Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This is why we have a lack of upcoming British referee's...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
An attack on a referee at an amateur football match has been described as the "worse assault on a match official on British soil".

Sunday's incident occurred during a cup game organised by the Turkish Community Football Federation in north London.

The Federation says it is "shocked and disgusted" and "strongly condemns" the incident, which was filmed.

Police told BBC Sport they are investigating an alleged assault on a man in his late 20s.

It is understood the referee suffered only minor injuries during the game at New River sports centre in White Hart Lane, which saw Dumlupinar Yeni Malatyaspor beat GS FC 2-1.

Footage of the incident was sent to charity Ref Support as part of its Referee Abuse Must Stop campaign.

It shows a man being tackled to the ground and kicked on the floor by a group of people on a football pitch."

Disgusting

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
just dreadful

Last edited:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I haven't watched it but any attack on a referee is appalling.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Football is just not dealing with the problem at all. The "Respect" campaign was a total embarrassment as right from the very top we were seeing the managers either abusing officials from the touchline, or slagging them off after the game of smirking as they say "well, I'm not allowed to say what I want to say about the officials or I'll be in hot water etc etc etc."

Do we ALL want to clean the game up and rid it of this or not? If we do, then RESPECT must be shown from the top, because that shows that no-one in the game respects the officials decisions. From the very top of the game, the officials are seen as the enemy, and once that filters down to some of the neanderthal teams that do exist in amateur football - and we've all seen them on Sunday mornings - then it goes from verbal abuse to physical assaults.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why couldn’t Mike Dean have been reffing that game?

Seriously, that is awful, bans and prosecutions all round, I hope.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
shameful and depressing

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
something I've noticed which is slowly creeping in is physical contact with the ref. It can be a hand on the arm or slight pull on the shirt to get attention. When I played my dad told me never to touch the ref as (perhaps back then or to simply spook me) they can send you off for it. Not that I ever did or wanted to.

Players surrounding and hounding the ref has come back into vogue.

What the FA could do which might help is have a video of what's acceptable (plus changes to rules) at the beginning of each season and for it to be on MOTD, Soccer AM etc. I'm baffled how some pundits react aggressively to a ref's decision only to then find out that the rule changed or that they didn't know what the rule was (the latter more often the case). Would help I think.

If everyone knows what the situation is/are concerning some areas of the game then they can't be blamed, or blamed less, when the situation occurs and the ref enforce the proper rules.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Once again someone is a victim of violence due to lefty snowflakes.

If all referees were allowed to carry guns none of this would happen, but oh not the liberals get their way and we have anarchy on the pitch.

Regards
EP

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Football is just not dealing with the problem at all. The "Respect" campaign was a total embarrassment as right from the very top we were seeing the managers either abusing officials from the touchline, or slagging them off after the game of smirking as they say "well, I'm not allowed to say what I want to say about the officials or I'll be in hot water etc etc etc."

Do we ALL want to clean the game up and rid it of this or not? If we do, then RESPECT must be shown from the top, because that shows that no-one in the game respects the officials decisions. From the very top of the game, the officials are seen as the enemy, and once that filters down to some of the neanderthal teams that do exist in amateur football - and we've all seen them on Sunday mornings - then it goes from verbal abuse to physical assaults.

Absolutely this.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the teams are in organised leagues they should be thrown out and every official and player have there registrations revoked for life. There is no place for this in society let alone football.

The football authorities always seem to be too soft in cases like this. Presumably video evidence can be used as evidence in a court of law? This is a case for prosecution by the law, IMHO.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Dreadful scenes but playing devils advoate for a moment is it an ‘English Football’ problem, because it appears to involve people from a different culture and perhaps even countries where maybe it’s deemed par for the course and the refs get what they deserve? After all we know from English teams who’ve played in Turkey how ‘passionate’ the locals can be. Is it that we just don’t get and are too quick to condemn by comparison? And the games authorities often don’t see a problem. Moreover. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos like this before from S.America, Asia, Africa etc afterall. Different strokes for different folks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here