Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Having recently had my prostate removed after a prostate cancer diagnosis I thought I would post a list of my symptoms so that other men can check themselves.

THERE ARE NO SYMPTOMS

If you look up symptoms for early prostate cancer you will find

Frequent urination

Weak or interrupted urine flow or the need to strain to empty the bladder

The urge to urinate frequently at night

Blood in the urine

Blood in the seminal fluid

New onset of erectile dysfunction

Pain or burning during urination, which is much less common

Discomfort or pain when sitting, caused by an enlarged prostate

I didn't have any of them. Even when I was told I had cancer I still could not identify any symptoms which a 57 year old man couldn't reasonably expect to have and according to my surgeon none of them were symptoms.

So how did they find the cancer. I had a urinary infection and as part of the testing they gave me a digital rectal examination (aka finger up the bum) which couldn't find it as my prostate was not enlarged and the cancer had not broken out so was still smooth. They gave me a PSA blood test (which is notoriously unreliable) which came back as 6.6 and the doctor said they don't usually get excited until it's in double figures but luckily she sent me for a MRI scan where they first picked it up. At no time did I feel I had cancer, but went along with the testing slightly reluctantly thinking they were being over cautious.

So the point of this post. Do not wait for blood in your piss or pooh, it is possibly too late. If you are offered any sort of test take it. THERE ARE NORMALLY NO OVERT SYMPTOMS. I have been very lucky that they found it while it was still within the prostate and now they have removed the prostate I am cancer free and back to full health. Thanks very very much NHS.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I was rather hoping it was going to be something obvious. A friend (same age as me, 60) has just had his prostate taken out as it was cancerous, but he had quite a few of the 'classic' signs. I think I have to wee a bit more than I used to in the past, but it's not massively different. Everything else is as it was.

But given your experiences if I went for the tests and they came back negative - I still might have it anyway?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Glad you're back to your old self, Dolp Ins.

That list is frightening although a lot of it I put down to getting a bit older. My dad had to have a prostate operation that kept him in hospital for a week. I had a test recently that ruled out anything wrong with the prostate.

These health threads are so important though to get men checked themselves out.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Blimey, I was rather hoping it was going to be something obvious. A friend (same age as me, 60) has just had his prostate taken out as it was cancerous, but he had quite a few of the 'classic' signs. I think I have to wee a bit more than I used to in the past, but it's not massively different. Everything else is as it was.

But given your experiences if I went for the tests and they came back negative - I still might have it anyway?

41,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer each year but 75% are over 65yo so chances are you wont have it. I did fret that I may be overly worrying people, but thought the message was important. Personally I was expecting blood in the piss to be the 'early' sign.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Having recently had my prostate removed after a prostate cancer diagnosis I thought I would post a list of my symptoms so that other men can check themselves.

THERE ARE NO SYMPTOMS

Frequent urination

Blood in the urine

I didn't have any of them. Even when I was told I had cancer I still could not identify any symptoms which a 57 year old man couldn't reasonably expect to have and according to my surgeon none of them were symptoms.

So how did they find the cancer. I had a urinary infection and as part of the testing they gave me a digital rectal examination (aka finger up the bum) which couldn't find it as my prostate was not enlarged and the cancer had not broken out so was still smooth. They gave me a PSA blood test (which is notoriously unreliable) which came back as 6.6 and the doctor said they don't usually get excited until it's in double figures but luckily she sent me for a MRI scan where they first picked it up. At no time did I feel I had cancer, but went along with the testing slightly reluctantly thinking they were being over cautious.

So the point of this post. Do not wait for blood in your piss or pooh, it is possibly too late. If you are offered any sort of test take it. THERE ARE NORMALLY NO OVERT SYMPTOMS. I have been very lucky that they found it while it was still within the prostate and now they have removed the prostate I am cancer free and back to full health. Thanks very very much NHS.

Great news that you're back to a clean bill of health [MENTION=29546]Dolph Ins[/MENTION].

One of my mates is currently going battling bowel cancer (he's only 38) which has been made more difficult due to a late diagnosis; a result of brushing off many of the obvious symptoms.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Men check yourself regularly and contact the doctor with any symptoms. I lost two uncles, one with testicular cancer and the other with prostate cancer. The diagnosis and treatments are far more advanced nowadays.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Having seen my dad die of prostate cancer and how viciously it took him. I got checked out and my PSA was high for a 46 bloke, I'm OK but am under reguarly check-ups. I would recommend any man over 45 to get checked out. I am so happy to hear of a survivor.

theboybilly

A serious, and probably stupid, question here but as a man approaching his 64th birthday how do you go about getting checked out? Do I simply make an appointment with my GP and ask for a physical 'MOT' that would include a prostate check and say, ECG and cholesterol checks? Can I really do this without ANY symptoms...I already do the bi-annual bowel cancer tests but reading this post has made me think I should now be doing something

