Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Monaco Grand Prix thread

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some people appreciate the driver skill involved and enjoy it.You don't see a great deal of overtaking at events like the TT races,but it's still worth watching/going.

I don't think anyone is demeaning the skill but the clue is in the name of the sport, 'motor racing'. If you can't overtake on a circuit then it's not really racing. Relying on 'incidents' or pit stops to change positions is not really what people want to see. If Monaco was a new circuit it wouldn't be allowed on to the calendar.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Hamilton and Alonso slammed the track after the race labelling it the most boring race ever saying they were not racing but conserving tyres. The winner had a stricken car but could not be overtaken, the race venue is a farce as a sporting spectacle.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Maybe its just nostalgia kicking in, but I'm sure Monaco used to be an entertaining race to watch.

Yesterday was almost literally a 78 lap procession, and although DR deserves credit for staying in front with his power issues, I can't imagine he'd have had any hope of doing so in that situation on any other track on the calendar.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe its just nostalgia kicking in, but I'm sure Monaco used to be an entertaining race to watch.

Yesterday was almost literally a 78 lap procession, and although DR deserves credit for staying in front with his power issues, I can't imagine he'd have had any hope of doing so in that situation on any other track on the calendar.

This was allegedly one of the best and shows how near impossible it is to overtake. How fecking long did it take to change tyres back then?

That was some very brave and committed driving, how knackered does Mansell look in comparison to yesterday’s drivers at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqipJ2lSZs#fauxfullscreen

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I don't think anyone is demeaning the skill but the clue is in the name of the sport, 'motor racing'. If you can't overtake on a circuit then it's not really racing. Relying on 'incidents' or pit stops to change positions is not really what people want to see. If Monaco was a new circuit it wouldn't be allowed on to the calendar.

So how did Verstappen get from the back of the grid to mid-field?Perhaps Red Bull gave him wings,and he flew past?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
at least we only had to enjure an hour and half

back in the 50's you'd had to watch Fangio trot round in the lead for 3 hours!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If you are there a shit race doesn't matter because the noise and speed an anticipation of them coming into view again is pretty decent. At Monaco, you are closer, the laps are shorter so plenty of activity. I can see why it sells out.

They'd only consider dumping it if TV viewing figures drop off.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
Here's an idea- reverse the grid, per championship positions before the race, and double the points...

THEN we might see some overtaking attempts.

...is the correct answer. Said it before, but giving the fastest competitors in a race a headstart does not a good spectacle make.

Alternatively, football could follow F1's example. Man City to start next season on 20 points, Man United on 19, etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here