Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is the Seavie? still open in East Preston?

Do you remember bill Stockwell who ran the golden cannon, the constant service and various other pubs in kemp town and Hanover? My wife's grandad

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Was it Mary or Agnes or Betty or Ethel or Joan or Celia or Deirdre or Edith or Harriet or Kathleen or Maureen or Nora or Petunia ?

Nope, not me.

I did work in the Hove Park Tavern though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sad to find out yesterday that the Frankland Arms in Washington has closed. Thought it would do a decent trade from walkers on the South Downs Way. Not many other pubs nearby. It joins an ever- growing list -

Trevor Arms, Glynde
Rose Cottage Inn, Alciston
Black Horse, Amberley

Any more that have recently fallen by the wayside?

To quote that great man of Sussex Hillaire Belloc: "When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."
Had gone downhill a little bit. We used to use it a lot in the summer when we took the dogs (and children) for walks over Chanctonbury way and I had a couple of birthdays there. Last time I went the food was very poor. However I am very disappointed it's closed, no reason to go that way now :(

Anyone know what is happening to the Ship Inn on the Lewes to Uckfield road? Closed a few years back and seems empty since then. Not big enough for a 'chain' pub (Toby etc) but at the same time not been lived in as far as I can see.
I work in Uckfield and apparently it has been gutted and turned into a house. You get the impression though that it's not being done by a professional developer. It still has the pub sign, there's still some pub furniture in he garden and they've only just removed the 'Sorry we're closed' sign from the car park. So it's all a bit strange. Also when I go to work on the bus the automatic voice still says "Next stop, Uckfield Old Ship". No one has ever got on or off there though.

I knew the Haywagon had gone but not the Half Moon?

Isn’t it owned by the Del la Warrs? Back when I used to drink there it was run by one of the family, Lady Arabella.

She ran an interesting boozer in her own ‘unique’ way. :)
Worked with a chap in the early '80's who house shared in one of the estate cottages nearby. Helping in the pub seemed to be an unnoficial condition of the tenancy.

........me again! Interesting if somewhat depressing thread. To add to the list:
Victoria, Groombridge
Rose and Crown, Plough and Horses Crowborough.
The George, Rotherfield, Hall Moon Town Row.
Bicycle Arms, Argos Hill.
Horam Inn, now a Co-op.
Welcome Stranger aka Railway Jarvis Brook - signs of "doing it up" activity for a while now but not sure if it is as a pub - a rare "Sheps" pub in the area.

And on a brighter note the Wheatsheaf at Jarvis Brook - a fine Harvey house - continues to be busy. Maybe a " open Sussex pubs worthy of support" thread is needed?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Maypole is still going but is half the size it was, with the other half now a house and the pub just one room. Was still going when I was back home last (Xmas 2017). Miss those lock in's with Frank the mad Irishman

I also enjoyed many a lock in with Frank and Mary many moons ago. Interesting ‘couple’ :D

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Slightly OT. In the past most of the pubs in the Brighton to Worthing area were tied to either Tamplins or Kemp Town breweries. It is still possible to see the Kemp Town sign (usually in tiling) on some of their former pubs. I have never recently seen the Tamplins sign anywhere. Does anyone know if such a sign still exists?

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Slightly OT. In the past most of the pubs in the Brighton to Worthing area were tied to either Tamplins or Kemp Town breweries. It is still possible to see the Kemp Town sign (usually in tiling) on some of their former pubs. I have never recently seen the Tamplins sign anywhere. Does anyone know if such a sign still exists?

The Victory Inn, Duke St?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I'm not totally sure but I think there might be something along the side wall of the Egremont in Worthing?

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
I'm not totally sure but I think there might be something along the side wall of the Egremont in Worthing?

Dolphin Ales, Kemptown Brewery; stripped and repainted when it was refurbished in 2014.

The Egremont was built in 1835 by George Greenfield who also built the adjoining brewery, later known as Tower Brewery and then in 1930 as Chapman's Brewery.

The Tower Brewery was acquired by Kemp Town Brewery in 1924 and closed in 1926. It has since been converted into flats.

Source: http://www.worthingpubs.com/egremont/egremont.htm

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mid Sussex District Council are on a mission to turn every pub in Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath into flats or a Co-Op, I believe.

There are only about six Co-ops between the two towns currently: it's quite clear more are desperately needed to serve the local residents' late night demands for tea bags and tinned tomatoes.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Mid Sussex District Council are on a mission to turn every pub in Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath into flats or a Co-Op, I believe.

There are only about six Co-ops between the two towns currently: it's quite clear more are desperately needed to serve the local residents' late night demands for tea bags and tinned tomatoes.
its the brewery's who are selling the pubs but I suppose you need tea bags late at night"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Could it be co incidence that Gary Wall a Mid Sussex District Councillor owns or is a director of Orange Sq. It could also explain the reason JDW didnt get permission to convert The Priory incidentally opposite where he lives in Priory Mews

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here