Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
very bottom line from article on Back page of the Argus titled Jose eager to show Albion form in Russia.

It says " Albion remain interested in another defender, Liam Moore who Reading value at 15 million, as well as Northern Ireland Midfielder Paddy McNair although the Argus understands no new bids have been submitted in recent days"....

as I mentioned this contradicts the sunderland Echo and Chronicle who say second bid of 3.5 mill was made.

Thanks. Yep. real gap in fevered reporting of bids from one side and fervent denials on the other (perhaps agent led stuff here)
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...Albion_form_in_Russia_after_supersub_display/

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Several reports (local Sunderland press, Express, Sky) that we have had 2 bids rejected for £2m and £3.5m.
Latest reports in last 24 hours are - a further, third, bid ("up to £5m" - said Sunday Express) expected.
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/spor...ned-they-won-t-be-sold-on-the-cheap-1-9191237 are amongst several with the story.

Sunderland with transfer fees and wages have spent £5.6 million approx on McNair whereas our spending on Goldson is more like £2.3 million.

Whether McNair is worth that much may depend on his injury prognosis?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't find it so simple to dismiss the penalty against Everton, Stoke's second at the Amex, the cluster**** for Bournemouth's equaliser at home. At that point it seemed that Bruno had just gone defensively, he was being beaten for height and strength and maybe was tired near the end of games so was trying to use his dark arts to defend and came unstuck. Its not just pace, its stamina, toughness in a physical duel, jumping ability. Bruno wins on positional sense, footwork, composure - but that was being shown up as inadequate at that time. I have absolutely no doubt at all that CH brought Schelotto into the first team for purely defensive reasons.

By the end of the season I think the intensity of the premier league caught up with Schelotto and he needed a break, especially after Zaha toyed with him a bit (and perhaps that challenge by the Arsenal player shook him up more than we imagined) and Bruno came back - again I am sure for defensive reasons - but Schelotto has years on his side and time to get that experience and unless we've found an upgrade on both of them I will be surprised if he doesn't start next season as first choice right-back.

Everton was stupidity. But you’re very harsh blaming him for Stoke and Bournemouth equalisers, fairly certain our RB doesn’t pick up their CBs.

We do need an RB upgrade fairly desperately.

Edit - had already forgotten Balogun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You’d sell him wouldn’t you OTM? You really don’t rate him at all! I thought he did well overall. He is no Bruno but not many right backs in our price range are. Bruno’s ball control and eye for a pass along with his positional sense are exceptional. It’s just his age and inability to play every week that work against him. I think CH got a good balance between them last season.

The Greyhound is not as useless as your posts on him would suggest....imo.

Actually, he could be okay as a wide midfielder, oh and defensively, he really is.....
(Imo). [emoji2]

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Everton was stupidity. But you’re very harsh blaming him for Stoke and Bournemouth equalisers, fairly certain our RB doesn’t pick up their CBs.

We do need an RB upgrade fairly desperately.

Harsh but fair. He turned his back on the ball against Stoke and didn’t win the header cleanly against Bournemouth.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Need to watch it again then as that’s not my recollection.

One minute in:

certainly not the only one to blame in this one, but he misses the original header and it came 5 minutes or so after Schelotto had been subbed off

I love Bruno, one of my all time favourite players, but he had to have a rest at that point. I also really like Schelotto, and he was very good for decent period of time, but his poor end to the season is fresh in everyone's minds. But he can improve.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
One minute in:

certainly not the only one to blame in this one, but he misses the original header and it came 5 minutes or so after Schelotto had been subbed off

I love Bruno, one of my all time favourite players, but he had to have a rest at that point. I also really like Schelotto, and he was very good for decent period of time, but his poor end to the season is fresh in everyone's minds. But he can improve.

Stoke I agree, but I don’t accept Bournemouth at all.

As per my posts I like Schelotto offensively, but it is no coincidence that Duffy and Knockaert both look worse when he plays.
(IMO).

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said we need new blood.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Northern echo today..

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sp...___5m_offer_for_Sunderland_midfielder_McNair/
Brighton to return with £5m offer for Sunderland midfielder McNair
Scott Wilson scottwilsonecho
Chief Sports Writer
IN DEMAND: Brighton want to sign Paddy McNair from Sunderland
IN DEMAND: Brighton want to sign Paddy McNair from Sunderland

BRIGHTON will table an improved offer of around £5m for Sunderland midfielder Paddy McNair this week, but Wahbi Khazri is set to reject the opportunity to make a permanent move to Rennes.

Sunderland owner Stewart Donald has already turned down an initial Brighton bid of £3.5m for McNair, but the Seagulls remain determined to sign the 23-year-old, who is currently on international duty with Northern Ireland.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton has identified McNair as one of his leading midfield targets this summer, and has urged his board not to give up on their pursuit of the former Manchester United trainee.

