Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has there ever been a worse keeper display than that

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Michel Kuipers was substituted at Southend in the opening game of the 2000-01 season.

He didn't do too badly with the Albion in the years that followed though.

But a worse display than Karius? Absolutely not.

This Icelandic young lady wasn't exactly a bastion of confidence.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
One howler, freak goal in a game, even a season is a nightmare for a keeper. Shit happens. 2 in the same game in the CL final on an otherwise ok performance. Gotta feel sorry for him, that game will haunt him for ever, quite career damaging potentially and I doubt anyone will be more gutted. He knows he's gonna be all over the back pages tomorrow, he'll be trending on twitter, facebook will crash with Memes. Sad for . Subbing him would have been too cruel even if they had spares

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The back up 'keeper.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Biggest game of his life and terrible errors, I hope he has the mental strength to get over it.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Like when Arsenal tried to be clever for about 5 years and not sign Shay Given when they should have done, Liverpool should really spend some money on Kasper Schmeichel. Wouldn’t even break the bank. Solid and experienced and will do a good job for 2-3 years. So many wasted years with poor keepers. It was likely that it cost them the league with Rogers and now the CL with Klopp.

Call me old fashion but I don’t get why clubs are trying to be clever with goalkeepers these days. Ball needs to stay out of the net, everything else is secondary.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Honourable mention to Graeme Smith and also Michael Poke at Northampton away in 2011.

Don’t think he ever played again after that howler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Lettuce fingers. What a time to drop 2 bollocks.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Garry Sprake the Leeds and Wales keeper was noted for his howlers but retained his place in both teams.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
as an aside... Karius had our very own Leon Balogun in his back line at Mainz 05 for a couple of years before his £5 million move to Liverpool... may just have the better deal there....

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Regardless of the performance, for Karius to then walk the length of the pitch to his supporters and apologise to them was classy and worthy of respect. He could easily have been forgiven for wanting to get off that pitch as soon as possible and he could have been facing a lynch mob at the other end of the field.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If you’re a pro goalkeeper you’ve got to at the very least do the basics right. Miss a punch, fine, get megged, whatever. But rolling the ball to Benzema when he’s 2ft away from you? Not stopping a shot you can see all the way from boot to the middle of the goal?

Nah sorry mate. You get paid a fortune to not make mistakes like that. That’s where a keepers value lies. And you done messed up.

Feel sorry for him on a human level of course. But you’re not meant to do that job.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
David Coles at Shrewsbury

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Thinking a goalkeeper needs to make more than two errors (even two major errors, even two errors that would grace those sports videos hosted by harry hill) to be considered the worst goalkeeping performance ever means I'm a troll or silly? Whatever.

You need to take into account the level of football the keeper is playing at. The Champions League final is the highest level of club football possible, and that performance by Karius was the poorest of any goalkeeper in a Champions League final.

The first goal was literally the kind of error you would see at schoolboy level.

The third goal just should not happen in a Champions League final. But Karius did the same in the quarter final against Man City when he misjudged a long shot and got lucky when it went through his hands and struck the crossbar.

You have to feel sorry for Karius, but Gareth Bales overhead kick was probably the greatest goal ever in a final, yet the 2 howlers are getting an equal share of the headlines. That's how bad he was.

el punal

Any Scottish international keeper in the 70s and 80s was far worse

And the 60s and 50s and 40s! THE performance though was by Frank Haffey in 1961 at Wembley. England just about scraped home in a tense, dour, defensive battle 9-3. (Note the sarcasm!). Poor Mr.Haffey picked out more balls from the net than your average bingo caller. Still, his fame lasted long and hard. The Scottish humour prevailed with the old joke :

“What’s the time?”

“Haffey past nine!”

:drink: :D

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Without reading every page or even the first, it’s probably been mentioned but has to be Nicky Rust for Barnet on his debut let in 9.

End of thread

That has to be one of the strangest matches I've ever been to. Barnet had two players sent off early on. It was Nicky Rust's debut and he didn't do a lot wrong. Just lethal Peterborough finishing (who always seem to score a load of goals). I always liked Nicky and he was a very polite young man when I met him.

In his second (and last) match for Barnet I think he only let one in, away to Cardiff City, who were promoted that season*

* Statto alert.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here