Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling has an AK 47 tattoo on his thigh. Should he play for England?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
A story about an unfinished tattoo designed for the easily offended. Worthless drivel designed to upset the apple cart. Any support they spout about the World Cup is null and void from here on in.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have to say, I do find his explanation difficult to believe. Having a machine gun tattooed on ones leg isn’t the obvious reaction to a family bereavement. I guess grief affects us in different ways though?

Yes, I agree. Grief can do strange things to a person but if my dad had been shot with a gun, a gun is the last thing I'd want tatooed as a reminder.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not the media, it's The Sun who ran it

Other coverage is now focusing on his response and, from what I've seen, is broadly sympathetic to him (although I haven't seen the Mail's yet)

But in a World Cup year, just as with an election, The Sun ARE the mass media, like it or not. Their natural populism leads them to alternately lead and follow the opinion of their brain dead readership. Thus the only time they have backed Labour was when it was obvious Blair was going to trounce the Tories. Thus they backed our teams in 1990 and 1996. But they've no doubt got people taking the pulse of their average readership through social media et al, and they've no doubt formed an opinion through their sports writers that we won't do that well, so they're already setting up their scapegoats. It's a most depressing vicious circle and I would even cynically say that their dream scenario involves Sterling or one of the other more "street" players screwing up while brave Harry Kane played fearlessly for the cross of St George only to have these gun tattooed clubbers let him down.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have to say, I do find his explanation difficult to believe. Having a machine gun tattooed on ones leg isn’t the obvious reaction to a family bereavement. I guess grief affects us in different ways though?

He said it wasn't finished so perhaps he is going to have a big red X tattooed across the gun.

Too literal?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Presumably those calling for Sterling to not play for England because of his tattoo also believe that no Arsenal players should play for the country either as they are nicknamed 'The Gunners' (as opposed to Jack Wilshere not being in the squad for being a bit bobbins)?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why the fck have the media decided NOW is a good time to run this story? He's been outstanding all season and very much in the public eye.

Oh yeah, England are at the WC and there's nothing else to write.

FFS

You know exactly why. Good news is this suggests they are really scraping the barrel this year in terms of shit slinging at the squad.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I miss the good old days when top footballers were regularly caught drink driving.

keep-calm-and-don-t-buy-the-sun.jpg

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
180px-Sterling_SMG2.JPG Should be one of these, Shirley.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But in a World Cup year, just as with an election, The Sun ARE the mass media, like it or not.

I think you're a bit out of date here. People don't read newspapers in the same way that they used to, according to an Ofcom survey, only 29% of the population get their news from newspapers ... and The Sun is just one part of that, It's not even the most widely-read newspaper in the UK any more, it got overtaken by the Mail a couple of years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thought he`d want to keep as far away as possible from guns..Not look at his leg every day and think "one of them killed my Dad"

Apparently a single rifle pointing downwards is a symbol of peace. I can't verify that, but have seen it mentioned a couple of times elsewhere.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Giving the bloke the benefit of the doubt here - he says the tattoo isn't finished yet so there could well be an addition of a big red "STOP" sign tattooed over the gun to come

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here