Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Moore

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
SO lets say a late 35 million bid for Dunk comes in... we would want Moore then for 15 wouldn't we. And be happy to pay it.

We have 4 quality wingers for 2 positions
We have 4 quality centre Mids for 2 positions

Why wouldn't we be doing the same for Centre half ?....

Ps I think about 10 would be about right for Moore.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Glad to see people being realistic that we are not going or need to spend mega money on a a player to be cover. If we think that whoever comes in will be to take over Duffy's role then that is a different matter entirely.

To compete with, not necessarily take over, BG... let it go FFS... you are talking bollox (again)...

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Having 2 players for every Position allows for full squad rotation as required which is not something we have been able to do before. IMO whoever the 4th CB may be, he will need to first team ready and not just emergency cover.

Stumpy Tim

I think the centre back position is slightly different though. Hughton does rotate the wingers, but won't rotate centre halves - which means the person coming in will be 4th choice.

I know most people want White to go out on loan, but personally I think there's also a lot to be gained in his development in training with a Premier League squad and playing U23 football. I suspect that will happen if we don't get the defender we're after

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
that is my view but not pay £15m+ for him.

No. That is NOT your view... you kept banging on about signing a journeyman CB, when that is CLEARLY at odds with our CORRECT recruitment policy (signing mid-20's genuine competition for D, D & B)... you even gave that Wet Sham has-been Collins the thumbs up... meanwhile, the club ACTUALLY made bids for Moore (they haven't given up), and we were also linked to JOC... you were wrong then / you are still wrong...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All this continued talk of Moore makes me worried for the future of Dunk. It is not hard to get a decent 3rd / 4th choice centre back at a value price for a club like us. At £15 mill Moore is the sort of player we might look to sign to replace Dunk.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Someone like Liam Moore at the stage he is in his career will already be on very decent money. He will be looking to earn more if he moves to us. I personally think we will move for the lad from Sheff Utd or another promising youngster as we did when we signed Goldson.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We've bought so well this summer and covered ourselves in so many positions that I find it hard to believe we will leave ourselves with limited cover in the final position. I am very confident we will get a home grown centre back, which will probably complete the squad unless both Hemed and Baldock are sold. We've done so well this summer that it would be strange to leave ourselves vulnerable in one area.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
SO lets say a late 35 million bid for Dunk comes in... we would want Moore then for 15 wouldn't we. And be happy to pay it.

We have 4 quality wingers for 2 positions
We have 4 quality centre Mids for 2 positions

Why wouldn't we be doing the same for Centre half ?....

Ps I think about 10 would be about right for Moore.

Well said... CH has already made it clear he wants exactly this... still, BG disagrees, so CH must be wrong! :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wish we’d been able to keep hold of Goldson or Hune - I appreciate they had to go for their reasons but they’d be ideal as a back-up type player to fill in when needed!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
All this continued talk of Moore makes me worried for the future of Dunk. It is not hard to get a decent 3rd / 4th choice centre back at a value price for a club like us. At £15 mill Moore is the sort of player we might look to sign to replace Dunk.

No. To compete with him... and if the worst happens, to step in...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Exactly this. Old tried-and-trusted journeyman Stephen Ward didn't do so badly when he went to Burnley, did he? And Wayne Bridge is still, in my opinion, the best left-back we've ever had. If a solid, proven performer were willing to be our fourth-choice central defender then that would be fantastic.

I don't think we should under-estimate the usefulness of old trusted journeymen; Matthew Upson and Wayne Bridge did us no harm at all, and in the middle of our first season in the first division Pete Suddaby saved our bacon. I hope that as a club we aren't to big (for our boots) to use such where appropriate. After all, even the mighty (and very rich) Chelsea have just signed Rob Green!

I think my interpretation of Tried and Trusted Journeymen must be different to some others.

If they are good enough to go straight into the first team for a whole season like Stephen Ward, Wayne Bridge and Matthew Upson did, I would go Tried and Trusted Journeymen all the way :thumbsup:

(I get the impression that we are still looking, and if a CB is available, at the right price and can put pressure on the existing 3, even if it's not immediately, we'd be in for them. However, I don't think we are desperate given the cover we've already got).

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am quite surprised this thread even exists. I have lost track of the squad with all the comings and goings but thats a lot of money for a centre half

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It would be crazy business to blow £10million on a central defender with a couple of years Championship experience, only. I'm not having a go at him, and I don't doubt the strategy of our recruitment team but it seems like a waste when we have plenty of players who could cover and a manager with no interest in rotating the team. Duffy, Balogun and Dunk are first choice and there are plenty of under 23 players who could step in. Bong and Bruno would be adequate cover as well.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We bought in Balogun to be our 2nd/3rd pick after Dunk. No way will he suddenly be 3rd/4th choice.

No, this will be a 4th choice central defender who will either be with the future in mind, or have plenty of experience and not expect to play every week.

But why? What if we can sign someone thats better than Dunk, we'd take that option wouldn't we? And I'd rather try and sign someone thats better than Dunk than sign someone whos not better than Dunk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It would be crazy business to blow £10million on a central defender with a couple of years Championship experience, only. I'm not having a go at him, and I don't doubt the strategy of our recruitment team but it seems like a waste when we have plenty of players who could cover and a manager with no interest in rotating the team. Duffy, Balogun and Dunk are first choice and there are plenty of under 23 players who could step in. Bong and Bruno would be adequate cover as well.

Bruno too slow.
Bong no.
White best U-23 should go out on loan, preferably to Championship this time...

Maybe Bernardo? But we really need a 4th CB, due to probable suspensions & injuries in that position (we got away with it last season)...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But why? What if we can sign someone thats better than Dunk, we'd take that option wouldn't we? And I'd rather try and sign someone thats better than Dunk than sign someone whos not better than Dunk

I'm with you, but BG wants to sign James Collins or similar!!??

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Apart from the keepers, this summers singings have been bought to compete to start, so doubt we're just going to buy some clodhopper centre half who wont even make the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here