Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sad to find out yesterday that the Frankland Arms in Washington has closed. Thought it would do a decent trade from walkers on the South Downs Way. Not many other pubs nearby. It joins an ever- growing list -

Trevor Arms, Glynde
Rose Cottage Inn, Alciston
Black Horse, Amberley

Any more that have recently fallen by the wayside?

To quote that great man of Sussex Hillaire Belloc: "When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The Terminus in Eastbourne. A former Harveys Pub of the Year is now a branch of trendy eatery Bills.

Mind you, pub of the year or not it was a bit of a shithole.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I understand that the Black horse in amberley is due to reopen in the near future

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Stopped off at the Frankland once or twice whilst cycling on the SDW, always a lovely place to stop and refresh - good sized garden there. Only went into the Black Horse in Amberley once or twice before it closed, was pretty good...could do well if it reopened as the Sportsman has gone downhill since they changed owners in recent years.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Sad to find out yesterday that the Frankland Arms in Washington has closed. Thought it would do a decent trade from walkers on the South Downs Way. Not many other pubs nearby. It joins an ever- growing list -

Trevor Arms, Glynde
Black Horse, Amberley

To quote that great man of Sussex Hillaire Belloc: "When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."

NOOOO... loved that place. great sit out pub in the sun and a convenient midway point to meet mates from north of the county..

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Anyone know what is happening to the Ship Inn on the Lewes to Uckfield road? Closed a few years back and seems empty since then. Not big enough for a 'chain' pub (Toby etc) but at the same time not been lived in as far as I can see.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Pub where I had my first pint closed about 50 years ago.The Old Tree at the bottom of Broad Street in Seaford.Unfortunately,my parents saw me going in,so it was clip round the ear time later,as I was slightly underage!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Royal Oak Wivelsfield Green

Mill House Crawley

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone know what is happening to the Ship Inn on the Lewes to Uckfield road? Closed a few years back and seems empty since then. Not big enough for a 'chain' pub (Toby etc) but at the same time not been lived in as far as I can see.

For many years before that, it was called The Stewards Enquiry.

The main problem is that's miles from a populace, and thesedays the vast majority of people adhere to the drink drive laws.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've heard the lease has been put back up on this one and at the moment it's not going to be turned into flats, but I expect that will be the end result in the future.

I am not sure if it is the case but usually the council require it to be put up to let and not taken up for 2 years before they will allow it to be delicenced with change of use or demolished

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One for the oldies. I am trying to remember the name of the land lady at The Franklands Washington who was the licencee for many years in the 60s and I believe the 70s. I believe that she handed over to her daughter and son in law.,

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom

Trevor Arms, Glynde
Black Horse, Amberley

I believe that the Rose Cottage in Alciston has reopened [emoji106]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One for the oldies. I am trying to remember the name of the land lady at The Franklands Washington who was the licencee for many years in the 60s and I believe the 70s. I believe that she handed over to her daughter and son in law.,

I think it had been run by the same family for many, many years, going back to the 1920s.

I can’t remember their name, either.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It wasn't that long ago that we had 9 pubs in Haywards Heath.

We now have 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here