Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling has an AK 47 tattoo on his thigh. Should he play for England?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you seen how many goals he scores? Goals that others don't score. Goals that win games.

Not to mention his corner taking prowess. :facepalm:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Is the world cup a FOOTBALL competition?

The way some people react would make you think it's a combined intelligence test and good behaviour competition, perhaps with a tasteful tattoo penalty shootout in case of a draw.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
together with many players not really caring that much

Again, I'm not sure about this one. Can't find it on youtube but there's a clip of Kane's face after that horrendous free kick against Iceland. He looks utterly terrified. That is not the face of someone who doesn't care - I really do think it's fear.

I'm sure the rest of the squad would love to come back having got to a Semi Final or better - but the pressure from the press, and the history of mucking up at tournaments seems to weigh very heavily.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I wonder if, given their genuine and heartfelt objection to violence of any kind, the Sun won't be making pathetic allusions to past wars should we draw Argentina or Germany.

What an absolute waste of everyone's time this 'story' is.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He was one of many. The millions who are "happy" with theirs now won't be when they go out of fashion and/or their skin goes wrinkly.

Old person alert! I've got a very visible tattoo on my arm, might it look naff when I'm 90? Yeh! But so will everybody else's who has a tattoo which is probably the majority of people in my age group, so no one is going to care. Try living a little goldstone.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's where I am getting confused, again I apologise if I'm just being stooopid.

You seem to be claiming both sides agree with you.

Either he's shite, or he isn't?

Goldstone feels he is shite.
Whitechapel and myself say he isn't shite.

You seem to be saying both and that 'your point stands'. :shrug:

My initial quote was “And internationally”.

This is because he is good in the league, but (so far) shite internationally.

It is way too simplistic to say he’s shite per se......

As per my previous posts there are lots of players who could perform for their clubs but not for their countries.

I am surprised you are struggling (sorry), differentiating between the fact they are two different levels, that should be considered separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am surprised you are struggling (sorry), differentiating between the fact they are two different levels, that should be considered separate.

They are indeed different levels. The Champions League and top end of Prem are of a higher standard than International Football.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They are indeed different levels. The Champions League and top end of Prem are of a higher standard than International Football.

Debatable

Brazil / Germany / Spain / Argentina vs R Madrid / Barca / City / Juve?

Scotland vs Barca perhaps.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not to mention the quality of the teammates.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Have you seen how many goals he scores? Goals that others don't score. Goals that win games.

Yeah I kind of know that, it's difficult to highlight the advantageous of one type of player above another without contradiction, I just feel that an inform Kane is helpful maybe absolutely critical but we have always had a top striker with limited international success so I doubt whether Kane is going to show anything that we havent seen previously but we rarely have had a little technician a kind of Courthino that can beat players too, something perhaps more suited to a South American/European football environment, perhaps the last one was Beardsley, but in terms of Sterling if he can hit some genuine form it will be a big help and a great advantage, I guess the key is will he do it, I think he has the potential and I think his importance is continually overlooked.

I just think it is easier to find a 'steady rhythm' for a Henderson or a Dier kind of player and even to find form as a kind of 'post up' striker like Kane offers, but to have a player that can consistently beat players and create openings when your international opponents are 'set up' usually brilliantly is key for any team aspiring to win it, but a lot harder to achieve it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Debatable

Brazil / Germany / Spain / Argentina vs R Madrid / Barca / City / Juve?

Scotland vs Barca perhaps.....

My point being City/Madrid etc play together all the time. They would have far greater chemistry.

Fairest is to compare Champions League to World Cup. You'd never get sides anywhere near as poor as Panama in the CL.

Obviously at the top end it's much of a muchness as it's the same players, with club football having the edge due to familiarity of systems/tactics and consistency of selection. Also club sides are better balanced, as they are not hamstrung but not having good enough players in a certain position - they can simply buy one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
we rarely have had a little technician a kind of Courthino that can beat players too, something perhaps more suited to a South American/European football environment.

I think we've had them, plenty of them - Gazza, Hoddle, a young Rooney, etc. But we as a nation seem to distrust/have very little patience with such types of player, sadly. We don't seem comfortable with flair. Shame.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think we've had them, plenty of them - Gazza, Hoddle, a young Rooney, etc. But we as a nation seem to distrust/have very little patience with such types of player, sadly. We don't seem comfortable with flair. Shame.

Of course, I was sitting here trying to recall our own generation of 'magicians' and somehow I couldn't recall Gazza or Rooney but could Beardsley :dunce:

I agree with your analysis how generally those players are viewed, usually with suspicion however looking at the latest successes by our younger international teams maybe this has eventually been addressed.

I think my point is I can see our team being competent and organised, but for any real success you need those rare 'wild card' players to hit form which is more difficult for a 'Sterling like player' than a Henderson type, oh and luck we need lots of luck.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think my point is I can see our team being competent and organised, but for any real success you need those rare 'wild card' players to hit form which is more difficult for a 'Sterling like player' than a Henderson type, oh and luck we need lots of luck.

Totally agreed. Sterling has been frustrating for England. If he or Lingard have a good tournament that could make a big difference.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Wouldn’t say we’ve had plenty of! Think bigger issue is reliance on 1 where others have several. Be nice if we had a few ‘world class’ players in different parts of the team. But we don’t and rarely do

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having looked at the full story, I see why it has significance to him. It is only unwise from the perspective that there are a bunch of ignorant wankers waiting to make capital when writing about it.

Raheem Sterling- A little unwise but undertstandable
The Sun- Utter twunts as usual.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think our players have the mentality to succeed at international competition.

You have to care passionately about the England team and playing for England, as opposed to just doing well for your own personal gain. In 1990 the England team was full of players who would bleed red, white and blue if you cut them - Butcher, Pearce, Lineker, Shilton.

You have to have world class players throughout the team who can deliver performances consistently whilst doing the basics like keeping the ball.

Sterling is a talented lad but, for me, he typifies the type of player we have produced in recent years that is doomed to fail in international football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Sun ought to be more upset about about Sterling having a 'shooting' leg.

Surely 'player paid millions can't kick with left foot' would be a better headline. :jester:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here