Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Red Lion in Shoreham which is currently undergoing refurbishment, is planning to reopen in June according to the workman I spoke to on Friday. Not sure who will be running it but it will be nice to see it reopen.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Apparently The Roebuck in Laughton will reopen under new management when a refurbishment is completed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The demise of pubs has been going on a lot longer than covid. The supermarkets flogging cheap booze has been slowly killing them off.

Of course, but Covid is only going to exacerbate the situation. I'm sure that a number of pubs won't be reopening their doors in the coming weeks and months.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
3A58F550-7A4E-41A0-9E83-B8D472AE7EA7.jpeg
I wonder if this pubs business has been affected by the pandemic :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The demise of pubs has been going on a lot longer than covid. The supermarkets flogging cheap booze has been slowly killing them off.

The traditional pubs are in demise but in many towns they are replaced by 'bars'. For example, Haywards Heath lost the Pilgrim, The Duck, The Haworthe, The Liverpool Arms and The Sussex, but now have the Savannah, Orange Square, Lockhart Tavern and a couple of others I think on the Broadway.

In Burgess Hill, we've lost The Kings Head, The George, The Junction, The Weald but in the last 30 years we've added The Woolpack, The Block and Gasket, The Martletts and Quench. There was also Pulse which closed pending the redevelopment of the town centre.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just went past the Amsterdam and Swiss Cottage in Shoreham..both look geared up to open tomorrow..wish then every success ...the work these places must have put in should not be underestimated.

Lots of people out over Shoreham beach stretching their legs and chatting good to see , as was going past Buckingham Park earlier and seeing loads of team games

Crowborough. Welcome Stranger, Rose and Crown, Plough and Horses and just on the Forest, the Half Moon. Rotherfield George and Harvest Moon plus the Bicycle Arms.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good news! The Red Lion in Shoreham has reopened!

Nice refurb inside and out. OK beer selection including Longman on cask and Leffe on draught.

Oh that's excellent news! I'd feared the worst when I saw they'd taken down the sign.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
That rare thing - a 'Spoons that was already a pub (The Cross) that is frequented by the younger Pottings and others of their generation.

Remember seeing local group called Sussex at Rose and Crown , i think , quite good , "whats the point" was there top tune at the time ,
Re Spoons , .....FFS , nice n cheap , but some are seriously Understaffed, reckon your one is too ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The other pub in Fittleworth (big one on the corner) has been shut and vacant for a while to I think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here