Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Star Wars - Han Solo Movie - Spoilers

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:Teenagers phone ringing, guy in front bobbing up and down and kid behind talking all the way through the film whilst kicking my seat, grrrrrrrr that's why I hate the cinema. At least Fulham won.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:Teenagers phone ringing, guy in front bobbing up and down and kid behind talking all the way through the film whilst kicking my seat, grrrrrrrr that's why I hate the cinema. At least Fulham won.

Shame your cinema experience was rubbish. Did you at least enjoy the film? Thought it was thoroughly enjoyable myself (and I was expecting it to be a pile of :shit:)

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
First SW film I haven't seen on release day since Jedi, as it looks odd. The main character just didn't seem anything like Solo in the trailer. Was he in the film?

Generally I didn't think he did, but there was an occasional moment, a stance or something similar, where you could see a certain similarity.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Went with my middle son today. Really good film this, lots of twists and turns...

Although a lot of whoosh for an 8 year old.

He was very excited to see the return of a certain Sith Lord.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What? You thought The Phantom Menace was better than The Last Jedi?

The prequels, while containing annoying characters and wooden acting, at least felt like star wars and was the story behind the making of Vader. The music and the visuals were absolutely stunning at the time.

The Phantom Menace was a masterpiece in comparison to this new rubbish. Beyond the trillion plotholes, they took THE most idealistic character in Luke who jumped on the Death Star on his own to confront the 2nd most evil bloke in the galaxy, utterly beyond redemption in almost everyone's eyes, to convert him by seeing the good in him, and now we're supposed to believe he saw abit of evil in his young nephew so justifiably goes to murder him in his sleep???????? Can Rei (or whatever her name is) lose, at ANYTHING? She's been wielding the force for about 2 days yet has shown more power and won more fights than Luke did over 3 movies.

It seems they are transitioning from having to be trained over many years, to being born with it as per the kid at the end who force pulled a broom randomly????? If that's the case they may aswell don some spandex and join up with marvel. I could continue with the absurd about of political messages being crammed down our throats but you get the jist.

NB. If only somebody had throught of jumping to lightspeed (a theoretical principle where space is manipulated around the spacecraft so it is not actually 'there') through the deathstar to destroy it in the originals :facepalm:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The prequels, while containing annoying characters and wooden acting, at least felt like star wars and was the story behind the making of Vader. The music and the visuals were absolutely stunning at the time.

The Phantom Menace was a masterpiece in comparison to this new rubbish. Beyond the trillion plotholes, they took THE most idealistic character in Luke who jumped on the Death Star on his own to confront the 2nd most evil bloke in the galaxy, utterly beyond redemption in almost everyone's eyes, to convert him by seeing the good in him, and now we're supposed to believe he saw abit of evil in his young nephew so justifiably goes to murder him in his sleep???????? Can Rei (or whatever her name is) lose, at ANYTHING? She's been wielding the force for about 2 days yet has shown more power and won more fights than Luke did over 3 movies.

It seems they are transitioning from having to be trained over many years, to being born with it as per the kid at the end who force pulled a broom randomly????? If that's the case they may aswell don some spandex and join up with marvel. I could continue with the absurd about of political messages being crammed down our throats but you get the jist.

NB. If only somebody had throught of jumping to lightspeed (a theoretical principle where space is manipulated around the spacecraft so it is not actually 'there') through the deathstar to destroy it in the originals :facepalm:

OKaaaaay.

