Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League mulling over a whole round of fixtures to be played overseas in the future.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just reading a piece on the last of the Premier League TV rights auction for the period starting in 2019 and this was a foot piece.

Not that we as fans would have any say in the matter, but would you be ok to potentially lose a 'live match' to an overseas audience if this idea gains traction?

Brighton v Palace in Mumbai? :D

It seems a few years away, so we may or may not be involved at the time!

In 2008 Scudamore proposed the so-called "39th game" whereby competitive top-flight matches would be played outside England.

He then went on to say that there were too many obstacles in the way of the idea.

However, the NFL has begun to play matches at Wembley and has a 10-year deal with Tottenham to stage two games a season at their ground.

Major League Baseball's New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox will also play each other in two regular season games at the London Stadium in 2019.

"We've not changed our position," said Scudamore. "We thought it was a good idea at the time. Maybe not a 39th game - I think it evolved more to playing a round of fixtures abroad.

"The clubs continue to think, in principle, it is a good idea but we've also said that until the conditions are right - and until we can create the conditions where fans are, if not happy, then understand the parameters - then we are not going to be able to do it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44271156

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How does playing one round of fixtures overseas stand with the integrity of the competition, given that half the teams will lose a home fixture which statistically they are likely to gain more points from than playing away.

Given the closeness of the relegation battle, it could be the difference between staying up or going down, depending on whether you played 19 or 18 home games.

And all those before we get onto the issues for the fans, but I see from the report, we effectively don't count

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
They've been talking about it for the last 15+ years haven't they?
I don't think it is something that 16 clubs will agree with (which is the protocol for passing anything in the Premier League isn't it?) and is therefore unlikely to happen at any point in the foreseeable future.

I would presume that it is a potential sweetener for an Amazon/Facebook/Netflix as it is a way of saying you're investing in creating a bigger fanbase in the global market. This will drive the price up as a big Premier League game played abroad broadcast live exclusively could command ad prices similar to the World Cup Final, and close to the Superbowl.

Scudamore is trying to get the big names to sign up with big money. If he can drive up the price of a multinational streamer, they are essentially buying the first place in line for the opportunity to be the frontrunners if there is a push for a more globalized English (or European) league.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Burnley away in Siberia would be fine by me. Preferably on a Tuesday.

Burnley will be playing enough European games next season without another one!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The greedy buggers are just looking at the windfall american sports have managed to get from taking games overseas, and want a piece of that. Any income stream they think they are missing out on will have them leaning over the side of the Gravy Train and risk falling off just to try and reach it.

The NFL has worked by selling the idea to individual teams to put themselves forward for a home game being played in London. the teams that have done so are (in the main) teams that struggle to sell out home games. Plus, the League added it as a conditional of franchise relocations. You want to move the franchise to LA and get the benefits of that, well in return you play some International Series games. None of that applies to the Premier League.

The NBA (and soon to be MLB) play so many games in a season that chucking one or two overseas isn't really going to make any difference when it's one game out of 100+.

But their noses are in the trough and they won't give up on it just yet, whether it's their previous suggestion of a 39th game, or this suggestion of a whole week of games is moved abroad.

D

Deleted member 18477

Why is that even being considered? NFL games in London is to have a franchise in London eventually...

Are we planning on having a foreign team join our league? We won't even let Celtic in... :shrug:

I read that NFL lose money when games are held overseas, assume this is lost revenue from commercials/advertisements

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Surely they'd have to make it two rounds, to negate any home/away advantage?

I wouldn't mind if they engineered it so there were a load of nothing games like a midseason meet between us and Watford that nobody would be particularly upset about missing. But somehow I doubt that would be the case.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How does playing one round of fixtures overseas stand with the integrity of the competition, given that half the teams will lose a home fixture which statistically they are likely to gain more points from than playing away.

Given the closeness of the relegation battle, it could be the difference between staying up or going down, depending on whether you played 19 or 18 home games.

And all those before we get onto the issues for the fans, but I see from the report, we effectively don't count

Exactly - a 39th game would completely destroy the integrity of the competition. Somebody would end up having 3 games against Man City that season, whilst someone else would get 3 games against Watford.

I guess the likelihood would be that they'd have as many top 6-8 clashes or derbies as possible, like one of their "Super Sundays" on steroids. But then how many people would be falling over themselves to watch watch Cardiff v Bournemouth live from Miami ?

The whole idea reeks.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They've been talking about it for the last 15+ years haven't they?
I don't think it is something that 16 clubs will agree with (which is the protocol for passing anything in the Premier League isn't it?) and is therefore unlikely to happen at any point in the foreseeable future.

I would presume that it is a potential sweetener for an Amazon/Facebook/Netflix as it is a way of saying you're investing in creating a bigger fanbase in the global market. This will drive the price up as a big Premier League game played abroad broadcast live exclusively could command ad prices similar to the World Cup Final, and close to the Superbowl.

Scudamore is trying to get the big names to sign up with big money. If he can drive up the price of a multinational streamer, they are essentially buying the first place in line for the opportunity to be the frontrunners if there is a push for a more globalized English (or European) league.

14 votes needed for a proposal to be passed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Load of feckin bollox, English Premier League football hands off, can't work for a league game surely otherwise both teams are at a disadvantage. Please leave the league alone or just take the top six and feck off and make a European League and be gone with you, over time they will be calling for a world league when they exhaust all the revenue from Europe.

Money, Money, Money.....

I miss Saturday football, and the odd midweek game.....

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The greedy buggers are just looking at the windfall american sports have managed to get from taking games overseas, and want a piece of that. Any income stream they think they are missing out on will have them leaning over the side of the Gravy Train and risk falling off just to try and reach it.

The NFL has worked by selling the idea to individual teams to put themselves forward for a home game being played in London. the teams that have done so are (in the main) teams that struggle to sell out home games. Plus, the League added it as a conditional of franchise relocations. You want to move the franchise to LA and get the benefits of that, well in return you play some International Series games. None of that applies to the Premier League.

The NBA (and soon to be MLB) play so many games in a season that chucking one or two overseas isn't really going to make any difference when it's one game out of 100+.

But their noses are in the trough and they won't give up on it just yet, whether it's their previous suggestion of a 39th game, or this suggestion of a whole week of games is moved abroad.

Was just about to post something similar. It might work well for all the hype and carnival atmosphere that the NFL draws in, but it would just alienate a lot of football supporters here at home.

But then, as you say, money talks...so if this will generate ££££ for the EFL / FA, then turning it down will hardly be an option. Very sad that the game so many of us loved has sold its soul to faceless multinational entities, with no interest in anything but making a quick buck.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Yet another ludicrous idea. How much money do these greedy ******** want? All about money, same as UEFA allegedly proposing playing Champions League final in America, ridiculous ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely they'd have to make it two rounds, to negate any home/away advantage?

I wouldn't mind if they engineered it so there were a load of nothing games like a midseason meet between us and Watford that nobody would be particularly upset about missing. But somehow I doubt that would be the case.

I would - you can count me out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here