Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Grenfell

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have been involved with survivors. I think the council has been particularly to blame at not just ignoring tenants in their complaints but actually bullying those who complained. The council had a disregard for poor and largely black tenants and the more vulnerable you were, the higher up you were housed.

I've been blown away by survivors volunteering to try and make things better in the future whilst still in hotels. The first person I met had lived in Grenfell for 16 years, in her 30s, her kids at 12 & 13, both played the cello and French horn for the London philharmonic youth orchestra.

Blew away all my preconceptions.

The second person was rehoused and then burnt out again by a new neighbour. Still volunteered to make things better for people in the future

It must be heartbreaking to hear their stories.

On a side note, a West Indian missed his mother's funeral due to being refused entry, revealed as part of the Windrush story. The Home Office has a lot to answer for.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Howard Fineman former global editor of the Huff Post now one of the head honchos of MSNBC.

He (or I in that post) didn't say the majority just that those who are, of which there are more than you'd imagine, pro wall are loudly pro wall.

Much like how the chap, sitting on the park bench, with a tin foil hat, talks about chem trails quite loudly? Got it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Much like how the chap, sitting on the park bench, with a tin foil hat, talks about chem trails quite loudly? Got it.

If that's how you choose to view the opinion of a 40+ year Washington political journalist with not only Huff Post and MSNBC on his CV but has previously been the senior editor of Newsweek, then so be it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I’m confused with the numbers reported. Grenfell housed up to 600 people. And in a fire when most people would be at home in bed, 80 people died and 255 were evacuated. Unless I have my figures wrong, what has happened to the other 250 people?

Last edited:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Speaking on the 7th day of the inquiry a women told about her 65 yo mother who was housed on the 18th floor despite being partially sighted and got around using a tri-walker.
The 65-year-old grandmother died alongside her sister Fatemeh, who had been visiting her.
And if you think all that is sad wait until you hear this-
The inquiry heard that Fatemah's husband was unable to pay tribute to the mother of five because his immigration application was refused. Really, what sort of country are we? He should have been picked up and driven to the inquiry if they felt he was unsafe.

Sorry, just so angry that I had to write something.

Very sad but it is extremely doubtful there would have been immigration officers at the Grenfell Inquiry ready and waiting to arrest and deport him. Would imagine they have other cases to deal with and in any case deportation takes some time. I would have thought it added significant compassionate reasons to his case if he had turned up to give evidence and if arrested he could have made an application under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act (right to family life) surely?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m confused with the numbers reported. Grenfell housed up to 600 people. And in a fire when most people would be at home in bed, 80 people died and 255 were evacuated. Unless I have my figures wrong, what has happened to the other 250 people?

:fishing: to drag up an old conspiracy, based on nothing but a youtube clip at the time. there were 120-odd flats, many single occupancy, with no evidence that there were 600 people living in the block.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
:fishing: to drag up an old conspiracy, based on nothing but a youtube clip at the time. there were 120-odd flats, many single occupancy, with no evidence that there were 600 people living in the block.

I didn't know it was an old conspiracy but I remember at the time some residents were claiming that two or three hundred had not escaped.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't know it was an old conspiracy but I remember at the time some residents were claiming that two or three hundred had not escaped.

I've always felt that the death toll of 72 was remarkably low. Even the tenant management organisation and the council didn't know who was living in that tower block.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very sad but it is extremely doubtful there would have been immigration officers at the Grenfell Inquiry ready and waiting to arrest and deport him. Would imagine they have other cases to deal with and in any case deportation takes some time. I would have thought it added significant compassionate reasons to his case if he had turned up to give evidence and if arrested he could have made an application under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act (right to family life) surely?

How do you get through passport contol at the airport?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Shift workers could account for some of that.

That said, I'm not sure what the deal is when people imply there were a lot more dead. What would anybody- specifically the government- have to gain by fiddling the figures? If 150 people died, it can't really make that dreadful situation worse: it's a human tragedy whether ten, fifty or a hundred perished.

Also, how would you keep it quiet if you had tried to hush up the numbers? Are families going to say nothing when the list of dead is published and all their relatives are seemingly not on it? Granted, some might have reasons not to stir things up, but there's no way in my mind another fifty (say) grieving families are just going to pretend everything is fine (and other people would notice their loss even if they didn't publicly say anything!).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

fair enough. it made me angry at the time, people wanting to make more of a tragedy. one youtube clip made a claim, it "went viral" and then attention seekers made assumptions from there. the initial number you cite is false to begin, the official capacity was only ~220, a mix of 1 and 2 bed flats. obviously some would have had more, equally some would have been just been the expected occupancy. for 600 you'd need nearly 5 to every flat.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The biggest question yet to be answered is why was wrong advise given to these residents by the authorities (Fire Brigade). As yet virtually no word of this and yet it would have appeared that with the correct advice this tragedy on such terms could have been averted. Cover up coming from the Fire Brigade, senior members of the brigade already on sick leave with stress, I do hope the truth will come out. Whats the bully Khan had to say about all this? LFB not fit for purpose in this case.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Screenshot_2017-09-19-08-05-33.pngTScreenshot_2017-09-19-08-05-33.pngI wouldnt wish this tragedy on anybody , but here a list of the poor souls that perished , how many british names on that list ? (ive heard the relatives accents on news reports so lets not try to pretend they were all native) when my marriage went tits up i ended up in a bedsit with a mini fridge and cooker in the corner which i struggled to pay for as i was skint, worked and paid taxes all my life, been in the army, where*was MY f*cking council flat ?? they can*find em for everybkdy except our own

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The biggest question yet to be answered is why was wrong advise given to these residents by the authorities (Fire Brigade). As yet virtually no word of this and yet it would have appeared that with the correct advice this tragedy on such terms could have been averted. Cover up coming from the Fire Brigade, senior members of the brigade already on sick leave with stress, I do hope the truth will come out. Whats the bully Khan had to say about all this? LFB not fit for purpose in this case.

No - the biggest questions are why this happened, was it preventable, and what can be done to stop in from happening again?

The advice given previously by the fire brigade (to stay put) was sound assuming that tower blocks were designed and built to the specification that they should have been. Now they've changed their advice (to flee rather than stay put) as they are not satisfied with the structural integrity of many tower blocks.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-cladding-unsafe-fire-brigade-advice-to-flee

No idea why you've fabricated the notion of a cover up - and chosen to blame the Mayor for it when he had been in place for six weeks at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here