Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Thanks for sharing, this is really good information and if anyone has additional info re: men's health I for one would be very grateful to read about it. Thanks and so pleased for the positive outcome

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I asked my GP three or four years ago for a PSA test several years ago, as there was an article in the Daily Mail publicizing PC. He told me as the test was unreliable to go away. Two years ago I went to another GP with some symptoms mentioned earlier in another post. I was examined immediately by him and was told the prostate was enlarged.A few weeks later after having a PSA test of 7.0 l was sent to see a Urologist and was told the prostate was indeed enlarged. Had a MRI scan then a biopsy. Next came a meeting with an Oncologist and was told I had PC but it was localised in the prostate. I was given astonishly several options of treatment, watch and wait and do nothing. Have six months hormone treatment followed by Radiotherapy. I chose to bite the bullet and to have hormone and Radiotherapy treatment which finished last August.My PSA is down to 0.39 now. So my recommendation to any one with urinary problems is to seek medical help. It can be embarrassing and intrusive but get over it

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I thought about this after the first doctor, who looked like she could have been at uni with my daughter asked me if I would like to make an appointment with a male doctor for that examination. The second doctor that did it looked like she was on work experience from secondary school. It is a remarkably un-sexual experience and really not that embarrassing.

Agreed completely - My PSA count is a very low 3 but many of the other symptoms are there so perhaps I am going to hav to have it checked out !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Well I've been diagnosed with prostate cancer, luckily (if that's the right word) it's the more benign kind - I have a Gleason score of 3+3, a low volume disease. As a result I am now on active surveillance which basically means I have a blood test and an MRI every 6 months to check my PSA score and to check whether my prostate has increased in size. I was initially alerted to the possibility of there being a problem when I noticed a small amount of blood in my urine. I was also waking up and going to the toilet once or twice per night and was needing to go to the toilet more regularly. I went to see my GP and he referred me to the Urology dept at RSCH and I was seen by them quickly and I had an initial blood test and MRI which identified a higher than normal PSA score and slightly enlarged prostate. I was prescribed Finasteride and Tamsulosin, which reduce the swelling and help control the bladder. I then had a targeted biopsy which was negative so no cancer diagnosis at this stage. About a year later (i.e. 18 months after my initial visit to my GP) my 6 monthly PSA results were quite high so I had what is called a Template Biopsy under a general anaesthetic. This biopsy identified that I had cancer, as described above. So the upshot is that I am now on 6 monthly surveillance, I'm taking the recognised medication for this diagnosis and I have been advised that this cancer is unlikely to influence my life expectancy.
I would seriously urge anyone with any/some of the symptoms listed by the op to go and see their GP asap. It will not do you any harm to get it checked out and it is treatable if addressed early.

Perhaps you are a patient of a decent GP practice - I will now be pushing for what you have actually described !

Thank you for your post !

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I absolutely understand why you highlighted the symptoms thank you, however I have this ongoing debate with my friends whether we are prioritising our risk of prostate cancer even with no obvious symptoms above other more prevalent and fatal diseases which we rarely seek any testing.

My story is that five mates all about 50 years old booked ourselves in for a free prostate PSA test at the local youth club, one mate was particularly keen for us to attend, fairplay to him I do get it, but when all of us came back with a low PSA reading we naturally congratulated each other and went to the pub and all agreed to have an annual check up.

My point though is unless you have some family history of the disease or some symptoms then it was always likely we were going to return a low reading and in my mind a false sense of security of our overall health, getting a random prostate test for no other apparent reason than perhaps your age without a more multifaceted approach to our overall health seemed a little daft, especially with me and my mates have varying degrees of eating, drinking and exercise habits that don't immediately suggest ongoing good health.

The biggest killer in middle aged men is heart disease, yet none of our successful PSA testing none exercising group know their own blood pressure, cholesterol levels or have any planned lifestyle changes anytime soon, but we're duly booked in to next years PSA's testing :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I was diagnosed late last year after various examinations and tests. I am being monitored and have no plans, as yet, to have what is an enlarged prostrate removed. I'm 56 years old and, as with the OP, thought I was all A OK, but alas it wasn't.

That said St Richard's have me in their regular check up programme and I have many blood tests and template biopsies etc, so the monitoring seems very good. I have stopped eating red meat and the next job is to lose some weight also.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Having recently had my prostate removed after a prostate cancer diagnosis I thought I would post a list of my symptoms so that other men can check themselves.

