Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or Duffy was a ROI international who'd just shone at Euro 2016, ex Premier League, who had just had an outstanding season in the Champ for Blackburn when he signed for Brighton for er, about £3.5m and went on to win promotion and become in the space of 12 months a Premier League ever present defender.

Yep. You really don't get near that sort of quality for that sort of price.Except when you do
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's been significant transfer fee inflation over the course of the intervening two years that you don't seem to be taking account of.

That aside, if Goldson was worth more, there would be other suitors knocking down our door to pick him up for a snip, and there's no indication that is happening.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's been significant transfer fee inflation over the course of the intervening two years that you don't seem to be taking account of.

That aside, if Goldson was worth more, there would be other suitors knocking down our door to pick him up for a snip, and there's no indication that is happening.
      Of course, although the inflation is more pronounced at the top end rather than at this level. . And it illustrates what a bargain Duffy actually was, even though at time he was our record signing.

0 Not allowed!
      Or Duffy was a ROI international who'd just shone at Euro 2016, ex Premier League, who had just had an outstanding season in the Champ for Blackburn when he signed for Brighton for er, about £3.5m and went on to win promotion and become in the space of 12 months a Premier League ever present defender.

Yep. You really don't get near that sort of quality for that sort of price.Except when you do
      You've misquoted me. I didn't say it never happens. I said you don't "normally" get that quality for £3.5 million, especially when the player has been in a successful side at the top of the Championship / in the Prem.

Anyway, when we came calling for Duffy he had a year left on his contract and Blackburn were facing the prospect of relegation, so very different to the Albion's current position of stability and strength.

As for McNair I really rate him and because he can cover both CB and DM it would give us another bench spot for an attacking player.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      You've misquoted me. I didn't say it never happens. I said you don't "normally" get that quality for £3.5 million, especially when the player has been in a successful side at the top of the Championship / in the Prem.

Anyway, when we came calling for Duffy he had a year left on his contract and Blackburn were facing the prospect of relegation, so very different to the Albion's current position of stability and strength.

As for McNair I really rate him and because he can cover both CB and DM it would give us another bench spot for an attacking player.
      Agreed. And yes i agree with you. . Of course Duffy , the price we paid (good value even 2 years ago) , is an interesting parallel but doubt we'd get him for that this summer if we were still a Champ promotion hopeful.
      And Goldson, however you look at it seems vfm at £3.5m although Albion insist the deal , if it goes through, is worth a lot more than that quoted figure.

PS: Blackburn had only played a couple of games in 2016/17 when we signed him so a bit of a stretch to say they were facing relegation even though of course Duffy had helped em along with his multiple own goals and sending offs.

1 Not allowed!
      Funny old game football not that along ago Sunderland raided us Bridcutt & Buckley, Bridcutt was certainly a big miss for us and we could of easily ended up back in league 1.
      You make me

0 Not allowed!
      Agreed. And yes i agree with you. . Of course Duffy , the price we paid (good value even 2 years ago) , is an interesting parallel but doubt we'd get him for that this summer if we were still a Champ promotion hopeful.
      And Goldson, however you look at it seems vfm at £3.5m although Albion insist the deal , if it goes through, is worth a lot more than that quoted figure.

PS: Blackburn had only played a couple of games in 2016/17 when we signed him so a bit of a stretch to say they were facing relegation even though of course Duffy had helped em along with his multiple own goals and sending offs.
      The one good thing about Goldson going to Rangers is that he will get European football in due course, the Gerrard bandwagon means he'll get exposure and players that have done well in Scotland can be sold to the Prem for a decent wedge, so more chance of a decent sell-on fee than if - say - he went to a Championship club.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

0 Not allowed!
      I think Goldson's performance next season for Rangers will make CH regret the move, I think he is better than Duffy in reading the game and is more perceptive.
      Then again, if Duffy learns to head the ball toward the ground instead of straight at the keeper or over the bar, he will score loads and then have a better scoring record than Goldson.
      Swings and roundabouts.
      Jimmy Melia's shoes.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by OzMike View Post
      I think Goldson's performance next season for Rangers will make CH regret the move, I think he is better than Duffy in reading the game and is more perceptive.
      Then again, if Duffy learns to head the ball toward the ground instead of straight at the keeper or over the bar, he will score loads and then have a better scoring record than Goldson.
      Swings and roundabouts.
      You make it sound like CH wants rid

This is clearly a move driven by Connor because he wants football, we don’t need a situation where we keep players who want out.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blockhseagull View Post
      You make it sound like CH wants rid

This is clearly a move driven by Connor because he wants football, we donít need a situation where we keep players who want out.
      Thatís how I see it. Goldson wants first team football, he is not willing to wait on the sidelines any longer and the club donít want to keep an unsettled player.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is good enough to be a squad player, I imagine he wants more.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      That’s how I see it. Goldson wants first team football, he is not willing to wait on the sidelines any longer and the club don’t want to keep an unsettled player.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is good enough to be a squad player, I imagine he wants more.
      I think the move to Ipswich falling through and then not being able to break into the squad has meant he wants to be playing regular football. We are therefore trying to get the best deal possible for the club.

As has been stated, I’m not sure how we are selling him cheap when it only seems to be Rangers who want to pay the fee. If his value was over £3.5m I’m sure a host of clubs would be queuing up to get a bargain.