Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
And this one. I can't remember what it was called though. Or where it was. Any ideas?

attachment.php

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One for the oldies. I am trying to remember the name of the land lady at The Franklands Washington who was the licencee for many years in the 60s and I believe the 70s. I believe that she handed over to her daughter and son in law.,

Was it Mary or Agnes or Betty or Ethel or Joan or Celia or Deirdre or Edith or Harriet or Kathleen or Maureen or Nora or Petunia ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Really! Think you need to take into account changing habits of the punters. Savannah, Orange Square, the Lockhart Tavern and I think a couple of others.

.I was in most of the above on Friday night

I mentioned it because this is a thread about closed pubs.

Mind you, If it was one about new bars opening.......................

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I look at so many of the pubs that have closed and can't help but think it's the lack of investment that have killed them off. There were so many tired and run down places that looked like they hadn't had any love for years, and you wondered how they managed to stay open so long. Oh and ps I am aware that in a lot of cases this was deliberate so the owners could justify turning them into flats and convenience stores.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I look at so many of the pubs that have closed and can't help but think it's the lack of investment that have killed them off. There were so many tired and run down places that looked like they hadn't had any love for years, and you wondered how they managed to stay open so long. Oh and ps I am aware that in a lot of cases this was deliberate so the owners could justify turning them into flats and convenience stores.

The reason for this was that the Monoplies commission acted against the pub companies for the their tied trade agreement. This resulted in the brewers splitting tinto 2 areas either brewers or pub owners and employed people to act for the pub owners and segt the rents. They in turn decided that the rents being paid by their 'tenants' wasnt at market value so upped the rents based on square footage which as anybody knows is a lot of wasted footage in pubs. That produced rents that couldnt be justified and meant the lease holders then struggled to make a profit. The major companies were Inntrepeneur (now Enterprise Inns) ex Grand Met Pubs, Punch Taverns ex Bass Charrington and Vanguard ex Allied Brewers pubs. These unaffordable rents have caused the knock on effect from the 70s to today. Just as an example my pub inb Guidlford as a tenency teid to Wartneys had a rent of £15000 per year post monoplies commission the rent went to £34,000 per year which was unaffordable.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The reason for this was that the Monoplies commission acted against the pub companies for the their tied trade agreement. This resulted in the brewers splitting tinto 2 areas either brewers or pub owners and employed people to act for the pub owners and segt the rents. They in turn decided that the rents being paid by their 'tenants' wasnt at market value so upped the rents based on square footage which as anybody knows is a lot of wasted footage in pubs. That produced rents that couldnt be justified and meant the lease holders then struggled to make a profit. The major companies were Inntrepeneur (now Enterprise Inns) ex Grand Met Pubs, Punch Taverns ex Bass Charrington and Vanguard ex Allied Brewers pubs. These unaffordable rents have caused the knock on effect from the 70s to today. Just as an example my pub inb Guidlford as a tenency teid to Wartneys had a rent of £15000 per year post monoplies commission the rent went to £34,000 per year which was unaffordable.
Well you've mangled the explanation but yes that is part of the reason

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lease holders in the main have a full repairing lease and with their high rents and the high price they pay for the beer as opposed to free holders are unable to afford the investment needed to maintain the property adequately.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Worthing: Downview, Elms and Southdown to name but 3. To balance things out I can think of 4 new micro-pubs that have opened

Just found out the Beechwood has closed down too, as was just about to head down there, been dying a death for many years now, but a shame as the building and gardens has such potential

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Worthing: Downview, Elms and Southdown to name but 3. To balance things out I can think of 4 new micro-pubs that have opened

Add to those: The Half Brick, The Littentree, The Waterfront/Inn On The Prom, The Montague, The Globe, The Dolphin, The Clifton, Jolly Brewers, Rivoli, Flappers, Town's Pride, Timothy Shelley, Frog Pond, Maple Leaf, Portland Tavern, Yates, Wigmore Arms, The Wheatsheaf in the 20-odd years I've been drinking

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm still mourning the closure of the Three Crowns in East Preston in 1997.

I wonder where Des Lynam drinks then?

I love East Preston actually, it's somewhere the wife and l go on occasion, for a walk along the beach to blow the cobwebs away. I didn't realise it once had a pub actually.

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock
To be fair it’s hardly a loss. Is the Maypole still going?

Three Crowns was going well when I worked there in 1991! After those landlords left hasn't had anybody stay for any length of time and was dying a death for years. Maypole is still going but is half the size it was, with the other half now a house and the pub just one room. Was still going when I was back home last (Xmas 2017). Miss those lock in's with Frank the mad Irishman

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's no such pub called The Seavie?, in East Preston.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here