THERE ARE NO SYMPTOMS

If you look up symptoms for early prostate cancer you will find

Frequent urination

Weak or interrupted urine flow or the need to strain to empty the bladder

The urge to urinate frequently at night

Blood in the urine

Blood in the seminal fluid

New onset of erectile dysfunction

Pain or burning during urination, which is much less common

Discomfort or pain when sitting, caused by an enlarged prostate

I didn't have any of them. Even when I was told I had cancer I still could not identify any symptoms which a 57 year old man couldn't reasonably expect to have and according to my surgeon none of them were symptoms.

So how did they find the cancer. I had a urinary infection and as part of the testing they gave me a digital rectal examination (aka finger up the bum) which couldn't find it as my prostate was not enlarged and the cancer had not broken out so was still smooth. They gave me a PSA blood test (which is notoriously unreliable) which came back as 6.6 and the doctor said they don't usually get excited until it's in double figures but luckily she sent me for a MRI scan where they first picked it up. At no time did I feel I had cancer, but went along with the testing slightly reluctantly thinking they were being over cautious.

So the point of this post. Do not wait for blood in your piss or pooh, it is possibly too late. If you are offered any sort of test take it. THERE ARE NORMALLY NO OVERT SYMPTOMS. I have been very lucky that they found it while it was still within the prostate and now they have removed the prostate I am cancer free and back to full health. Thanks very very much NHS.

My Dad had exactly the same happen to him a few years ago. No symptoms, high PSA value and cancer diagnosis. He fully recovered and I now do a PSA test every year. Not definitive as you said, but give a good indicator. Glad your are cancer free and back to health.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I absolutely understand why you highlighted the symptoms thank you, however I have this ongoing debate with my friends whether we are prioritising our risk of prostate cancer even with no obvious symptoms above other more prevalent and fatal diseases which we rarely seek any testing.

My story is that five mates all about 50 years old booked ourselves in for a free prostate PSA test at the local youth club, one mate was particularly keen for us to attend, fairplay to him I do get it, but when all of us came back with a low PSA reading we naturally congratulated each other and went to the pub and all agreed to have an annual check up.

My point though is unless you have some family history of the disease or some symptoms then it was always likely we were going to return a low reading and in my mind a false sense of security of our overall health, getting a random prostate test for no other apparent reason than perhaps your age without a more multifaceted approach to our overall health seemed a little daft, especially with me and my mates have varying degrees of eating, drinking and exercise habits that don't immediately suggest ongoing good health.

The biggest killer in middle aged men is heart disease, yet none of our successful PSA testing none exercising group know their own blood pressure, cholesterol levels or have any planned lifestyle changes anytime soon, but we're duly booked in to next years PSA's testing :thumbsup:

Good points, it’s not just about PC but I guess they used to say the same about breast cancer before they introduced screening - but prostate cancer now kills more men than breast cancer kills women.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Fair enough but this thread seemed to have largely concentrated upon those who were experiencing the symptoms of prostrate cancer rather than those who opted for some sort of test at the local youth club.

I completely acknowledge your thoughts about heart disease which many of us may unwittingly have so why not start athread on heart disease !

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer many years ago after his uncle was diagnosed and was told to tell his male relatives. My dad never had any symptoms and the finger up the are detected no swelling though he had a slightly elegated PSA. He opted for watchful waiting (as it's called) but did too much waiting and not enough watching or action. A few years later he was suffering terrible back problems. Once in hospital it emerged that the cancer had spread into his spine and elsewhere and as his psa was very high something would have been detected. He died soon after.

After that I have a psa test every year or 2 courtesy of my gp, first one when I was late 40s.
[MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION]: you can ask your gp to check blood pressure, cholesterol and all that. You'll get sent on for more tests if neededicated and offered a statin if your cholesterol needs lowering. As well as having a dad diagnosed with prostate cancer in his 50s I have a brother and mother both diagnosed with coronary heart disease in their 40s, so I seem to get tested for everything!

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Most important thread to be created this summer...

Men just don't talk or discuss these things and its often to late.
I recently had testicular cancer, which spread after removal and slowly came back a year later
Currently all fine, but you take it a month at a time.

The one bit of advise I can give is 'you know your body', if something doesn't feel right, get a check up.
If you have sore testicle, its enlarged or the vain going to the testicle feels thicker, get it checked.

Brighton Oncology depart are brilliant, thank god for the NHS !

