funk he's in charge of England's national team.
How has he managed to pull this off?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here