Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Nigeria Friendly Wembley 17.15 Kick Off

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You're possibly right but lets face facts here, the "golden generation" went out and underachieved.

We are at our lowest ebb and these young lads just need to not completely **** it up at a major tournament and we have a little improvement to work with.

Just don't lose to another Iceland boys and I will be happy.

Largely because of inept foreign managers, the appointment of Capello, was ridiculous.

But yes, you’re right, they badly under-achieved, and a loss to a favourite in the second round or quarter finals, would be a success for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Was this game quite as slow and dull as the highlights implied. Everyone seemed to be walking the ball rather than actually breaking into a trot.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
This match sums up why so many people want - and wait for - England to fail. First half - Nigeria have been shocking. England have done the basics right (No, there was some very creative passing out wide). Second half - England went missing and there was no tempo to the match (the ridiculous amount of substitutions killed the flow of the game).

There's a world-class creative central midfielder missing. Only Jordan Henderson can unlock good defences. Worrying lack of options in this area of the pitch.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This match sums up why so many people want - and wait for - England to fail. First half - Nigeria have been shocking. England have done the basics right (No, there was some very creative passing out wide). Second half - England went missing and there was no tempo to the match (the ridiculous amount of substitutions killed the flow of the game).

There's a world-class creative central midfielder missing. Only Jordan Henderson can unlock good defences. Worrying lack of options in this area of the pitch.

Was with you all the way until Jordan Henderson, wouldn’t be in my team, though as you point out the lack of options is glaring.

As per my earlier post the worst squad in my lifetime.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I caught ten minutes toward the end of the second half then returned to watching my gloss paint drying, there was a really exciting bit when a mozzie flew really close.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Largely because of inept foreign managers, the appointment of Capello, was ridiculous.

Ridiculous might be a bit strong. With the exception of Fat Sam (100%), Capello has the best win percentage of any England Manager (66.7%). No other manager got close to that. He turned as into one of the best teams (if not the best) at qualifying for tournaments. He was, without doubt, head and shoulders above Taylor, McLaren, Allardyce and I hate to say it, Southgate.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I don't think many England fans 'delight' in their poor showings, just a sad realisation of how bang average our national superstars are on a worldwide basis.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But yes, you’re right, they badly under-achieved, and a loss to a favourite in the second round or quarter finals, would be a success for me.

I'm not sure that makes sense. Our first foreign manager was Sven who came in when the supposed best of the English at the time, Keegan, was an abject failure and couldn't stand the heat in the kitchen. We went out to Brazil in 02, surely one of the favourites. 06 went out on penalties to Portugal complete with Ronaldo when we lost Beckham just after halftime with injury and the infamous Rooney sending off. In 2010 we lost to Germany when instead of going in at half time level having been two goals down an on the up, we had a genuine goal disallowed. 2014 was disappointing in that we went out in the group stage but, based on FIFA rankings, ours was the toughest group. Italy also went home early as did Spain, the former not even being on the plane to Russia!

Seems to me that the in thing is to be negative about the national team. Maybe if people lowered their expectation and were realistic and just followed them, much like with Brighton. But that's football, when Brighton were a poor team we could only muster about 6/7k at the Goldstone and Withdean. Get a bit a success and everyone wants to know!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I caught ten minutes toward the end of the second half then returned to watching my gloss paint drying, there was a really exciting bit when a mozzie flew really close.

That's nothing i actually saw 2 dancing only millimeters away from my newly polished wooden (B&Q) floor .

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ridiculous might be a bit strong. With the exception of Fat Sam (100%), Capello has the best win percentage of any England Manager (66.7%). No other manager got close to that. He turned as into one of the best teams (if not the best) at qualifying for tournaments. He was, without doubt, head and shoulders above Taylor, McLaren, Allardyce and I hate to say it, Southgate.

Sven's record wasn't bad. We had some ridiculously bad luck in games and went out to decent teams in tournaments from 2002-2006. We couldn't put a 90 minute performance together though with the talent we had at the time. Terry Venables for me has been the best English manager - very astute but the FA didn't like his alleged dodgy dealings. Euro 96 was amazing; it took the depression away from all the problems with the three c*nt$ Archer, Belotti and Stanley.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I'm not sure that makes sense. Our first foreign manager was Sven who came in when the supposed best of the English at the time, Keegan, was an abject failure and couldn't stand the heat in the kitchen. We went out to Brazil in 02, surely one of the favourites. 06 went out on penalties to Portugal complete with Ronaldo when we lost Beckham just after halftime with injury and the infamous Rooney sending off. In 2010 we lost to Germany when instead of going in at half time level having been two goals down an on the up, we had a genuine goal disallowed. 2014 was disappointing in that we went out in the group stage but, based on FIFA rankings, ours was the toughest group. Italy also went home early as did Spain, the former not even being on the plane to Russia!

