Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are Brighton

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
For me their stuff can be hit or miss. When they hit it is really good but when they miss it is cringe-worthy. But that could be said about most non-professional blogs so I'm generally in favour of them.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No idea. They blocked me/NSC many years ago so I never see any of their stuff.*

Met some of them in a pub after Fulham two or three seasons back, bought them and their associates a round (rounds, possibly - I can't recall) of drinks and from what I recall it was all very amiable. I think we even spoke about NSC sponsoring their content in some way. No interactions with them since then, although I think I've been told they've had thinly-veiled, possibly alcohol-fuelled pops at me since. When I've had Palace fans threatening my son, fellow Albion fans being narky at me year after year is neither here nor there.

All feels like a bit of a shame really.

(* - I also spend very, very little time on twitter. I'm not sure I've looked at the NSC twitter account for a good 2 or 3 weeks now, maybe more. Stuff I share to twitter from here doesn't actually involve me going to twitter - I use a social sharing tool for that.)

Threatening your son is horrific. Palace fans, whoever you are, hang your heads in shame.

It's a shame you didn't look at the NSC Twitter as I posted the photos of the Memorial plaques you asked for, a couple of weeks ago.
I don't email from my phone as it only has a 16GB memory.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Is there twitter content much different to their website stuff? I occasionally look at their website stuff when it it posted to facebook but seldom look at twitter

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
He apologised a few months ago in a letter to the FA and the club.
Wondering what you think could/should have sufficed. ?

Felt like the club tried to sweep it under the carpet and only came to light when sun published tweets. Not quite zero tolerance to homophobia.

Some form of public apology and recognition would be the very least we should expect

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure I agree. The sun is garbage and gutter journalism but I find it hard to defend the club’s response considering they claim to take a zero tolerance approach to homophobia.
What do you expect the club to do? He's not being homophobic.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
What do you expect the club to do? He's not being homophobic.

Not sure how using words like ****** and gay it’s isnt homophobic? Look I went to school in the 90s and these terms were widespread insults used by all but thankfully we are a more enlightened and open minded society and terms like this are no longer acceptable.

A simple sincere apology and recognition would suffice, like a say the sun is gutter journalism and trying to make Duffy a story to sell papers and get clicks. But if we make a point of kicking people out our ground for using these terms and don’t criticise Duffy for doing so, we are hypocrites.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Not sure how using words like ****** and gay it’s isnt homophobic? Look I went to school in the 90s and these terms were widespread insults used by all but thankfully we are a more enlightened and open minded society and terms like this are no longer acceptable.

A simple sincere apology and recognition would suffice, like a say the sun is gutter journalism and trying to make Duffy a story to sell papers and get clicks. But if we make a point of kicking people out our ground for using these terms and don’t criticise Duffy for doing so, we are hypocrites.

The fact nsc automatically sensored one of the words somewhat proves my point

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I said 'He's not being homophobic.' The key word is 'being'. It's something he said when he was a child.

I agree which is why I as I say this is gutter journalism from the sun. That said this was dealt with seemingly internally by the club ahead of this story being published a simple public recognition and apology would have sufficed. Now we look like we are all talk and no trousers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The fact nsc automatically sensored one of the words somewhat proves my point

There’s a humorous reason as to why...

Some years back Google stopped serving ads to NSC due to their being homophobic language in use on the site.

The discussion in question was genuinely about the British meat ball popular in certain parts of the country. I had to educate Google about the meaning they had no awareness of.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree which is why I as I say this is gutter journalism from the sun. That said this was dealt with seemingly internally by the club ahead of this story being published a simple public recognition and apology would have sufficed. Now we look like we are all talk and no trousers

I’ve largely switched off from Albion stuff now so although I’m aware of the Duffy story, I haven’t followed it closely. I’d certainly assumed that the club would have issued some sort of statement on it.

As I said on another thread elsewhere though, if an Albion STH made the national press due to prior social media postings that could be considered homophobic, I wouldn’t be surprised if the club issued some sort of ban to them.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I’ve largely switched off from Albion stuff now so although I’m aware of the Duffy story, I haven’t followed it closely. I’d certainly assumed that the club would have issued some sort of statement on it.

As I said on another thread elsewhere though, if an Albion STH made the national press due to prior social media postings that could be considered homophobic, I wouldn’t be surprised if the club issued some sort of ban to them.

Very true. Football clubs are happy to be the moral arbiter until it has a potential effect on the pitch and then any moral compass goes out the window. Not quite the same but I’m also pretty sure if they were tweets made by a politician he’d lose his job., however long ago they were made.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Shane apologised for the tweets made over 6 years ago, whilst he was at Everton. Brighton have accepted it, the FA has written to him and given him a warning. Line drawn, case closed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-44217006

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Felt like the club tried to sweep it under the carpet and only came to light when sun published tweets. Not quite zero tolerance to homophobia.

Some form of public apology and recognition would be the very least we should expect

If he's apologised to the club and the FA then it's presumably been dealt with behind closed doors. Not quite sure what a public flogging would have achieved. EDIT: Also, just because it hasn't been publicly discussed by the club doesn't mean they take a 'some tolerance' stance to homophobia.

If The Sun hadn't pulled a classic 'The Sun' move it's highly likely that the problem would have still been dealt with behind closed doors and literally none of us would have been any the wiser.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I think their musings get effected by alcohol intake

At least they have an excuse for acting like bellends unlike some of the tossers on here !!:tosser:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We don't look like anything. If the club want to say something, they can simply repeat that it was foolish comments by someone when they were a child, and not a representation of the man as an adult.

What has the club's response been, and what's wrong with it?

But if we make a point of kicking people out our ground for using these terms and don’t criticise Duffy for doing so, we are hypocrites.
WTF? The club won't kick you out of the ground for having made a homophobic remark some years ago when you were a child.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We don't look like anything. If the club want to say something, they can simply repeat that it was foolish comments by someone when they were a child, and not a representation of the man as an adult.

What has the club's response been, and what's wrong with it?

Should Everton be making a public statement? How much more do some fans want to drag this out?
There are some Burnley fans making a fuss because Andre Gray got a four match ban, whereas Shane has had a warning. Booing him next season has already been mooted by one on Twitter.

And so it goes on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here