Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has there ever been a worse keeper display than that

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's impossible not to feel for him. They were two absolute howlers, the sort that if they happened over the course of a season the keeper would be dropped and probably never play or the team again. But to do them in the same match, in the biggest club game of the season a game watched live by tens if not hundreds of millions of people. That is a career killer. He's done at Liverpool and he's almost definitely done at the highest level. It will take a long long time for a champions league club to have any confidence in signing him. Frankly he may well struggle to find a decent club at a decent level in the short term.

So professionally it's awful for him but on a personal level it must be absolute hell what he is going through. He will need incredible mental strength to recover from this. Not just now but for the rest of his career. Those mistakes will follow and haunt him throughout his life.

Poor guy.

This although I’d have a little less sympathy if he’d just cost us the Champions League!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think this goalkeeping performance could go further, even on the wonder goal he pulled his arms away from the ball.

Hmmmmm Bruce Grobbelaar.

Liverpool pick them, that's for sure.

Yep, that’s what I commented on at the time too. Not only were his arms at best only half extended when the ball was a yard from the goal line, he also pulled them back to that position.

Strange decision.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He also made exactly the same mistake as the third goal in the home 1st leg semi final against Roma when it was still 0-0
On that occasion the ball squirmed from his hands onto the cross bar. So it was no surprise from me. The less said about the first goal the better.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Your are right. Maybe not bleed but just imagine if Maty had a game like that. You just have to feel sorry for the scousers

Nah.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
as bad as the mistakes were, and they were possibly the worst I've ever seen, the lack of support shown by his team mates, and especially his captain was awful. however much they were hurting and however much Henderson was upset a good captain should of gone over and put an arm around his team mate in that situation. 100% Bruno would have. I have never rated Henderson as a captain for reasons like this and would say its part of the reason Liverpool will still not win the league for a long time as they dont have a real leader.

Aye. It was noticeable that it was Madrid players & staff who went to try & console a clearly distraught ( & not tears for the camera distraught ) player.

# victims

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Was certainly thinking of this really

hart.jpg

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just checked Karius stats in the Premier League this season and surprisingly he has actually done well.

Played 19
Clean sheets 10
Goals conceded 14

Compared with David De Gea, his stats are pretty similar.

Played 37
Clean sheets 18
Goals conceded 28

I don't know if it is possible to recover from such a mental setback, but he is 3 years younger than DeGea, who also had a sticky start at United, so I would advocate he gets the chance to learn from this and use it to develop, but I guess he will be moved on.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wouldn't have happened with a German keeper......

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Poor bloke. None of us can appreciate the mental strength this guy will need for the rest of his life, people are cruel and will jeer him relentlessly. If he’d murdered someone chances are they’d be kinder. Hope he gets another club, perhaps back in his home country.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I hope he gets over it. You would hate to think that he would be mentally scarred by those errors. I am sure players and management will rally round and he might even become an antihero to the fans.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Harry Thomson was a decent Scottish goalkeeper for Burnley in the top flight in the late 1960s. His finest hour came in the 1966/1967 Uefa Cup when he frustrated a hostile Napoli crowd as Burnley held the Italians to a 0-0 draw and an aggregate 3-0 win.

But in the following 1967/1968 Division One season, poor Harry had a nightmare afternoon as Burnley were destroyed 8-1 by West Brom at The Hawthorns in a mid-table clash.

Harry was at fault for several of the goals - the worst was the 5th on the stroke of half-time when Albion right-back Eddie Colquhoun tried his luck from the halfway line and his 50-yard "daisy-cutter" was misjudged by the keeper who allowed the ball to trickle between his legs and into the net.

I think he kept a clean sheet the following week in a 2-0 home win against Newcastle.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Your are right. Maybe not bleed but just imagine if Maty had a game like that. You just have to feel sorry for the scousers

Maty let it an almost identical goal, but fortunately it was in a pre-season friendly that, seemingly, everyone has forgotten about now.
I’m not sure that the Liverpool chap will be so lucky

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here