Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I work in Uckfield and apparently it has been gutted and turned into a house (Old Ship/ Stewards Inquiry). You get the impression though that it's not being done by a professional developer. It still has the pub sign, there's still some pub furniture in he garden and they've only just removed the 'Sorry we're closed' sign from the car park. So it's all a bit strange. Also when I go to work on the bus the automatic voice still says "Next stop, Uckfield Old Ship". No one has ever got on or off there though.
I have never seen anyone inside the building and I go past both day and night. Never any lights or a TV flicker.

Meanwhile. Whitbread, one of the biggest brewers in the 70's, now only have Costa, Premier Inn, Brewers Fayre and other minor brands.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I have never seen anyone inside the building and I go past both day and night. Never any lights or a TV flicker.

Meanwhile. Whitbread, one of the biggest brewers in the 70's, now only have Costa, Premier Inn, Brewers Fayre and other minor brands.
I too go past it every day. You're right, I've never seen any signs that it's actually inhabited, but some of the guys at work say the pub interior has gone. Like I say it's a bit strange and that's why I don't think it's being done by a professional developer. It gives the impression that it's being done up by a hobbyist who only works on it at weekends and he hasn't finished it yet.

I'll ask around at work and see if I can find out any more.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
All this talk of bygone local brewereies, who, and where, were Phoenix Beweries? presumably big Brighton brewers intheir day, as they sponsored the Albion shirts when l first saw us play in 1985.

Phoenix Brewery was next to the Free Butt (another lost pub), behind where the Phoenix Gallery is now

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
The pub closest to me The Ship in Aldwick, Bognor Regis sadly closed by Enterprise Inns a couple of years ago - reopened as a small supermarket (directly opposite the local newsagent) and within walking distance of a Tesco express and 2 co-op shops then became a MyLocal and now is shut again.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not going to listen the missus again, she told me she'd eaten there before. :ffsparr:

The pub was a going concern but personal reasons have caused it to close. The landlord treated his partner the landlady to a pampering weekend away with her friend meanwhile he married his lover! Needless to say the pub, a freehold owned by them somewhat suffered. A bit of scandal to hit the sleepy hamlet

boik

Living in Hassocks for the last 20 years, can only really think of the Sandrock at Ditchling round here, and that was no great loss. Hassocks still has 3 (if you include Keymer), Hurst has 3 and Ditchling still has 2.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Living in Hassocks for the last 20 years, can only really think of the Sandrock at Ditchling round here, and that was no great loss. Hassocks still has 3 (if you include Keymer), Hurst has 3 and Ditchling still has 2.
Royal Oak gone Ditchling common

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'll throw in the Downsman in Hangleton. A slightly strange but welcoming pub. I miss it.

Passed there the other day, had boards up all round the site. Assuming it is going to be knocked down and houses/flats built there instead?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here