Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Blackburn, Wigan and Rotherham.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Relegated from the Championship last season....all promoted back up at the first attempt. Doesn't happen that often ( does it? ) Blackburn were clearly a bit unlucky to go down with 51 pts and Mowbray was already starting to turn them round. Wigan also looked far too good for Div 1.
Is the gap widening between the Championship and lower leagues.?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Pleased for Blackburn but not so much for the other 2. Both will be battling relegation as they seem to do whenever they reach that level (Wigan's PL spell aside). Shrewsbury in the Championship would have been great.

Yes. Feel a bit sorry for Shrewsbury. So many Wembley heartbreaks.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I thought that this thread was going to be about three of the most sh*thouse places in England?

Oh, and the Tykes edge it, just.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Will Wigan pay £1,000,000 + for Walton

As a loan fee I’d hope, there is no way we’d be letting him go for that on a permanent deal. One more season out on loan and he’ll be back to challenge Ryan for the number one spot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a loan fee I’d hope, there is no way we’d be letting him go for that on a permanent deal. One more season out on loan and he’ll be back to challenge Ryan for the number one spot.
Why would Walton go to Liverpool, as well?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought that this thread was going to be about three of the most sh*thouse places in England?

Oh, and the Tykes edge it, just.

Same here. I was just about to post “they’re all shit holes, what do I win?”

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tykes generic for Yorkshire I thought? Barnsley is a sh*thole as well.
You are correct of course. Consequently I've always thought Barnsley had one of the crappiest nicknames in football, a bit like referring to the Albion as "the southerners".

In fairness, at least Barnsley are Tykes. I'm not quite sure how Palace justify their nickname. What has an Eagle got in common with that crap outfit? Does an eagle's nest empty when the going gets tough? :shrug:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You are correct of course. Consequently I've always thought Barnsley had one of the crappiest nicknames in football, a bit like referring to the Albion as "the southerners".

In fairness, at least Barnsley are Tykes. I'm not quite sure how Palace justify their nickname. What has an Eagle got in common with that crap outfit? Does an eagle's nest empty when the going gets tough? :shrug:

It goes back to the Great Exhibition in 1851 ( at Crystal Palace ) when a pair of Golden Eagles where on display. Legend has it that the eagles escaped and lived wild in the locality for a period of time ( more rural then ). Hence the nickname developed from there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It goes back to the Great Exhibition in 1851 ( at Crystal Palace ) when a pair of Golden Eagles where on display. Legend has it that the eagles escaped and lived wild in the locality for a period of time ( more rural then ). Hence the nickname developed from there.

It took one heck of a long time for them to adopt that nickname then, they were known as the Glaziers until comparitively recently.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Were Rotherham in the Championship last season? God I'm getting old and forgetful.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Relegated from the Championship last season....all promoted back up at the first attempt. Doesn't happen that often ( does it? ) Blackburn were clearly a bit unlucky to go down with 51 pts and Mowbray was already starting to turn them round. Wigan also looked far too good for Div 1.
Is the gap widening between the Championship and lower leagues.?

The difference in TV money is £6.5 million average in the Championship (for non parachute payment teams, parachute recipients on between £15-41 million) compared to £630,000 in League One.

Average weekly wage in Championship £14,339 compared to £2,714 in League One

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here