Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Worked there one Christmas. No locals, only parties in the function room both lunchtime and evenings. Made a killing. Paid coach drivers to stop off on the way down and back to Eastbourne. Little old ladies paid over the top for 'home brewed' bottles of cider and mead not knowing I'd spent all morning taking the Merrydown labels off the bottles.
I learnt a lot from the landlord. For instance, all you can drink cabaret parties. Arrive at pub but landlord not available with tickets so have to buy first drink. Landlord arrives with tickets but only time to get one free drink as food is served. After food time for one drink as cabaret starts and no moving permitted. After cabaret time for one drink before last orders. Then bar reopens but all cash sales.

That landlord sounds like a wanker

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Black Duck at Warbleton has closed.
It has been struggling for a while, but Covid restrictions were the final straw.
Another country pub lost.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The Black Duck at Warbleton has closed.
It has been struggling for a while, but Covid restrictions were the final straw.
Another country pub lost.

Damn good pub and excellent food, real shame.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Red Lion in Shoreham has closed too

That is a shame, their Easter beer festival had become an annual event for a group of us. Hope it manages to find new owners

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Has the Horns Lodge at Chailey reopened?

A former colleague had it for a bit, but he was to the licence trade what Greg Stanley was to flower arranging.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It’s never reopened after the ‘lockdown’

It was a great pub. Used to do it as part of the Shoreham pub crawl when I lived in the UK, along with the Buckingham Arms, Lazy Toad (Piston Broke) and the Welly when Roy Chuter was the landlord. Think the Red Lion may have been on the Camra Ale Trail back in the day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here