[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sunderland are however in a completely different situation. Debt free with parachute payments in league one.

They will hold out for the best price.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

It may be true about their debts.

But their third tier status is also relevant to the player, who has a limited career span, and I would imagine- like most players- wants to spend it playing at as high a level as possible. There is loyalty occasionally, and perhaps if they'd merely gone down to the Championship from the PL, there's a chance he might be convinced to stay and see himself back in the PL within one season. But now he's a minimum of two years away from that position, and being offered- whether by us or another club- the chance to be back up there in August. And the chance, assuming the other club is of a similar status to us, to have a decent season and put himself in with a chance of being snapped up by one of the PL big boys.

Regardless of Sunderland's finances, we'll be offering him more money than he's currently earning, and even if he was minded to offer Sunderland some sort of loyalty, there's a fair likelihood that his wife/ partner as well as his agent will be telling him to be grabbing the bigger contract while he can. What if he stayed at Sunderland and then picked up a career ending injury in game two? Where does "loyalty" get him then? No chance.

So he'll advise them he wants to leave. Then they have the decision as to whether they play hardball with PL clubs over a player who's stated he no longer wants to be there. Play it too hard and they'll be left with a player on high wages who's not contributing, a sort of Jack Rodwell situation which benefits nobody.

McNair won't be playing for Sunderland next season, it's quite clear. Their fans on ALS who are claiming he should show loyalty are deluding themselves (and I felt the same when it was us in their position a few years back). It's just a question of where he ends up and how brave the Mackems are willing to be with the game of brinkmanship.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In fact we probably had similar discussions on here about Bridcutt and Buckley

Very much like Buckley, good technique, quick, started off well, but as injury prone as Buckley, whether unlucky or made of glass?
Video not a patch on the Buckley one.

PS: I never rated Bridcutt very much at the EPL standard.

McNair price (ante £3.5 m) very much depends on his injuries prognosis. More so for a defender* (where reliability is more important) than a winger! *Looks more like a defender than midfielder from the video.)

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Limited information research: it appears McNair's knee injury was not caused by wear and tear but a collision, so unlike Buckley.

More versatile than Goldson so more chance of getting in the first XI. Younger as well.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Being linked with Derby, Stoke and Norwich now.

Are we actually after him, in reality ? ???

Something doesn't seem right here, the club are normally so secretive yet not for this one.

C----- it would be sad if we couldn't drag that one over the line given Championship opposition (esp Derby) !

It seems we could close this out for perhaps £1m more.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
C----- it would be sad if we couldn't drag that one over the line given Championship opposition (esp Derby) !

It seems we could close this out for perhaps £1m more.

If its the premier league he wants then I imagine we are in the driving seat if we really want him

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Very much like Buckley, good technique, quick, started off well, but as injury prone as Buckley, whether unlucky or made of glass?
Video not a patch on the Buckley one.

PS: I never rated Bridcutt very much at the EPL standard.

McNair price (ante £3.5 m) very much depends on his injuries prognosis. More so for a defender* (where reliability is more important) than a winger! *Looks more like a defender than midfielder from the video.)

Do you ever get bored of just posting constant streams of shit that nobody understands?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Just saw that Paddy McNair is in Costa Rica at the moment as NI have a friendly against Costa Rica tomorrow. I'm about to head in to San Jose this afternoon and will keep my eyes PEELED for PADDY and encourage him to sign up the Hughton Revolution!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It may be true about their debts.

But their third tier status is also relevant to the player, who has a limited career span, and I would imagine- like most players- wants to spend it playing at as high a level as possible. There is loyalty occasionally, and perhaps if they'd merely gone down to the Championship from the PL, there's a chance he might be convinced to stay and see himself back in the PL within one season. But now he's a minimum of two years away from that position, and being offered- whether by us or another club- the chance to be back up there in August. And the chance, assuming the other club is of a similar status to us, to have a decent season and put himself in with a chance of being snapped up by one of the PL big boys.

Regardless of Sunderland's finances, we'll be offering him more money than he's currently earning, and even if he was minded to offer Sunderland some sort of loyalty, there's a fair likelihood that his wife/ partner as well as his agent will be telling him to be grabbing the bigger contract while he can. What if he stayed at Sunderland and then picked up a career ending injury in game two? Where does "loyalty" get him then? No chance.

So he'll advise them he wants to leave. Then they have the decision as to whether they play hardball with PL clubs over a player who's stated he no longer wants to be there. Play it too hard and they'll be left with a player on high wages who's not contributing, a sort of Jack Rodwell situation which benefits nobody.

McNair won't be playing for Sunderland next season, it's quite clear. Their fans on ALS who are claiming he should show loyalty are deluding themselves (and I felt the same when it was us in their position a few years back). It's just a question of where he ends up and how brave the Mackems are willing to be with the game of brinkmanship.
The fact of the matter is that Sunderland are in a position (unlike other clubs who have dropped like a stone) to reject speculative bids to pay the electricity.

..which they have haven't they ?

He will leave but not at a fire sell price.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8475637 said:
Just saw that Paddy McNair is in Costa Rica at the moment as NI have a friendly against Costa Rica tomorrow. I'm about to head in to San Jose this afternoon and will keep my eyes PEELED for PADDY and encourage him to sign up the Hughton Revolution!

The match is apparently being shown on the BBC Red Button at 6.00 pm if anyone wants to run their eye over PM !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here