Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s a crap situation when a club is after one of your best players, it makes you realise how little these contracts mean. We’ve been in this situation a few times and it always leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s a crap situation when a club is after one of your best players, it makes you realise how little these contracts mean.
Yeah that's quite often the case, but not always. Stephens wanted out, but the contract meant he stayed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It’s a crap situation when a club is after one of your best players, it makes you realise how little these contracts mean. We’ve been in this situation a few times and it always leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Yes. But they mean an awful lot financially to both the player (pay rise) and to the buying club (more expensive to buy out).
Will Dunk get, for example, get his 4th or is it fifth new contract this summer (ie: a few more quid) to keep him happy and put off clubs sniffing about. ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I doubt he wants to play in League One, though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah that's quite often the case, but not always. Stephens wanted out, but the contract meant he stayed.

And got his head down once he was over the disappointment. No guarantee of this happening with a player who has dropped two divisions in two years. I’d say Sunderland have no chance of hanging on to him, just playing hardball. A rethink before the deadline if it doesn’t work though I expect.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That is a relatively rare exception. Contracts enable selling clubs to get more money and, in the meantime the player gets a higher wage. You'd rather your best players were on contracts than not!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Reading an interview the new owner is being very pragmatic about the situation.

They have some players on ridiculous wages who want to leave and simply think they will get their same wages elsewhere.

It's obviously more complicated than that as the club is debt free with an enormous budget for a league one club.

The players will go but at a realistic price. Not Premier League prices but the club are not going to be turned over.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reading an interview the new owner is being very pragmatic about the situation.

They have some players on ridiculous wages who want to leave and simply think they will get their same wages elsewhere.

It's obviously more complicated than that as the club is debt free with an enormous budget for a league one club.

The players will go but at a realistic price. Not Premier League prices but the club are not going to be turned over.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
Got to respect that really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here