You do realise....it’s a film series....not a real life or death struggle waged between teddy beard, yetis, ninja monks and the third reich?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It was ok but no real tension in the film as you knew that nothing was going to happen to Han, Chewie, or Lando. I liked the film overall but the editing was poor - looked like it had been cobbled together by many hands. Worth catching if you like the SW univererse, but I cant help but feel all these new films are diluting the original trilogy which was pretty good and now a distant memory.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well the visuals were overly CGI, so not all good.
Beyond the trillion plotholes, they took THE most idealistic character in Luke who jumped on the Death Star on his own to confront the 2nd most evil bloke in the galaxy, utterly beyond redemption in almost everyone's eyes, to convert him by seeing the good in him, and now we're supposed to believe he saw abit of evil in his young nephew so justifiably goes to murder him in his sleep?
I can see you have a bit of a point, but... the 2nd most evil bloke you refer to was his father, a man he'd never known, and Luke could sense that there was good in him. He was right. He also wasn't actually going to murder Ben, but before thinking did raise his saber. Yes, that was pretty stupid. Justifiably? He never said it was justifiable, he said he failed Ben.

Can Rei (or whatever her name is) lose, at ANYTHING? She's been wielding the force for about 2 days yet has shown more power and won more fights than Luke did over 3 movies.
Luke had 1 minute of training in a new hope, and took on Vader in Empire after training with Yoda. Vader was more powerful, but not by much. Then in Jedi, Luke beats Vader. Ray is very powerful, but in the first one she was frozen solid by Ben (she lost) before putting up a good fight later on when he was already badly injured (shot by Chewie) and he wasn't even trying to hurt her. Then in the second one she's thrown around by Snoke like a ****ing rag doll, while he just sits there relaxing. So you've got that one wrong.

It seems they are transitioning from having to be trained over many years, to being born with it
Luke wasn't trained over many years.
as per the kid at the end who force pulled a broom randomly?
Like Anakin being able to win pod races.

If only somebody had throught of jumping to lightspeed (a theoretical principle where space is manipulated around the spacecraft so it is not actually 'there') through the deathstar to destroy it in the originals :facepalm:
I don't think Starwars uses that principle for lightspeed - they have to run calculations to make sure they don't hit objects etc, and that's been the case since the start. If you don't like the way lightspeed works, then you can't like the originals either. I agree about sending the ship through the star-destroyer though - why can they do that now, but not before?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
First SW film I haven't seen on release day since Jedi, as it looks odd. The main character just didn't seem anything like Solo in the trailer. Was he in the film?

There were moments where he was the embodiment of Han but the standout performance was Donald Glover as Lando.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Seems the 'Star Wars Stories' are holding up better than the main sequence films - 'Rogue One' is my favourite Star Wars film and 'Solo' was pretty solid as well, saw it in 2D yesterday and going back to see in 3D next week.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
they took THE most idealistic character in Luke who jumped on the Death Star on his own to confront the 2nd most evil bloke in the galaxy, utterly beyond redemption in almost everyone's eyes, to convert him by seeing the good in him, and now we're supposed to believe he saw abit of evil in his young nephew so justifiably goes to murder him in his sleep????????

The number of people that put this argument forward is bizarre.

https://youtu.be/YZ_j3s5xj8I?t=1m39s

Yeah, he went there planning to save his father. But while he was there he learned the death star was fully operational, and his plan to redeem his father goes on the back burner. In fact Luke is so angry, so fearful for his friends, that he forgets his mission to redeem his father and instead he fights his father. As the battle goes on (From around 1.40-1.45) he gets the upper hand and starts laying into him, even chopping his hand off. It's that hand removal that shocks Luke back into his senses.

It's a clear sign that as idealistic as people like to remember him as, Luke also has moments where he loses focus. To suggest his momentary thought of killing Ben was so out of character is to ignore what actually happened on the second death star.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Was there a back to the future reference in there?

I thought there was a bit where Han refers to a street racer named Needles who taught him a racing move, referring to Needles (played by Flea?) in BTTF parts 2 and 3?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Saw this on Friday. It was probably the least enjoyable of all the Star Wars films.

Not a bad film, but I came out a little underwhelmed.

I'd go along with this, all a bit predictable imo.

Took me a while to get into the film as the start just seemed to be about cramming in as much action as possible for the sake of it with no real affinity for the characters at that point

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Mate.

You're overthinking this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here