Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't know the Haywagon had shut, further along the 3 Crowns in Ashurstwood has been shut a while.
    To be fair it’s hardly a loss. Is the Maypole still going?
    Never accused of trolling by Gary Crittenden.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

5 Not allowed!
      And this one. I can't remember what it was called though. Or where it was. Any ideas?

Mackay: I'm going to book you for that.
      Cooper: You what?
      Mackay: What's your name, Cooper?
      Cooper: Cooper.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      One for the oldies. I am trying to remember the name of the land lady at The Franklands Washington who was the licencee for many years in the 60s and I believe the 70s. I believe that she handed over to her daughter and son in law.,
      Was it Mary or Agnes or Betty or Ethel or Joan or Celia or Deirdre or Edith or Harriet or Kathleen or Maureen or Nora or Petunia ?
      now my friends have gone,
      and my hair is grey,
      and I ache in the places that I used to play.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      Really! Think you need to take into account changing habits of the punters. Savannah, Orange Square, the Lockhart Tavern and I think a couple of others.
      .I was in most of the above on Friday night

I mentioned it because this is a thread about closed pubs.

Mind you, If it was one about new bars opening.......................
      "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016

0 Not allowed!
      I look at so many of the pubs that have closed and can't help but think it's the lack of investment that have killed them off. There were so many tired and run down places that looked like they hadn't had any love for years, and you wondered how they managed to stay open so long. Oh and ps I am aware that in a lot of cases this was deliberate so the owners could justify turning them into flats and convenience stores.
      I trust no one, not even myself
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by robinsonsgrin View Post
      NOOOO... loved that place. great sit out pub in the sun and a convenient midway point to meet mates from north of the county..
      Must have been one hell of a trek from California though.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Voroshilov View Post
      I look at so many of the pubs that have closed and can't help but think it's the lack of investment that have killed them off. There were so many tired and run down places that looked like they hadn't had any love for years, and you wondered how they managed to stay open so long. Oh and ps I am aware that in a lot of cases this was deliberate so the owners could justify turning them into flats and convenience stores.
      The reason for this was that the Monoplies commission acted against the pub companies for the their tied trade agreement. This resulted in the brewers splitting tinto 2 areas either brewers or pub owners and employed people to act for the pub owners and segt the rents. They in turn decided that the rents being paid by their 'tenants' wasnt at market value so upped the rents based on square footage which as anybody knows is a lot of wasted footage in pubs. That produced rents that couldnt be justified and meant the lease holders then struggled to make a profit. The major companies were Inntrepeneur (now Enterprise Inns) ex Grand Met Pubs, Punch Taverns ex Bass Charrington and Vanguard ex Allied Brewers pubs. These unaffordable rents have caused the knock on effect from the 70s to today. Just as an example my pub inb Guidlford as a tenency teid to Wartneys had a rent of £15000 per year post monoplies commission the rent went to £34,000 per year which was unaffordable.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      The reason for this was that the Monoplies commission acted against the pub companies for the their tied trade agreement. This resulted in the brewers splitting tinto 2 areas either brewers or pub owners and employed people to act for the pub owners and segt the rents. They in turn decided that the rents being paid by their 'tenants' wasnt at market value so upped the rents based on square footage which as anybody knows is a lot of wasted footage in pubs. That produced rents that couldnt be justified and meant the lease holders then struggled to make a profit. The major companies were Inntrepeneur (now Enterprise Inns) ex Grand Met Pubs, Punch Taverns ex Bass Charrington and Vanguard ex Allied Brewers pubs. These unaffordable rents have caused the knock on effect from the 70s to today. Just as an example my pub inb Guidlford as a tenency teid to Wartneys had a rent of £15000 per year post monoplies commission the rent went to £34,000 per year which was unaffordable.
      Well you've mangled the explanation but yes that is part of the reason
      I trust no one, not even myself
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Lease holders in the main have a full repairing lease and with their high rents and the high price they pay for the beer as opposed to free holders are unable to afford the investment needed to maintain the property adequately.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Worthing: Downview, Elms and Southdown to name but 3. To balance things out I can think of 4 new micro-pubs that have opened