Seems to me that the in thing is to be negative about the national team. Maybe if people lowered their expectation and were realistic and just followed them, much like with Brighton. But that's football, when Brighton were a poor team we could only muster about 6/7k at the Goldstone and Withdean. Get a bit a success and everyone wants to know!

It's no good complaining about too much criticism of the NT when your own post is a little bit "revisionist" itself.

2002 - England were playing against a 10 man Brazil for around 40 minutes, never looked like equalising and were deservedly beaten. 2010 - the ghost goal masks the obvious that the Germans were certainly worth their three goal win. As for 2014, two defeats (one to a team you just castigated) and a draw with Costa Rica. This is merely "disappointing"?

Let's not even mention the Euros.

However, it is what it is and in the last few years England have not had sufficiently creative midfield players. Even when they did. our famous lack of tactical match awareness has been apparent. The last time England beat a major nation in a competitive fixture was 2002 (The Argies went out in the group stage that time as they couldn't beat Sweden either)

England should always expect to do their duty and reach the quarter finals, but that's as far as it goes because with the current lot, despite their good fortune to have massively high profiles, aren't as good man-for-man as the other top nations. That's not the fault of the players, they can't help not being good enough.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Seriously wonder exactly how many players are actually picked by the England manager and how many are picked on their advertising merit ratings , i mean who would you want in defence some donkey who can hit 90 yard pinpoint diagonals for fun or somebody who's hair looks nicer using head and shoulders shampoo :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seriously wonder exactly how many players are actually picked by the England manager and how many are picked on their advertising merit ratings , i mean who would you want in defence some donkey who can hit 90 yard pinpoint diagonals for fun or somebody who's hair looks nicer using head and shoulders shampoo :rolleyes:

Joe Hart as a defender? :eek:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's no good complaining about too much criticism of the NT when your own post is a little bit "revisionist" itself.

2002 - England were playing against a 10 man Brazil for around 40 minutes, never looked like equalising and were deservedly beaten. 2010 - the ghost goal masks the obvious that the Germans were certainly worth their three goal win. As for 2014, two defeats (one to a team you just castigated) and a draw with Costa Rica. This is merely "disappointing"?

Let's not even mention the Euros.

However, it is what it is and in the last few years England have not had sufficiently creative midfield players. Even when they did. our famous lack of tactical match awareness has been apparent. The last time England beat a major nation in a competitive fixture was 2002 (The Argies went out in the group stage that time as they couldn't beat Sweden either)

England should always expect to do their duty and reach the quarter finals, but that's as far as it goes because with the current lot, despite their good fortune to have massively high profiles, aren't as good man-for-man as the other top nations. That's not the fault of the players, they can't help not being good enough.

Same sense of entitlement that seems to affect a lot of (English) teams (and fans)........when they’re clearly not good enough. Like our national team, sadly. QFs would be at least achieving expectations for me - anything further will probably get a bus parade and MBEs all round.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not sure what people are expecting from England. It's not a greatly talented group of players but that's not the main problem. The problem as I see it is the manager.

Southgate talks a good game and I'm sure he's a thoroughly intelligent and nice man but he's a charlatan of a manager. He's had one club job in his career, a job that ended with him getting relegated. He then somehow managed to land the U 21's job where, in his only tournament, he came bottom of the group. Compare this to not just the recent success England have had at the junior levels but far more dammingly to Stuart Pearce's record in the same job(a semi final, a final and group stage exit).

I know results aren't the most important thing at the youth levels, performance and development is key. Well, I'd read in the media what a great job he'd been doing in the U 21's so I made a point of watching England in the European championships. We played a slow, turgid, uninspired form of possession football that neither looked like it was going to create any chances let alone score goals nor keep out the opposition other than through boring them to tears. It doesn't sound a million miles away from what I've seen the senior team do during his reign. It fills me with no confidence at all that even my fairly modest hopes for the world cup(we give it a go and make the most of our abilities regardless of results) will be achieved.

I really hope I'm wrong and that we storm out of the gate and entertain the nation and the watching world regardless of how far we get. I sincerely doubt it though. ****ing Southgate!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Performance in finals?

We had easy qualifying groups. Whilst I accept Capello is better than those you’ve mentioned, if Capello had played Bilic’s Croatia at that time, would he have done any better?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

You consider the quarters a success, with the new players we had?

Sorry I don’t agree.....

2010 Germany battered us, it’s easy to hide behind Lampard’s disallowed goal.

Brazil, 02, Beckham was injured mistake taking him, that backfired.

Portugal was harsh I agree.

Venables was unlucky as was Hoddle in France.

My expectations are well and truly lowered now, but they certainly haven’t been previously, and given the quality at our disposal why would they be?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here