Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anyone watching the ambulance programme now on bbc1

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
What a caring bunch of people.

Everyone deserves our heartfelt gratitude.

Spot on.

Shows up those full of entitlement but do nothing of use. Am talking about you at the House of Lords who think themselves are worth £300/day just for showing their faces.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Completely agree about the high calibre of the people featured.

The programme raised a few other issues for me. Such as the number of people who had to wait hours for an ambulance. Obviously in this case there was a major incident that needed the attention of five crews. But even so there were going to be a lot of sick or injured people hanging on for hours. Whether this is because we simply don't have enough people who want to do the job or because of (apparently inevitable) shortage of funding I don't know.

It's a combination of things. I have just finished watching the whole series and one thing they touch upon is the number of calls they have that do not really require an ambulance but they are obliged to attend. In the second to last episode they said that half of the 1250 calls received so far in that shift were low priority and the controller said that these were cases that should be dealt with by walk in centres, GP's and pharmacies and as a result, someone in desperate need of an ambulance was not going to get one. One visit on the show was to an elderly lady who had phoned many times but never went to hospital, the medic with her assertained that essentially she was lonely and had no home help, or did not know who to call. It was rather sad, but highlighted how much the ambulance service deals with that perhaps they shouldn't. The whole thing needs re-prioritising and rearranging imo.

Huge respect to all the paramedics though. They really are fantastic. Not a job I would like to or be able to do.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I used to be in the police force and had the pleasure of working with both paramedics and fire officers. I saw and dealt with some grim things but nothing compared with what theses wonderful people do on almost a daily basis.could not do either of the jobs for all the tea in China

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here