Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Or Duffy was a ROI international who'd just shone at Euro 2016, ex Premier League, who had just had an outstanding season in the Champ for Blackburn when he signed for Brighton for er, about £3.5m and went on to win promotion and become in the space of 12 months a Premier League ever present defender.

Yep. You really don't get near that sort of quality for that sort of price.Except when you do :)

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's been significant transfer fee inflation over the course of the intervening two years that you don't seem to be taking account of.

That aside, if Goldson was worth more, there would be other suitors knocking down our door to pick him up for a snip, and there's no indication that is happening.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's been significant transfer fee inflation over the course of the intervening two years that you don't seem to be taking account of.

That aside, if Goldson was worth more, there would be other suitors knocking down our door to pick him up for a snip, and there's no indication that is happening.

Of course, although the inflation is more pronounced at the top end rather than at this level. . And it illustrates what a bargain Duffy actually was, even though at time he was our record signing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Or Duffy was a ROI international who'd just shone at Euro 2016, ex Premier League, who had just had an outstanding season in the Champ for Blackburn when he signed for Brighton for er, about £3.5m and went on to win promotion and become in the space of 12 months a Premier League ever present defender.

Yep. You really don't get near that sort of quality for that sort of price.Except when you do :)

You've misquoted me. I didn't say it never happens. I said you don't "normally" get that quality for £3.5 million, especially when the player has been in a successful side at the top of the Championship / in the Prem.

Anyway, when we came calling for Duffy he had a year left on his contract and Blackburn were facing the prospect of relegation, so very different to the Albion's current position of stability and strength.

As for McNair I really rate him and because he can cover both CB and DM it would give us another bench spot for an attacking player.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You've misquoted me. I didn't say it never happens. I said you don't "normally" get that quality for £3.5 million, especially when the player has been in a successful side at the top of the Championship / in the Prem.

Anyway, when we came calling for Duffy he had a year left on his contract and Blackburn were facing the prospect of relegation, so very different to the Albion's current position of stability and strength.

As for McNair I really rate him and because he can cover both CB and DM it would give us another bench spot for an attacking player.

Agreed. And yes i agree with you. . Of course Duffy , the price we paid (good value even 2 years ago) , is an interesting parallel but doubt we'd get him for that this summer if we were still a Champ promotion hopeful.
And Goldson, however you look at it seems vfm at £3.5m although Albion insist the deal , if it goes through, is worth a lot more than that quoted figure.

PS: Blackburn had only played a couple of games in 2016/17 when we signed him so a bit of a stretch to say they were facing relegation even though of course Duffy had helped em along with his multiple own goals and sending offs.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Funny old game football not that along ago Sunderland raided us Bridcutt & Buckley, Bridcutt was certainly a big miss for us and we could of easily ended up back in league 1.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Agreed. And yes i agree with you. . Of course Duffy , the price we paid (good value even 2 years ago) , is an interesting parallel but doubt we'd get him for that this summer if we were still a Champ promotion hopeful.
And Goldson, however you look at it seems vfm at £3.5m although Albion insist the deal , if it goes through, is worth a lot more than that quoted figure.

PS: Blackburn had only played a couple of games in 2016/17 when we signed him so a bit of a stretch to say they were facing relegation even though of course Duffy had helped em along with his multiple own goals and sending offs.

The one good thing about Goldson going to Rangers is that he will get European football in due course, the Gerrard bandwagon means he'll get exposure and players that have done well in Scotland can be sold to the Prem for a decent wedge, so more chance of a decent sell-on fee than if - say - he went to a Championship club.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think Goldson's performance next season for Rangers will make CH regret the move, I think he is better than Duffy in reading the game and is more perceptive.
Then again, if Duffy learns to head the ball toward the ground instead of straight at the keeper or over the bar, he will score loads and then have a better scoring record than Goldson.
Swings and roundabouts.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Goldson's performance next season for Rangers will make CH regret the move, I think he is better than Duffy in reading the game and is more perceptive.
Then again, if Duffy learns to head the ball toward the ground instead of straight at the keeper or over the bar, he will score loads and then have a better scoring record than Goldson.
Swings and roundabouts.

You make it sound like CH wants rid

This is clearly a move driven by Connor because he wants football, we don’t need a situation where we keep players who want out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You make it sound like CH wants rid

This is clearly a move driven by Connor because he wants football, we don’t need a situation where we keep players who want out.

That’s how I see it. Goldson wants first team football, he is not willing to wait on the sidelines any longer and the club don’t want to keep an unsettled player.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is good enough to be a squad player, I imagine he wants more.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
That’s how I see it. Goldson wants first team football, he is not willing to wait on the sidelines any longer and the club don’t want to keep an unsettled player.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is good enough to be a squad player, I imagine he wants more.

I think the move to Ipswich falling through and then not being able to break into the squad has meant he wants to be playing regular football. We are therefore trying to get the best deal possible for the club.

As has been stated, I’m not sure how we are selling him cheap when it only seems to be Rangers who want to pay the fee. If his value was over £3.5m I’m sure a host of clubs would be queuing up to get a bargain.

theboybilly

The one good thing about Goldson going to Rangers is that he will get European football in due course, the Gerrard bandwagon means he'll get exposure and players that have done well in Scotland can be sold to the Prem for a decent wedge, so more chance of a decent sell-on fee than if - say - he went to a Championship club.

Personally I think we won't see Connor in the PL again as he will do well enough at Rangers to stay there into his 30s. I could see him then finishing his career in the Championship though. Good luck to him, this seems the ideal move for all parties

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Swings and roundabouts.

duffy is still the migrating salmon rather than the swooping seagull......hopefully jordan can sort him out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bollox to that, just use Walton

No, another season at Wigan will be the best thing for Walton. I do wonder what's happening about Maenpaa though - I think he is good enough to be our no.2 keeper; and given that the 3rd. choice keeper is actually pretty unlikely to be called upon to play, I don't see why we couldn't use Sanchez for that.
£4M does seem a lot for a reserve goalie - but hey, maybe that's the world we're living in now. Trust the recruitment team!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, another season at Wigan will be the best thing for Walton. I do wonder what's happening about Maenpaa though - I think he is good enough to be our no.2 keeper; and given that the 3rd. choice keeper is actually pretty unlikely to be called upon to play, I don't see why we couldn't use Sanchez for that.
£4M does seem a lot for a reserve goalie - but hey, maybe that's the world we're living in now. Trust the recruitment team!
Ben Roberts worked with Button every day in training at Charlton.

We need to trust his judgement that the fee is worth it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here