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer many years ago after his uncle was diagnosed and was told to tell his male relatives. My dad never had any symptoms and the finger up the are detected no swelling though he had a slightly elegated PSA. He opted for watchful waiting (as it's called) but did too much waiting and not enough watching or action. A few years later he was suffering terrible back problems. Once in hospital it emerged that the cancer had spread into his spine and elsewhere and as his psa was very high something would have been detected. He died soon after.

After that I have a psa test every year or 2 courtesy of my gp, first one when I was late 40s.
[MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION]: you can ask your gp to check blood pressure, cholesterol and all that. You'll get sent on for more tests if neededicated and offered a statin if your cholesterol needs lowering. As well as having a dad diagnosed with prostate cancer in his 50s I have a brother and mother both diagnosed with coronary heart disease in their 40s, so I seem to get tested for everything!

That is such a great synopsis of mens attitude to health. When I got the diagnosis it was like a wrecking ball and I didn't ask any pertinent questions. They sent me home with a booklet and asked me to choose between the op or radiography. After reading the booklet I decided on 'watchful waiting'. I'm young. strong and virtually immortal. It wasn't a realistic choice evidently. Very much a dent to my male pride so I am now sans prostate.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Fair enough but this thread seemed to have largely concentrated upon those who were experiencing the symptoms of prostrate cancer rather than those who opted for some sort of test at the local youth club.

I completely acknowledge your thoughts about heart disease which many of us may unwittingly have so why not start athread on heart disease !

My post wasn't meant to demean the seriousness of prostate cancer nor those that might have it, it was more a thought on how we can sometimes focus on one aspect of our health whilst disregarding another.

For the record the 'some sort of test at the local youth club' was run by Prostate Cancer UK, I dont think it was a prank, I am pretty sure the tests and testers were bona fide !

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I was diagnosed eight years ago when I was 53. The only options I was given were active surveillance or removal, I went for the surveillance as I couldn't think of losing any part of my body at the time.

The last MRI scan I had detected something protruding into my bladder, so had to go to Haywards Heath for a flexible cystoscopy. This involved the urologist (young woman) ('y') insert a probe into my bladder (no guesses as to the entrance hole) for a look around. It was done under local anesthetic so I was able to have a shufti as well. There was a large looking cyst hanging off the bladder wall and the urologist wanted to take a photo of it, so she asked the nurse to take the mobile out of her bag and take a shot of the screen. I couldn't help thinking this was going to do the rounds of the medical facebooks or whatever (hey guess what I saw today:) ).

After the cystoscopy I had to go back later for a biopsy. This was done under general anesthetic and I spent the next few days passing blood-clots and praying there would be no infection. Luckily the cyst was benign.

I guess I have become very aware of my body now and will hopefully know if something starts to move.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

most ? doctors surgerys have a blood pressure machine there ,which you can check your own and get a printed read-out ,

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Wow. NSC altruism...outstanding.

Good man. Very clear and helpful.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
most ? doctors surgerys have a blood pressure machine there ,which you can check your own and get a printed read-out ,

That's my point really, when middle age men have unrestricted access to multiple tests for more prevelant diseases why would low risk middle age men use prostate detection unilaterally over say cardio health which statistically is far more likely to lead to a premature death.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Has anyone ever been tempted to say to an attractive lady doing the finger jab "That's feels great. Can you do it again please?" :D

Some very useful information on this thread. Frightening to think that prostate rather than breast cancer is a bigger killer now. My dad's first symptoms were a urinary infection which put him in hospital. Showing me the operation afterwards still makes me feel a bit nauseous though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has anyone ever been tempted to say to an attractive lady doing the finger jab "That's feels great. Can you do it again please?" :D

Some very useful information on this thread. Frightening to think that prostate rather than breast cancer is a bigger killer now. My dad's first symptoms were a urinary infection which put him in hospital. Showing me the operation afterwards still makes me feel a bit nauseous though.

Indeed, the stats are scary, particularly when you take into account the publicity, fundraising etc that is directed towards breast cancer - and I bet a lot of us have actively encouraged other halves to go and have their (equally unpleasant, if not worse) smear tests and breast screening, but when it comes to ourselves.......

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
What a fantastic thread this is, with so much honesty and good advice from everyone. It's what makes NSC so much more than somewhere to talk about football. From PC to mental health, people have used this platform as a force for good, and even when we ARE talking football, the psychological benefit I get from a lot of the posts (like laughing out loud!) is worth it's weight in gold! Long may these discussions continue, and good luck and good health to all who have contributed to this eye-opening and important thread!:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here