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Yup well done for posting. I was dianosed at 50 and had Radiotherepy. (There are alternatives to surgery in some cases)
Seems strange coming round to the 10th anniversary. I am still being watched as it was an experimental treatment, and guess I will always be as a consequence.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
A serious, and probably stupid, question here but as a man approaching his 64th birthday how do you go about getting checked out? Do I simply make an appointment with my GP and ask for a physical 'MOT' that would include a prostate check and say, ECG and cholesterol checks? Can I really do this without ANY symptoms...I already do the bi-annual bowel cancer tests but reading this post has made me think I should now be doing something

My best mate after hearing my diagnosis went to his doctor and asked for a PSA blood test, and was given one, but unfortunately it can throw up false results. There has been some mention in newspapers of new tests coming on line. Go and ask your doctor, and I'm sure at 64 you can say you are waking in the night to pee, who the hell doesn't.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was checked a couple of years back as I had a related (though fortunately harmless issue). I went private as wifey gets bupa for the family and had to visit the consultant at his office attached to a very nice house one evening. I still cannot drive past it without thinking "That's where a bloke stuck his finger up my arse"*

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have at least half of those symptoms , up to the loo several times a night. However, they tell me that my enlarged prostate is benign so I carry on ... if it gets worse I will request a referral to the hospital for consultation . Glad you are o k now.

theboybilly

My best mate after hearing my diagnosis went to his doctor and asked for a PSA blood test, and was given one, but unfortunately it can throw up false results. There has been some mention in newspapers of new tests coming on line. Go and ask your doctor, and I'm sure at 64 you can say you are waking in the night to pee, who the hell doesn't.

Thank you. Thankfully I'm not at the doctor's very often so I'm not sure how things work really. All I ever hear is that people have to negotiate a Front-desk know-all who vets who gets to see the GP- usually without success. I shall give this a go after my holiday in a week's time. Thanks again

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Thank you. Thankfully I'm not at the doctor's very often so I'm not sure how things work really. All I ever hear is that people have to negotiate a Front-desk know-all who vets who gets to see the GP- usually without success. I shall give this a go after my holiday in a week's time. Thanks again

The PSA is just a blood test and not done by a doctor. I don't know if the front desk know-all can OK this or if you have to actually see your doctor first.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Just tell them you suspect you might have cancer and want a test. Anything else is nothing to do with them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

THERE ARE NO SYMPTOMS

Frequent urination

Blood in the urine

Great post and so glad it was picked up and dealt with. Most of us blokes go out of our way to avoid talking about stuff like this, let alone doing anything about it which is so daft.......treatment rates are very good if picked up early. Two of my golfing pals have had it, both successfully treated. For a quick and fairly painless, if embarrassing few seconds don’t gamble. I get ‘done’ at my annual medical........

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I was checked a couple of years back as I had a related (though fortunately harmless issue). I went private as wifey gets bupa for the family and had to visit the consultant at his office attached to a very nice house one evening. I still cannot drive past it without thinking "That's where a bloke stuck his finger up my arse"*

So does that make you lucky ! How would you have felt having had a female GP stick her finger up your arse ?

PS. Don't reply @ excited !

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
First time I asked the doctor he was a bit hesitant as if I was spending his money..
This time I found The lions club in uckfield doing a couple of blood test screening mornings. Also checked for Diabetes.
Very quick and professional. With a quick posted reply.
Always worth keeping an eye out ,not sure if they do it nationally.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
So does that make you lucky ! How would you have felt having had a female GP stick her finger up your arse ?

PS. Don't reply @ excited !

I thought about this after the first doctor, who looked like she could have been at uni with my daughter asked me if I would like to make an appointment with a male doctor for that examination. The second doctor that did it looked like she was on work experience from secondary school. It is a remarkably un-sexual experience and really not that embarrassing.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Well I've been diagnosed with prostate cancer, luckily (if that's the right word) it's the more benign kind - I have a Gleason score of 3+3, a low volume disease. As a result I am now on active surveillance which basically means I have a blood test and an MRI every 6 months to check my PSA score and to check whether my prostate has increased in size. I was initially alerted to the possibility of there being a problem when I noticed a small amount of blood in my urine. I was also waking up and going to the toilet once or twice per night and was needing to go to the toilet more regularly. I went to see my GP and he referred me to the Urology dept at RSCH and I was seen by them quickly and I had an initial blood test and MRI which identified a higher than normal PSA score and slightly enlarged prostate. I was prescribed Finasteride and Tamsulosin, which reduce the swelling and help control the bladder. I then had a targeted biopsy which was negative so no cancer diagnosis at this stage. About a year later (i.e. 18 months after my initial visit to my GP) my 6 monthly PSA results were quite high so I had what is called a Template Biopsy under a general anaesthetic. This biopsy identified that I had cancer, as described above. So the upshot is that I am now on 6 monthly surveillance, I'm taking the recognised medication for this diagnosis and I have been advised that this cancer is unlikely to influence my life expectancy.
I would seriously urge anyone with any/some of the symptoms listed by the op to go and see their GP asap. It will not do you any harm to get it checked out and it is treatable if addressed early.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here