Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Thread: Grenfell

  1. #1
    Uckfield Seagull I remember the good times's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    4,069

    Grenfell


    10 Not allowed!
    Speaking on the 7th day of the inquiry a women told about her 65 yo mother who was housed on the 18th floor despite being partially sighted and got around using a tri-walker.
    The 65-year-old grandmother died alongside her sister Fatemeh, who had been visiting her.
    And if you think all that is sad wait until you hear this-
    The inquiry heard that Fatemah's husband was unable to pay tribute to the mother of five because his immigration application was refused. Really, what sort of country are we? He should have been picked up and driven to the inquiry if they felt he was unsafe.


    Sorry, just so angry that I had to write something.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by I remember the good times View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Speaking on the 7th day of the inquiry a women told about her 65 yo mother who was housed on the 18th floor despite being partially sighted and got around using a tri-walker.
      The 65-year-old grandmother died alongside her sister Fatemeh, who had been visiting her.
      And if you think all that is sad wait until you hear this-
      The inquiry heard that Fatemah's husband was unable to pay tribute to the mother of five because his immigration application was refused. Really, what sort of country are we? He should have been picked up and driven to the inquiry if they felt he was unsafe.


      Sorry, just so angry that I had to write something.
      As you say, there would have been ways to make his trip happen. At best, our govt processes are not tapped in to key information (such as the families of Grenfell victims); at worst, they are joined up, but still no-one who can make it happen actually cares if it does. Very sad.
    • #3
      Now The Party's Over Beach Hut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Living In a Box
      Posts
      65,415


      2 Not allowed!
      Personally think we, as a country, are veering towards inherent racialism which is the unfortunate consequences of Brexit.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
    • #4
      Members Saunders's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      714


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by raymondo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As you say, there would have been ways to make his trip happen. At best, our govt processes are not tapped in to key information (such as the families of Grenfell victims); at worst, they are joined up, but still no-one who can make it happen actually cares if it does. Very sad.
      If they actually cared this would have never happened in the first place.
    • #5
      Members The_Viper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      3,580


      7 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Personally think we, as a country, are veering towards inherent racialism which is the unfortunate consequences of Brexit.
      Plenty of white people in that tragedy. This isn't a race problem as much as its a class problem. The whole thing is a ****ing farce and it makes me livid just thinking about it all.
    • #6
      Now The Party's Over Beach Hut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Living In a Box
      Posts
      65,415


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Viper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Plenty of white people in that tragedy. This isn't a race problem as much as its a class problem. The whole thing is a ****ing farce and it makes me livid just thinking about it all.
      You are probably right but it appears our current government seem very anti-immigrants
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
    • #7
      Marmite looney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      15,722


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You are probably right but it appears our current government seem very anti-immigrants
      If they are they are not very good at it, over half a million arrived last year.
    • #8
      Minister of Information
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      10,108


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You are probably right but it appears our current government seem very anti-immigrants
      These policies and actions are merely created to appease headline writers.
      Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      ....and you seem to be hanging around these politics threads for an unhealthy amount of time...
    • #9
      Members Saunders's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      714


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You are probably right but it appears our current government seem very anti-immigrants
      As he said its a class thing or more money thing. Plenty of immigrants voted for brexit themselves in London something people seem to pretend didnt happen.
    • #10
      Fur half
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Lentil land
      Posts
      690


      5 Not allowed!
      I have been involved with survivors. I think the council has been particularly to blame at not just ignoring tenants in their complaints but actually bullying those who complained. The council had a disregard for poor and largely black tenants and the more vulnerable you were, the higher up you were housed.

      I've been blown away by survivors volunteering to try and make things better in the future whilst still in hotels. The first person I met had lived in Grenfell for 16 years, in her 30s, her kids at 12 & 13, both played the cello and French horn for the London philharmonic youth orchestra.

      Blew away all my preconceptions.

      The second person was rehoused and then burnt out again by a new neighbour. Still volunteered to make things better for people in the future

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •