Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Anyone watching that jeremy Thorpe drama

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent Drama and one of those where the truth is stranger than fiction. I'd forgotten so much about the case, but do remember the judges summing up which Peter Cook did superbly.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I absolutely love this drama.

The whole bizarre episode is just amazing. Hugh Grant is clearly loving camping this up to the max. What a great job he's doing.

I read the BBC background piece last night..it all happened...all of it.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Yes it is really good TV. Did anyone spot Michel Dotrice (Frank Spencers wife from some mothers do have em } as the landlady. It is quite a story. Thorpes son must find this upsetting.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes it is really good TV. Did anyone spot Michel Dotrice (Frank Spencers wife from some mothers do have em } as the landlady. It is quite a story. Thorpes son must find this upsetting.

I doubt it, after spending many years invading other people's privacy as a paparazzi photographer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hugh Grant has matured in to a fine actor.

This is a sentence I would never have agreed with 20 years ago. ..... but do now.. An amazing acting performance, very impressed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Norman Scott is still living. The police finally closed the case in 2015, thinking Newton had died, but it appears he's still alive too.

Claims that police altered the evidence of another person being hired to kill Mr Scott before Newton, a small-time air pilot, were unearthed by BBC Panorama journalist Tom Mangold in 2014, the year Mr Thorpe died.

Dennis Meighan said he was approached by associates of Mr Thorpe, and Newton, to carry out the murder.

This led to Gwent Police reopening the investigation, but after they concluded Newton was dead, the Crown Prosecution Service told Mr Scott no further action would be taken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44336859

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But I mean the comical way that the murder is portrayed - almost light-heartedly

It does seem to come close to lapsing into farce on occasions (especially the hit man episode), enjoying it though and agree with the comment about Hugh Grant

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I read the book it is based on last year, a great read.

The book was written like a novel so I suspect a few things have tweaked from the truth to make the story flow.

The only problem I have with the series is where they try and make Thorpe a bit more of a sympathetic character.

He was obviously a complete #### of the highest order.

Nothing I've read really explains who exactly had the National Insurance card and why Scott wasn't simply issued a new one.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Have always found Hugh Grant irritating as an actor.

However, I now hold my hands up and say he has impressed me enormously in this role.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The BBC Four doc by Tom Mangold (that was stopped from being broadcast in 1979 after the acquittal of Thorpe) is on at 10pm tonight.
If you want a sneak preview then some clips and Mangold's research were first shared in this Radio 4 doc in 2014. (listen to it on the iPlayer Radio app. i think it doesn't work via the website oddly)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wz633

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Weakest episode unfortunately. Why did they leave Newton (the bloke who fired the gun) out of the trial ?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Excellent mini series, thoroughly enjoyed all three episodes but has left me wondering what % was true and what % was embellished for effect.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Weakest episode unfortunately. Why did they leave Newton (the bloke who fired the gun) out of the trial ?

He had already been tried, found guilty, been to prison and then sold his story to the press, which resulted in the Thorpe trial. I think that's correct anyway :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here