Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are Brighton

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We don't look like anything. If the club want to say something, they can simply repeat that it was foolish comments by someone when they were a child, and not a representation of the man as an adult.

What has the club's response been, and what's wrong with it?

WTF? The club won't kick you out of the ground for having made a homophobic remark some years ago when you were a child.

It was 2012, and he is 26 now so he was an adult, albeit at Everton.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
We don't look like anything. If the club want to say something, they can simply repeat that it was foolish comments by someone when they were a child, and not a representation of the man as an adult.

What has the club's response been, and what's wrong with it?

WTF? The club won't kick you out of the ground for having made a homophobic remark some years ago when you were a child.

Yes the club says it will and has kicked people out for using homophobic language of this type. Rightly so.

Despite this approach I felt like there response amounted to a shrug of the shoulders. For me Zero tollerence means just that, they should whilst recognising it was in the past publicly state it was something they found offensive and against they’re values when they became aware of it not when the sun did. It’s not about vilifying Duffy, as people have rightly said he’s apologised a while ago and drawn a line under it but we have to take behaviours of this kind seriously. If I were a homosexual, I suspect the lack of response would put me off supporting the club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes the club says it will and has kicked people out for using homophobic language of this type. Rightly so.

Despite this approach I felt like there response amounted to a shrug of the shoulders. For me Zero tollerence means just that
But zero tolerance relates to things happening now or in the future, not things that happened in the past.

they should whilst recognising it was in the past publicly state it was something they found offensive and against they’re values
They don't need to, that goes without saying.
If I were a homosexual, I suspect the lack of response would put me off supporting the club.
Ok. I personally think you're over-reacting, but we're allowed different views on it.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Not sure how using words like ****** and gay it’s isnt homophobic? Look I went to school in the 90s and these terms were widespread insults used by all but thankfully we are a more enlightened and open minded society and terms like this are no longer acceptable.

A simple sincere apology and recognition would suffice, like a say the sun is gutter journalism and trying to make Duffy a story to sell papers and get clicks. But if we make a point of kicking people out our ground for using these terms and don’t criticise Duffy for doing so, we are hypocrites.

I disagree, in todays society we should show zero tolerance to anything we don't like. I want us to go back to burning at the stake honestly. It seems to be the only way.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Despite this approach I felt like there response amounted to a shrug of the shoulders. For me Zero tollerence means just that, they should whilst recognising it was in the past publicly state it was something they found offensive and against they’re values when they became aware of it not when the sun did. It’s not about vilifying Duffy, as people have rightly said he’s apologised a while ago and drawn a line under it but we have to take behaviours of this kind seriously. If I were a homosexual, I suspect the lack of response would put me off supporting the club.

We have at least two homosexuals on Nsc, and neither of them seem to be quitting their support of the club.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Ok. I personally think you're over-reacting, but we're allowed different views on it.

Fair point, probably so. Maybe undermined my point there somewhat towards the end. I just worry that by attempting to make ourselves the moral Arbiter on these issues we set ourselves up for a fall when something inevitably comes out that contradicts that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just worry that by attempting to make ourselves the moral Arbiter on these issues...
But are we? Historically opposing fans have aimed homophobic abuse at us; many Brighton fans are more tolerant and inclusive than your average fan - but that's about it. Our club has stated that it's not acceptable, but they haven't tried to make Brighton the arbiter. Other clubs should also be against homophobia. I'm sure our club is equally against racism - which club is supposed to be the arbiter in that regard?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

Yes the tweets were wrong but you don't need to talk on behalf of other people..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But zero tolerance relates to things happening now or in the future, not things that happened in the past.

Sweet. So I can act like a total **** and when the club pull me up on it, saying they have zero tolerance on such matters , I can just say "S'ok - it happened in the past"?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sweet. So I can act like a total **** and when the club pull me up on it, saying they have zero tolerance on such matters , I can just say "S'ok - it happened in the past"?
Yes. Yes Bozza, that's exactly right, you go right ahead, it'll be fine.

I assume you know what I meant and are just being silly :)

It's like the law - if a new law comes in, you can't be prosecuted for breaking the law before it became a law. If Brighton have stated that they have a zero tolerance policy regarding homophobia, then that will mean from around the time they said so. They won't be punishing someone for being homophobic a long time ago.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Wonder what would happen if someone found a homophobic tweet from Zaha from six years ago. I'm sure you would all be so forgiving then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wonder what would happen if someone found a homophobic tweet from Zaha from six years ago. I'm sure you would all be so forgiving then.
I wish we could be as unbiased as you. I admire how you turn your back on all the Palace fans that have chanted homophobic abuse at us.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Short term memory loss? 'We scored 3, they scored 1, Brighton take it up..... etc etc.

When in glass palaces, don't throw stones.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Most would rightfully condem him as many have Duffy. However, I’m yet to see a homophobic tweet from Duffy myself, one that wasn’t homophobic and one with a word blocked out that therefore even more unreadable from Duffys usual tweets! But yeh anything homophobic isn’t cool, I think the fact they played on the BHA thing when it was nothing to with BHA was the most offensive part of it all for most though.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I wish we could be as unbiased as you. I admire how you turn your back on all the Palace fans that have chanted homophobic abuse at us.

Turn my back on them in what regard exactly? It's you lot that paint yourselves as all inclusive and zero tolerance to homophobia etc. That's why I'm surprised that most of you are so quick to brush it off because it was a few years ago.

Short term memory loss? 'We scored 3, they scored 1, Brighton take it up..... etc etc.

When in glass palaces, don't throw stones.

No I have a very good memory. I also do not have double standards.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here