Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League mulling over a whole round of fixtures to be played overseas in the future.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Here’s an idea...why don’t all the foreigners obssessed with English football **** off and support their own local teams? Just saying like!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The PL seem so determined with finding a new audience that they'd risk losing the one they've got. Tragic really.

Er, remember they don’t give a :shit:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's enough money in the game already and an overseas match would merely widen the gap between the Prem and the Championship.

I do believe that this is the factor that could - effectively - turn the Prem into a 23-club closed shop with 3 clubs yo-yoing between the divisions. It is only gross financial mismanagement that has meant certain clubs who have left the Prem are struggling to get back, and with the extra cash from the overseas games there will be less reason for Prem teams to be reckless.

I don't think too many people will be surprised to see Stoke, West Brom and Villa get promoted and with the reckless spending days receding I see fewer basket case clubs sinking without trace from the Prem.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe we should look into time travel to give new audiences of yesteryear a taster.

Mind you, Palace away is already played in the 19th century.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why not simply allow one of the PL franchises to relocate? Or upgrade a smaller side in a relocation and promotion move. What about MK Dons relocating to Singapore?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's enough money in the game already and an overseas match would merely widen the gap between the Prem and the Championship.

I do believe that this is the factor that could - effectively - turn the Prem into a 23-club closed shop with 3 clubs yo-yoing between the divisions. It is only gross financial mismanagement that has meant certain clubs who have left the Prem are struggling to get back, and with the extra cash from the overseas games there will be less reason for Prem teams to be reckless.

I don't think too many people will be surprised to see Stoke, West Brom and Villa get promoted and with the reckless spending days receding I see fewer basket case clubs sinking without trace from the Prem.

Financial mismanagement must be the norm, then:

Leeds (I'll grant you your point wrt these)
Massive
Sheffield United
Sunderland
Wolves
Villa
Fulham
Ipswich
Narwich
Bolton
Blackburn
Wigan
Derby
QPR

and probably others (this is just off the top of my head). None bounced back (immediately, or even at all, yet).

Meanwhile Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Brighton, Stoke (yes, them too), Swansea (and again possibly others) got their first taste of PL football wthout having bankrolled their promotion via parachute payments.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Fool! There is NEVER enough money in the game. Obviously you’re not a stinking rich narcassist with sociopathetic tendencies requiring the complete annihilation of any remaining ‘sporting chance’ that’s left in the opposing team? Until you are, keep your naive egalitarian ideas about competition and fairness to yourself. Real Madrid or Barca must win at all costs. Everything. All the time. Fifa and Uefa, as custodians of the game, have a responsibility to ensure this and must remain vigilant or risk the likes of Leicester spoiling the Champions League with their lower TV ratings. And that just won’t do in Asia, India, Africa and S.America who pay to see the La Ligas giants win everything. All the time. And by some margin. So whilst other teams have even a pound in their bank accounts, the sheer audacity of cobbling together a team, then the biggest clubs still have work to do. Remember, players aren’t in it for the money, but the chance to play week in week out at the highest level in the hope they’ll one day represent their country*

(*issuing passport office)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We have to remember that while American sport loves to "go global" it also has the draft system that levels the playing field to an extent. Finish bottom of the NFL and you get to draft the hottest player in college football and a chance to challenge once more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have to remember that while American sport loves to "go global" it also has the draft system that levels the playing field to an extent. Finish bottom of the NFL and you get to draft the hottest player in college football and a chance to challenge once more.

Unless you're Cleveland.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Yeah - it would be great if Brighton were to play a few games in the States, but as it is I can already watch every Brighton game live in NYC. More likely to be the big name clubs to satisfy their global army of plastic fans

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Which (on a general point) keeps a pretty good "churn" in terms of the successful franchises. But it can also lead to a "race to the bottom" for that first draft pick next season. If half the season is gone and you know you're nowhere in terms of making the playoffs / post season, then you can have a loooong stretch of dead rubbers (certainly in baseball where there's 162 games to slog through). With no relegation, there's no big incentive to finish as high as you can once post-season is out of reach. Its the one big flaw for me in the structure of their sports.

