Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I think he’s making a good point. Our recruitment team couldn’t have seen him play that much as he hasn’t actually played that much. Add in the fact that Sunderland have been a basket case and you probably can’t fairly assess individual players performances there recently, it has to be a bit of a punt, if an educated one.

He was injured but still played 16 times last season . More than enough to assess I’d have thought. . And Duffy and Stephens and Bong all played in basket case Champ sides before we bought them - is that really a blocker ?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Is McNair actually any good?

And without wishing to sound too harsh (but with no delicate way of putting it) are any of your players worth having? From the outside looking in your club for the last few years has seemed rotten to the core with the players being a huge part of that. I'd be reluctant to sign any player that has been part of such a poisonous seeming dressing room, particularly one that has had back to back relegations. Is that fair? Have any players come out of the last few years with reputations enhanced or just plain old intact?

When we took Stephen Ward from Wolves they had just suffered back to back relegations and he wasn't being allowed to train with the first team as he was one of the players that the manager wanted out in order to re-build. Never seemed anything other than professional when he was with us and has continued to be the same at Burnley since we failed to snap him up quickly enough.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Not trying to be arsey here but have you actually seen him play? I think you are a South Coast Sunderland fan so possibly not?

I went to about 10-15 games last season (mad I know) and as others have said he will be a gamble as others said about our players however I am sure we didnt completely ruin every players skills that they had before they joined

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not trying to be arsey here but have you actually seen him play? I think you are a South Coast Sunderland fan so possibly not?

That was my first thought. Don't think he has been up to Sunderland for 5 years

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He was injured but still played 16 times last season . More than enough to assess I’d have thought. . And Duffy and Stephens and Bong all played in basket case Champ sides before we bought them - is that really a blocker ?

No not all, that’s not what I’m saying, I really hope we do sign him. But like a lot of signings it is of course a bit of a punt, especially as he was out most of last season and we’re looking at bringing him in as a midfielder which is quite a new position for him.

I was also meaning that any criticism of his performance could be defended by having to play in the atmosphere around the club at that time, it couldn’t have been easy for any player. I am being positive about him, I promise!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we want to sign him, this chap is going to have the most stringent of bhafc medicals isn't he ? ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Away on holiday but just reived a text from a mate saying Sky reporting a deal iminent at £7m cant believe that.Any body have a news update on this?
You are right, £7 million looks mad.

I think teams know that we are desperate for home grown players, and are trying to rip us off for them.

Moore - £15 million, McNair - £7 million, Button - £4 million.

All ridiculous.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are right, £7 million looks mad.

I think teams know that we are desperate for home grown players, and are trying to rip us off for them.
Yes, it does rather look lie that. All the more reason to concentrate on the academy, I suppose - but then again will the likes of Gyokeres, Bjordal and Connelly have been on our books long enough to qualify as HGPs at age 21? (Bjordal there already, I believe, so would have to be named in the squad).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, it does rather look lie that. All the more reason to concentrate on the academy, I suppose - but then again will the likes of Gyokeres, Bjordal and Connelly have been on our books long enough to qualify as HGPs at age 21? (Bjordal there already, I believe, so would have to be named in the squad).
Actually, Bjordal still qualifies as U21 by 5 weeks, so doesn't have to be named.

However if in practical terms he becomes part of the squad, we could name just 24 over 21s ( meaning 1 less HGP, .... maybe ).

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The Sun reporting this deal will be done in a couple days.
With regard to fee we know £7m included on the add-ins, clauses.
This is £5m with add ons of £2m.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
After playing for N.I. it's fair enough a player gets a week holiday before moving the length of the country and sorting his domestic situation pre-preseason.

Fingers crossed this one comes off. Fee seems good value for the player, we just want him even cheaper than that due to the League 1 element.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
BBC reporting that

"Wolves are preparing a bid for Sunderland's 23-year-old Northern Ireland international Paddy McNair, who can play in defence or midfield. (Northern Echo)".

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
seems like we have been preparing a bid for 10 days now...maybe we have simply moved on?

I’m not sure that we’d get involved in a bidding war. If Wolves are serious, they’ll get him because they’d be happy to over pay and we’d be happy to move on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here