Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richie Towell looks happy

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Having just seen the Richie Towell interview by Sky Sports at the end of the Play Off Final, l have to say that he seems very happy with life at his adopted club. No mention of the Albion at all, (and why should there be l suppose), I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see him sign permanently for the South Yorkshire club over the summer.

It's pretty clear that he doen't really have a future here, and l think that the Championship could well prove to be his level. Good luck to him l say.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Having just seen the Richie Towell interview by Sky Sports at the end of the Play Off Final, l have to say that he seems very happy with life at his adopted club. No mention of the Albion at all, (and why should there be l suppose), I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see him sign permanently for the South Yorkshire club over the summer.

It's pretty clear that he doen't really have a future here, and l think that the Championship could well prove to be his level. Good luck to him l say.
Here, here. What's he worth a Mill?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Talking about moods, when I was travelling back from work this afternoon, I saw a load of Shrewsbury Town fans funnelling out of the local tube station, all looking very glum, thems th breaks I suppose :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Apart from Towell going, what is Norwood worth to Fulham?

That goal saving tackle was worth around 100 million to Fulham , but sentiment means not much these days and i expect he will be looking for yet another club to help into the Premiere League next season .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think most of us had high hopes of Towell when he arrived - a goal scoring attacking midfielder, what more could The Albion want! - but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to have fitted in to CH's plans. Guess a move to Rotherham and regular football would be a good chance for him to establish himself at championship level, so good luck to him if that's the way the cookie crumbles. I don't think we paid much for him, did we? I wouldn't expect to get a great big fee now.

As for Norwood, as others have said, I can't see Fulham bidding for him now they're in the PL. Time for him to find a new home now, I think.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
IMG_20180527_202018.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I wouldn't write Richie Towell off yet. We gave him a new contract last year, and this was only in February:

“I’m still in contact with [the people at] Brighton, so that’s the plan for now — do as well as I can at Rotherham. I only spoke to the gaffer, Chris Hughton, a couple of weeks ago, he was saying how happy he is with how I’m playing and reminded me he’s sending people to watch me play all the time.”

http://www.the42.ie/richie-towell-interview-3826526-Feb2018/

Dale Stephes is two years older and has just had his first successful season in the Premier League, probably at just the right time for him. I see this more as a game of patience on both sides, he has to gain experience in English football, from League 1 to the Championship, but there is every chance that by the time he's the age DS is now that he will be ready to play a part at the top level. It looks like the club believe this, the risk is that if you bring someone in then loan them out for season after season they can start to feel forgotton or rejected, but if we can manage the situation well, make sure he knows we believe he has a future here, we could have a quality player when the time is right.

This is something we aren't used to seeing the Albion do, but it's the long game and it's not unheard of for the larger clubs to do this with players who are developing and need experience, even over long periods of time. Nobody knows the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if after a good season (even two) in the Championship Richie comes back down ready to play his part for us, right when he is hitting his prime. If Chris says he is happy with how he is doing and we are watching him, and we still want him contracted here, I think it could be the right approach, it will just require patience from him and from us.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think most of us had high hopes of Towell when he arrived - a goal scoring attacking midfielder, what more could The Albion want! - but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to have fitted in to CH's plans.

I think the main issue was he wasnt able to dislodge Kayal & Stephens and Norwood & Sidwell had greater experience of the league - i think had we not gone up last year we would have seen more of him.
Question is, would he be able to play more as a #10 and be an understudy to Gross? Can't see him taking one of the midfield spots from Davy/Dale/BK/anyone else we sign.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the main issue was he wasnt able to dislodge Kayal & Stephens and Norwood & Sidwell had greater experience of the league - i think had we not gone up last year we would have seen more of him.
Question is, would he be able to play more as a #10 and be an understudy to Gross? Can't see him taking one of the midfield spots from Davy/Dale/BK/anyone else we sign.

Pretty much this really. In many ways Richie was unlucky to join the Albion when he did, with the club having a settled side, playing well, and on the verge of promotion to the Premier League. At any other time he may of had more of a chance to showcase himself, and make a break through into the team.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Just speaking to a couple of RUFC fans at the services on the M1. They love Towell & would love him to stay at Rotherham permanently, but doubt they can afford his wages....said its £15k pw??

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Neither Norwood or Towell are Premier League players if we're serious about wanting to compete. I think both will be on the market for new clubs, either permanently or on loan if we're paying them more than another club are prepared to. If we keep them, they'll be hoping we get relegated so they get a chance in the team. I think the irony with being a lower end Premier League team is that the weaker players are inevitably needing the club to struggle in order to know their future can be at this club.

Or is that a bit too cynical?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Pleased for them both. Exactly what you want from a loan, success for our players. If they end up staying and it works for all parties then all good.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Just glad he never threw himself in.

What do you mean Richie is not a Premier League player. He played for the Portland Timbers, he was given the ceremoniess "cut of timber." The bloke has huge wood.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Neither Norwood or Towell are Premier League players if we're serious about wanting to compete. I think both will be on the market for new clubs, either permanently or on loan if we're paying them more than another club are prepared to. If we keep them, they'll be hoping we get relegated so they get a chance in the team. I think the irony with being a lower end Premier League team is that the weaker players are inevitably needing the club to struggle in order to know their future can be at this club.

Or is that a bit too cynical?

Pretty cynical ! TBH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here