Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Allan Holdsworth, Greatest ever British guitar hero?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
AIF

He died about a year ago.

IMHO he was as great a guitarist as Brian May or Mark Knopfler, probably a bit superior...

I got into him when I heard Bill Bruford's album 'Feels Good to Me' (1977)

The track 'Adios a la Pasada' is a perfect illustration of his brilliance.

Problem was, he had no ego, he couldn't care about his image or his wealth...

...he played at Sussex Uni in 1979 or 1980 and I had a couple of pints with him.

The loveliest geezer... but - had he had a bigger ego or more selfishness we'd all know about him!

Funny old guitar world

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
AIF

IMHO he was as great a guitarist as Brian May or Mark Knopfler, probably a bit superior...

...he played at Sussex Uni in 1979 or 1980 and I had a couple of pints with him.

The loveliest geezer... but - had he had a bigger ego or more selfishness we'd all know about him!

Funny old guitar world

He had a crap publicist.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
AIF

Funny old guitar world
Over the years I have come to realise it is pointless - and a bit foolish - to use the adjective 'greatest' - or 'best' - for any guitarist. 'Good' is fine; there are many who are very good, and even words like brilliant or fantastic are occasionally appropriate.
But the greatest? - Nah. There isn't one. Sorry, never heard of your boy; Knopfler's a pretty good shout, but better than Richard Thompson? Better than Page or Beck? More imaginative and inventive than Townshend? And what about Rory Gallagher? - and never mind the likes of the Edge and Slash, who some of the (slightly) younger NSCers might idolise.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Why do people like to associate musicians with rankings?

There's no such thing as the greatest guitarist or the all time number 1 and it's impossible to prove. Music is all a matter of taste. When people ridicule a quality guitarist by claiming some other quality guitarist is a millions times better, it's just ridiculous. It's almost as if people would rather support their chosen guitarists and then choose the guitarist who's going to rival it.

I just see the likes of Hendrix, Santana, Page, Green, Rory Gallagher, Clapton etc all as guitar legends.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Over the years I have come to realise it is pointless - and a bit foolish - to use the adjective 'greatest' - or 'best' - for any guitarist. 'Good' is fine; there are many who are very good, and even words like brilliant or fantastic are occasionally appropriate.
But the greatest? - Nah. There isn't one. Sorry, never heard of your boy; Knopfler's a pretty good shout, but better than Richard Thompson? Better than Page or Beck? More imaginative and inventive than Townshend? And what about Rory Gallagher? - and never mind the likes of the Edge and Slash, who some of the (slightly) younger NSCers might idolise.

Can't believe you didn't mention Hendrix ,who was the greatest.imho.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Martin Lancelot Barre. Occasionaly chubby, bit of early hair loss, so struggled in the 'hero' category. But certainly one of Britain's finest guitarists. Remember Tull rivalled Led Zep as biggest band in the world for a brief period and the Aqualung intro is as recognisable as 'Smoke on the Water'.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Martin Lancelot Barre. Occasionaly chubby, bit of early hair loss, so struggled in the 'hero' category. But certainly one of Britain's finest guitarists. Remember Tull rivalled Led Zep as biggest band in the world for a brief period and the Aqualung intro is as recognisable as 'Smoke on the Water'.

There were so many good /very good guitarists from that era.
I haven't seen Steve Hackett mentioned. Thought he was very good too.
Really though it's subjective and impossible to rank.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Can't believe you didn't mention Hendrix ,who was the greatest.imho.

A tad less British than others mentioned.
Lists are silly anyway. Especially as they tend to value (very much as perceived & simplified by the layman) 'technical abilty' over more important virtues, like timing, soul, feel & originality

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
A few others well worthy of mention:
Peter Haycock (Climax Blues Band)
Dave Edmunds
Dave Kelly (Blues Band)
Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple)
Wilko Johnson (Dr Feelgood)
Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)
Nic Jones
John Renbourn
John McLaughlin

All bring something different in their style, feel, technique and creativity, I reckon.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
peter-green-les-paul.jpg

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Snowy White, David Gilmour, as far as I'm concerned, hate pigeon-holing any musicians..........all about what mood I'm in as to who I play.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Doesn't the plaudit depend on the type of music played. Is John Williams a lesser talent because he plays classical music or Martin Taylor who is a jazzman?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ll just chuck in Robin Trower too, grossly under rated

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here