I'm sure the players are heavily bonus-incentived and want to perform, but it sometimes appears the clubs would rather finish rock bottom than 2nd/3rd last. After all, it makes no discernible difference, without the spectre of relegation lurking.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we've been here before. i remain unconvinced there is such economic advantage, as the foreign game would be included in the normal package structure. how could they sell it individually? the current pay strucutre is quite even distribution for all teams, TV apperances and position aside. would they vote for the upheaval and losing a home game revenue? would Arsenal really earn more playing "home" to Chelsea or Burnley in Singapore or wherever?

reckon its a stalking horse for some other idea. or just musings of excutives with nothing better to do than negotitate a deal every three years, smoodging VIPs the other two, so have nothing better to do.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
we've been here before. i remain unconvinced there is such economic advantage, as the foreign game would be included in the normal package structure. how could they sell it individually? the current pay strucutre is quite even distribution for all teams, TV apperances and position aside. would they vote for the upheaval and losing a home game revenue? would Arsenal really earn more playing "home" to Chelsea or Burnley in Singapore or wherever?

reckon its a stalking horse for some other idea. or just musings of excutives with nothing better to do than negotitate a deal every three years, smoodging VIPs the other two, so have nothing better to do.

I think they could easily command a massive premium for tickets, such is the desperation of Asian ‘supporters’ plus theres the city hosting rights akin to Olympic bids, in addition to strengthening the brand and driving customer loyalty. There are 5 billion suckers out there waiting to be sucked of their cash in eye watery amounts. It won’t just happen, it’s more a question of to what degree and whether England will remain the base for these future franchises; or they move overseas where more and more money can be made. Who needs crowds really when CGI can take care of that side of things, and wouldn’t it be much better and more lucrative if games can be televised at a time convenient to billions rather than millions?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Other than a game involving the top 6, there's pretty much zero demand for a Premier League fixture such as Brighton v Burnley out here.

I'd go along with a couple of Brighton and Burnley supporting mates, but you wouldn't get a crowd of 3,000, let alone 30,000.

Real Madrid normally play an annual game out here and there's been the World Club trophy up the road in Abu Dhabi, but not much else.

Any games would have to be in Winter as it's forecast to be 100 degrees F later today. And we haven't even reached the hot months yet.

Of course, there's no chance of any major football tournament ever being scheduled to happen in this part of the world then...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think they could easily command a massive premium for tickets, such is the desperation of Asian ‘supporters’ plus theres the city hosting rights akin to Olympic bids, in addition to strengthening the brand and driving customer loyalty.

agree with the demand, my point is who would benefit. the local stadiums would want a large portion, then the Premier League take a slice to be shared out. the clubs would lose a home game revenue. would they really see a net gain, and one worth the impact to home supporters? as put by others, gain an audience while losing existing one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
agree with the demand, my point is who would benefit. the local stadiums would want a large portion, then the Premier League take a slice to be shared out. the clubs would lose a home game revenue. would they really see a net gain, and one worth the impact to home supporters? as put by others, gain an audience while losing existing one.
But what if the existing audience has been milked dry?

How many actual home fans shop in the Utd 'megastore'?
(For that matter how many of us actually buy from the club shop?)

How does that compare to the spending of Utd's tourists, at the same game?

All they are proposing is moving the game to tens of thousands of tourists, instead of cashing in on the couple of thousand that make it over here.

I can't see how the big clubs would lose out, if alienating the home fans was an issue for the clubs the fixture dates would look very different.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I’d be surprised if English fans rights won the day, we make up a tiny fraction of the wealth generated and foreign owners simply don’t care in the main as per numerous examples of changes to football to maximise revenue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here