An improved bid is imminent, with Brighton ready to offer £5m in an attempt to persuade Donald to sell. Some of that money will be dependent on a series of clauses being met, but Brighton are expected to offer more than £3.5m up front.

It remains to be seen whether that is sufficient to secure a deal, with Donald having forcefully insisted that he will not be allowing any of his players to leave for a cut-price fee despite Sunderland’s relegation to League One.

The Oxford-based owner has already turned down what was regarded as a derisory offer from Italian club Torino for Didier Ndong, and is clearly determined to drive a hard bargain as he looks to overhaul the squad he inherited from Ellis Short in conjunction with Sunderland’s new manager, Jack Ross.

Ross accepts that a number of senior players will have to leave this summer, and is yet to hold a discussion with McNair about his plans.

The midfielder suffered a series of injury problems last season, but scored three goals in his final five matches as Sunderland crashed out of the Championship. He will be understandably reluctant to play in League One when there is the chance of a return to the top-flight with Brighton.

Speaking last week, he said: “If I can get back to the Premier League, that would be great, but I just want to concentrate on these Northern Ireland games and look at that afterwards.”

Torino remain interested in Ndong, although Cardiff City have also been in contact with the Sunderland hierarchy to discuss a possible offer. Neil Warnock regards the Gabon international as an attractive option as he looks to strengthen his squad ahead of Cardiff’s return to the Premier League.

Khazri is another player who is all-but-certain to leave Sunderland this summer, although the Tunisian is set to turn down the option of a move to Rennes in the hope that bigger clubs will come in for his services later this summer.

Khazri spent last season on loan at Rennes, and while the Ligue 1 club are yet to agree a fee for a permanent deal with Sunderland, they have discussed a possible wage settlement with the winger. Rennes have the option of a £6m deal with the Black Cats, but are looking to secure a cheaper arrangement.

“The ball is in the hands of Wahbi,” said Rennes president Olivier Letang. “He has a proposal from the club which, for Rennes, is a very good offer.

“We compete with clubs that have a larger financial footprint, but we cannot play with the institution and we need to know quickly if the player wants to be part of this project.”

Khazri has not ruled out the possibility of signing for Rennes, but with Marseille, Lyon and Nice also having been credited with an interest in securing his services, he is keen to wait until after the World Cup before deciding on his future. Having been named in Tunisia’s 23-man squad for Russia, he will be hoping a series of strong World Cup performances earn him a move to one of Ligue 1’s leading clubs.

With John O’Shea close to agreeing a deal with Reading, Sunderland are set to lose all four of the players whose contracts are due to expire at the end of the month. Billy Jones, Marc Wilson and Kazenga LuaLua are set to follow O’Shea through the exit door.

As well as dealing with exits, Ross is also beginning to firm up his own transfer targets, with Hibernian duo John McGinn and Dylan McGeouch at the forefront of his thoughts.

McGeouch, a 25-year-old midfielder, is due to become a free agent this summer, and while Rangers, Aberdeen and QPR have also been linked with a possible move, Ross will be hoping his Scottish contacts enable him to land the former Celtic trainee.

Sunderland’s new manager is also interested in ex-Gateshead midfielder Marcus Maddison, who is set to leave Peterborough United after the League One club failed to win promotion last season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So the Albion let Northern journalists know what offer we are going to make before we make it now? I don't think so!!!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Stoke I agree, but I don’t accept Bournemouth at all.

As per my posts I like Schelotto offensively, but it is no coincidence that Duffy and Knockaert both look worse when he plays.
(IMO).

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said we need new blood.

It was clear from Bruno's return against Tottenham that the back four and Knockaert perform better when El Capitan plays. If only he were ten years younger - but then of course he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It was clear from Bruno's return against Tottenham that the back four and Knockaert perform better when El Capitan plays. If only he were ten years younger - but then of course he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

If he was 10 years younger, some on here would say he's getting on a bit.

that's how good Bruno is.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Exactly.

I’m sure he’s got better, since he’s been with us......

Valencia were mad....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well when he was three or four years younger he was playing for us, and initially at least, he didn't exactly set the Amex alight with his performances. Like a good bottle of Rioja from his homeland though, he has matured with age.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like all of the Journos they must get the info from somewhere.
No, they make it up.
This one is a respected chief sports writer for Northern echo so there must be something in it....
Just the same as some of the posters here, they think we'll probably make an improved offer, and they have to write something. And even if we don't make one, they never get proven wrong. Just think about it - only the top few people at our club ever know whether we'll go back and offer more. Why on earth would they let anyone else know that information? The player and his agent won't know what we'll offer until the offer is made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here