Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Day trip to Cambridge

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm going to use the new Thameslink train to Cambridge during half term (assuming it runs) for a day trip with my 12yo daughter.
Any recommendations on places to visit - which colleges, pub for lunch etc? Ta.

Jul 7, 2003
Recommendation is to check if the train is actually running as I believe there were cancellations of these services when the new timetable came in.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Anchor and The Mill, both by the Mill Pond, are really good places to eat. Lovely food, picturesque scenery, though The Anchor's menu may not be ideal for a 12 year old - check it out online. The Granta is also good - excellent pub grub overlooking the river.

Visit Clare College (it's lovely, my dad was a Don there), Kings College and its Chapel, which is next door to Clare. Trinity College is also worth a visit.

Walk along 'The Backs', or get a punt if you're feeling adventurous.

Lovely city, I grew up there. Hope you enjoy it.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Cambridge is a lovely city, bit of a trek into town but one of those places you can go without a plan as there's so much to see, think cafes, museums gallery's etc all with a lovely historical backdrop. However my trains to London are on the same line and face regular cancellations at the moment so have an alternate plan as it's very likely you won't get there in a time that's feasible for a day trip

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
You can rent a bike and kids bikes and easily cycle to Grantchester to the cafe, lovely trip and setting. You can also rent a punt and do it but slightly harder work (but wonfderful as well).

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Great day out. Fitzwilliam Museum walk down road to Corpus Clock, down towards river near the Mathematical Bridge, there is a lock area and pubs. Also can walk alongside canal.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great day out. Fitzwilliam Museum walk down road to Corpus Clock, down towards river near the Mathematical Bridge, there is a lock area and pubs. Also can walk alongside canal.

It's not a canal, it's the River Cam.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There was supposed to be one running at 801 from East Croydon on the original timetable but this seems to no longer exist.

All still a shambles. Late for work again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Punt down to Grantchester meadows, have cream tea in the garden there.

Colleges: King’s, Trinity, St John’s.

Walk along the backs.

Regent St (the route from the station to the city centre) has the decent chain restaurants, a lot of Chinese restaurants, and a not bad Korean place (near the Catholic Church at the start of regent street). Chelsea bun from Fitzbillies.

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
Take a couple of cushions. Trust me the seats on the new Thameslink trains are torture on any journey over half an hour!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The Anchor and The Mill, both by the Mill Pond, are really good places to eat. Lovely food, picturesque scenery, though The Anchor's menu may not be ideal for a 12 year old - check it out online. The Granta is also good - excellent pub grub overlooking the river.

Visit Clare College (it's lovely, my dad was a Don there), Kings College and its Chapel, which is next door to Clare. Trinity College is also worth a visit.

Walk along 'The Backs', or get a punt if you're feeling adventurous.

Lovely city, I grew up there. Hope you enjoy it.

These are all very good suggestions. I grew up there too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here