Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sit Down, Stand Up

el punal

I’ve just read, albeit very briefly, Paul Barber suggesting that clubs should implement a standing section for away fans to allow those that wish to be seated are able to do so without having their view obstructed.

Seems sensible to me, but has not been practical in the past because of seat allocation not taking into account whether the fan wants to sit or stand.

So my ever simple suggestion - why not do away with seat allocation all together for visiting fans. Instead, introduce a simple entrance ticket for the away section with the proviso that the first ten rows, for example, are for fans that wish to sit. Those that wish to stand then take the back part of the away section. In that way everyone’s happy and you won’t get the “Oi! You’re in my seat” scenario.

Anyway, would love to hear your views or suggestions regarding this. :drink:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Just ask them to specify what they want to do and issue them a seat in line with their need. If you issue standing tkts from the back and sitting from the front then you shouldn't get anything mixed up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just ask them to specify what they want to do and issue them a seat in line with their need. If you issue standing tkts from the back and sitting from the front then you shouldn't get anything mixed up.

Unlikely to work issuing standing tickets from the back when you have grounds stuck in the 1920's with disgusting views from the back, Liverpool, Everton, Palace, West Ham even.

What happens now is those who want to sit speak to the steward and they are usually accommodated near to the front.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve just read, albeit very briefly, Paul Barber suggesting that clubs should implement a standing section for away fans to allow those that wish to be seated are able to do so without having their view obstructed.

Seems sensible to me, but has not been practical in the past because of seat allocation not taking into account whether the fan wants to sit or stand.

So my ever simple suggestion - why not do away with seat allocation all together for visiting fans. Instead, introduce a simple entrance ticket for the away section with the proviso that the first ten rows, for example, are for fans that wish to sit. Those that wish to stand then take the back part of the away section. In that way everyone’s happy and you won’t get the “Oi! You’re in my seat” scenario.

Anyway, would love to hear your views or suggestions regarding this. :drink:

Because you'd end up in the situation of most Albion away games, lots of people all wanting to be together toward the back, double the amount of people in some rows than there should be, people stood in the aisles, but loads of spare seats dotted around...

Oh....no different to now then. :moo:

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
My wife is 80 and only 5ft tall, also she cannot stand for a full match. We have been season ticket holders for over 30 years and, until recently, whent to almost every away match, we still go to most. I make a point of going to the ticket office on first day of ticket sales and get front row seats. Generally that works well. Front row means getting soaked of it rains and the virew is obviously not ideal, however, we do usually see. What amazes me is that many people in the front row still stand meaning kids or elderly in the second have no chance.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
PB's suggestion reeks of common sense and for that reason will never work.

Two different hats could be issued to those buying tickets, along with a ticket swap system in the ground so you could exchange tickets or hats on the day. Also name badges made compulsory for all away fans for identification of trouble makers.Brown hats can stand Green hats can sit. The seats would be colour coded to make it easier.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Two different hats could be issued to those buying tickets, along with a ticket swap system in the ground so you could exchange tickets or hats on the day. Also name badges made compulsory for all away fans for identification of trouble makers.Brown hats can stand Green hats can sit. The seats would be colour coded to make it easier.

el punal

Wonderful - until someone introduces half n’ half hats! :mad:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
There is a very obvious answer to this. Sit where you like, unallocated seating. The bobble hats, old, young can sit down the front, the rest everywhere else. Sorted.

I do wonder who these people are though that have complained? It's an away game, we stand. Shall we just try and kill the atmosphere in every single way now?

theboybilly

There is a very obvious answer to this. Sit where you like, unallocated seating. The bobble hats, old, young can sit down the front, the rest everywhere else. Sorted.

I do wonder who these people are though that have complained? It's an away game, we stand. Shall we just try and kill the atmosphere in every single way now?

Thanks for that. I pay my £30 the same as you so why should I be shunted down to where the worst possible view is? There are so many grounds where this wouldn't work anyway. Molineux for example has the worst legroom in the front row I have ever experienced and this despite there being 30 feet of unused space between the perimeter wall and the pitch. At Anfield I was in Row 3 and even kids were standing on the seats in Row 1. Even if I had exchanged for a front row seat my view would have been obscured by cameramen behind the goal or jobsworth stewards. I had no issue at Wigan or Barnsley last season where I had a whole block to myself. I have heard of heated rows going on when a less mobile supporter finds somebody in his seat - a seat that would actually help with his enjoyment of his away day. You are no different to any other away fan but have decided you must stand and everybody else (whether they want to or not) has to fall in line so that you can do so. What they should do is have a standing area, somewhere where the view isn't that good, and see what you say then. It brasses me right off how many Albion fans think they have a right to dictate where people can sit and enjoy the game totally oblivious to the needs of others

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here