Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has there ever been a worse keeper display than that

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Did he make any other errors other than those two goals? I know my belief that putting the result of a match on one or two moments is wrong isn't popular, but putting that aside, surely (unless I missed some other errors from him) thinking a keeper who made two errors over ninety minutes might have just put in the worst goalkeeping performance ever seems overly dramatic. Maybe it's the biggest match in which to have a poor performance, maybe the worst performance by a keeper in a champions league final match, but of course there has been many worse performances outside of those caveats. Some have been bad enough to be substituted - something that doesn't ever happen to a fit keeper not having a total 'mare.

They had 5 shots on target, he let in 3 of those and 2 of those were massive blunders that an under 9's GK should have been able to avoid making, so for a keeper in a CL final to make them is shocking

The first, there is one forward near you, why throw it to the area that he is in when you have the ball in your hands and do not need to do anything like that and the 2nd blunder is a routine shot from distance which any half decent keeper should always stop it going in

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I would expect Liverpool to offer about £40m for Butland or as a long shot go for Tom Heaton of Burnley or even Joe Hart.

Joe Hart? JOE HART?

Why would they be looking to replace one goalkeeper who let's in mediocre shots from Gareth Bale in a massive game, with another goalkeeper who let's in mediocre shots from Gareth Bale in a massive game?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
#NeverWrong.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Did he make any other errors other than those two goals? I know my belief that putting the result of a match on one or two moments is wrong isn't popular, but putting that aside, surely (unless I missed some other errors from him) thinking a keeper who made two errors over ninety minutes might have just put in the worst goalkeeping performance ever seems overly dramatic. Maybe it's the biggest match in which to have a poor performance, maybe the worst performance by a keeper in a champions league final match, but of course there has been many worse performances outside of those caveats. Some have been bad enough to be substituted - something that doesn't ever happen to a fit keeper not having a total 'mare.

You're right, apart from the goal where he threw the ball at Benzema from 3 yards away with no one else in 20 yards, and the goal where Bale shot from 35 yards straight at him but forgot to engage any physical resistance in his hands, he had a pretty good game. There has been many worse performances over 90 mins but you would be hard pressed to find a game of this magnitude with two such costly errors. Real school boy errors.

Couldn't do anything about Bale's first goal though. Probably relieved it wasn't near him.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I just heard that after he left the pitch, Karius went back to the dressing room, sat on one of the benches, was distraught, crying, went to put his head in his hands

and missed.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
But what else did he have to do?

Obviously 2 of him wasn't stopping the second, but beyond that you can almost trot out 'he had nothing to do'.

He did make a good save from Benzema after Bale bent one in with the outside of his boot - though I have to say I don't think he knew too much about it. Any possible chance to think about what he was doing would have almost certainly meant a goal.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But what else did he have to do?

Obviously 2 of him wasn't stopping the second, but beyond that you can almost trot out 'he had nothing to do'.

They had 5 shots on target, he let in 3 of those and 2 of those were massive blunders that an under 9's GK should have been able to avoid making, so for a keeper in a CL final to make them is shocking

The first, there is one forward near you, why throw it to the area that he is in when you have the ball in your hands and do not need to do anything like that and the 2nd blunder is a routine shot from distance which any half decent keeper should always stop it going in

I'm not denying he made mistakes, or even arguing it wasn't a bad performance. I recognise that not many people take the same perspective as me when it comes to one or two moments deciding a game. That's not what I'm arguing.

We've seen keepers substituted because they have been having terrible games, Karius's general all round performance wasn't bad enough for Klopp to swap him. Yeah, he conceded 3 of 5. One is a wonder goal there is no accounting for, leaving two errors out of five shots. That's scope for 3 or 4, and that's just leading to goals from shots on target. There's flapping at crosses, putting the defence under unnecessary pressure. There's errant kicking and poor distribution frequently gifting possesison to the other team.

There is so much scope for his performance to have been even worse than it was. That is my point. That to even question if there has been a worse performance is to forget everything in football (see the rest of the thread for just some examples of worse performances).

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I'm not denying he made mistakes, or even arguing it wasn't a bad performance. I recognise that not many people take the same perspective as me when it comes to one or two moments deciding a game. That's not what I'm arguing.

We've seen keepers substituted because they have been having terrible games, Karius's general all round performance wasn't bad enough for Klopp to swap him. Yeah, he conceded 3 of 5. One is a wonder goal there is no accounting for, leaving two errors out of five shots. That's scope for 3 or 4, and that's just leading to goals from shots on target. There's flapping at crosses, putting the defence under unnecessary pressure. There's errant kicking and poor distribution frequently gifting possesison to the other team.

There is so much scope for his performance to have been even worse than it was. That is my point. That to even question if there has been a worse performance is to forget everything in football (see the rest of the thread for just some examples of worse performances).

Your either trolling or being very silly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You do realise Clipperty would have turned to his bench and seen Mignolet, don't you?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Thinking a goalkeeper needs to make more than two errors (even two major errors, even two errors that would grace those sports videos hosted by harry hill) to be considered the worst goalkeeping performance ever means I'm a troll or silly? Whatever.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
No, I think the point he’s trying to make is that when a striker misses an easy chance (and effectively costs their team a goal in the same way as Karius did), there are very few people saying they should never play for the club ever again. Players make simple mistakes all the time - it’s just that when keepers make them there is always a much bigger negative reaction towards them.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

They had already used 2 subs by the time of the 2nd howler, suddenly you are 3-1 down, losing in the final with only a few minutes left to go and needing 2 more goals to force extra time, do you:
- take off the keeper who is having a mare?
- or do you try to make a more positive change that will hopefully get you the goals you need to get back into the match ?

If they had more subs left, or it was earlier in the game, then it would have been likely that the keeper would been subbed for both howlers

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here