Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Great world cup moments

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
'82 Italy v Brazil the commentary from Motty when Zico did a turn is legendary.

Game featured my favourite Brazilian player Socrates

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
All things Johan Cruyff 1974. One of the greatest players ever.

Lineker, supported by the brilliant Beardsley and Hodge, rescues England's 1986 WC with a hatrick versus Poland. I remember watchiing this one around midnight.

11 th June 86 ,started my first ever job next day . Game finished at 1 am up at 5 30,boy that was one long day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lineker, supported by the brilliant Beardsley and Hodge, rescues England's 1986 WC with a hatrick versus Poland. I remember watchiing this one around midnight.

I was 14, and got to watch it because I was in my own room in hospital for a week. Absolute scenes as Robson got lucky with the Beardsley/Lineker combination and we never looked back. We really could have won that tournament, after doing that classic thing of starting horribly and growing into the tournament.

theboybilly

The Carlos Alberto goal is the pinnacle for me. Nothing will ever come near the brilliance and exuberance of that side and that final goal just signed, sealed and delivered the perfect ending. They played football with a joy in their hearts and magic in their boots and should be held up for all time as the way to play the game. Every player was confident on the ball, had good control and could go past people. They didn't go backwards very often and when they did, it was only briefly.
Every young child becoming interested in football should be shown film of that side and I guarantee that they will fall in love with the game.

The year the World Cup came of age as a spectacle for me. 1966 was great because of how it ended for us but there were some dull teams involved. 1970's edition was so much better and to have that Brazil side in it was the icing on the cake. I judge all World Cup finals against this one and none since has come close (for me)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
11 th June 86 ,started my first ever job next day . Game finished at 1 am up at 5 30,boy that was one long day.

I remember leaving a note for my early riser Dad, that England had won. He'd gone to bed assuming that we were out, after the disasters against Portugal and Morocco. The Poland side was highly regarded with Juve striker Boniek.

A great summer all round. Good weather in the UK, great music and for me a never to be forgotten fortnight in Magaluff a couple of weeks after the Poland match.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Belgium. You wouldn't want to be Belgium would you. Sometimes it seems they only get invited so that other teams can score absolute worldies against them:

Edit: Negrete's was against Bulgaria, which looks a bit like Belgium if you squint.

[yt]y8w89sl7Grc[/yt]
[yt]jV92Cp4Qmkg[/yt]
[yt]vBuR-I4AT-o[/yt]
[yt]AFmFcpbR4L0[/yt]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was 14, and got to watch it because I was in my own room in hospital for a week. Absolute scenes as Robson got lucky with the Beardsley/Lineker combination and we never looked back. We really could have won that tournament, after doing that classic thing of starting horribly and growing into the tournament.

Terry Butcher was on the radio last week and basically said that the ref knew full well that Maradona had handled. It had crossed their minds about decking the cheat afterwards under the stands, but sportsmanship won.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The headbutt

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mrs Schweinsteiger getting the beers in :love: Edit: damn just spotted it was Euro's not WC :facepalm:

seb.jpg

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The Carlos Alberto goal is the pinnacle for me. Nothing will ever come near the brilliance and exuberance of that side and that final goal just signed, sealed and delivered the perfect ending. They played football with a joy in their hearts and magic in their boots and should be held up for all time as the way to play the game. Every player was confident on the ball, had good control and could go past people. They didn't go backwards very often and when they did, it was only briefly.
Every young child becoming interested in football should be shown film of that side and I guarantee that they will fall in love with the game.

That has always been my all time favourite goal. Just love seeing it again and again. Love the off lay. It takes an eternity for Alberto to arrive from stage right to drill it in. A cracking wormburner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here