Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Disabled Toilets

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So that one person is the only disabled person that should ever go to that theme park?

How many visitors does that theme park have per year? And why is a toilet with disabled access costing quite so much money?

Read the article. Child requires lifting equipment. Park has disabled toilets and converted one for the boy. It's a case of how should a venue spend for a toilet used very rarely.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
So that one person is the only disabled person that should ever go to that theme park?

How many visitors does that theme park have per year? And why is a toilet with disabled access costing quite so much money?

Lad is severely disabled ...I They have a disabled Toilet(see picture) with hoist but not suitable for Adam.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd say this question is one for the collective conscious for the shareholders of the theme park. Obviously all such parks should have provisions for sufficient standard disabled toilets, but I'd like to think that given the nature of their market (a family day out), they'd go the extra mile and install toilets suitable for all - with the caveat that this assumes no financial problems. It's good PR, and I'm fairly sure the millions of customers who go through the gates don't begrudge the additional 10p it probably costed them to have these loos installed.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
this is a more difficult question than first appears. The devil is in the wording of the act here- "reasonable adjustment". When the act first came in, I was a cinema manager in an old 3 screen ABC Cinema in south London. I had a visit from the local disability group who (wrongly) informed me that I would have to make all screens wheelchair accessible, with disabled toilet facilities on both floors. (The cinema was already accessible to 2 of the 3 screens -the larger screen was not as it was up a flight of stairs-we had no lift). To have complied would have cost over £10k for a cinema barely breaking even over a year-most weeks running at a small loss. Had we been "forced" to make screen 1 accessible we would simply have had to close the whole cinema

I have a severely disabled 16 yr old niece who loves cinema, and lots of other things, but her parents understand that there are somethings that simply can not be retrofitted to make them accessible.

In the case in point there are disabled facilities which make the park accessible for the majority of disabled users, and the additional facilities required would be used very rarely and (assuming the owner is being truthful) the cost of which would possibly mean someone would lose their job. These parks are not all big money making concerns and the cost of this may be too much to bear, so admitidly without knowing all the facts then I would tend to say in this case its not reasonable- Also I am pretty sure the boy isn't suing-the boys parents are!

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
There should be a law that requires this facility if your footfall exceeds so many a day.

As an aside, I know the Albion have extra wide toilet cubicles for wheelchairs but have they ever wondered how disabled people would use them? It is bad enough getting in there as an able bodied person with the volume of people and narrow entry access. Do they have separate toilets as well elsewhere?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There should be a law that requires this facility if your footfall exceeds so many a day.

As an aside, I know the Albion have extra wide toilet cubicles for wheelchairs but have they ever wondered how disabled people would use them? It is bad enough getting in there as an able bodied person with the volume of people and narrow entry access. Do they have separate toilets as well elsewhere?
They have them by the disabled seating areas.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I'd say this question is one for the collective conscious for the shareholders of the theme park. Obviously all such parks should have provisions for sufficient standard disabled toilets, but I'd like to think that given the nature of their market (a family day out), they'd go the extra mile and install toilets suitable for all - with the caveat that this assumes no financial problems. It's good PR, and I'm fairly sure the millions of customers who go through the gates don't begrudge the additional 10p it probably costed them to have these loos installed.

the problem here is where do you stop? there are disabled toilets at the moment, and the park has tried to make these even more accessible. They can spend £40k and solve this problem, and then someone else arrives with different needs and they are back to square one,a s I said previously-the question remains what is reasonable-this is no Thorpe park or Disneyland we are talking about here

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
the problem here is where do you stop? there are disabled toilets at the moment, and the park has tried to make these even more accessible. They can spend £40k and solve this problem, and then someone else arrives with different needs and they are back to square one,a s I said previously-the question remains what is reasonable-this is no Thorpe park or Disneyland we are talking about here

From what I`ve read and seeing what they have now I think it is unreasonable to expect them to install Loo to suit Adam.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here