Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Top flight needs Villa vibrancy' Stan Collymore.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Other than winning the league 2 generations ago (1972 and 1975), Derby aren’t today a big club. The catchment area is small and they do well to consistently have crowds in the mid-20,000’s.

Collymore is simply a Villa fan, so randomly bunged in the names of other clubs, to mask his bias as an ‘reasoned argument’.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bournemouth's, Huddersfield's, Palace's, Burnley's . . . and Brighton's of this world.

Small clubs don't average 30k with 8k on the waiting list. We could quite easily fill a 40k stadium against most Premier league clubs. Who could boast that ? It's our history that lets us down not support

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Villa had been perennial space wasters in the Premier League for years. Granted they have an enviable heritage but that all ended around 1982 as far as I can tell. Also I don't like them :) Come on Fulham :thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Burnley and Hudds surely classed as big clubs if you are judging this by what Collymore is.

He must be talking about us and Bournemouth mainly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. They were managed by the late great Herbert Chapman, who was later responsible for the great Arsenal sides before the last war. Unfortunately, since then, the Terriers haven't made much of a dent on the higher reaches of the league, and are now regarded by many, as a smaller club, certainly in Premier League terms.

Only 6 clubs have ever achieved the Three in a Row.

Preston North End – 1891, 1892, 1893
Manchester United – 1947, 1948, 1949
Leeds United – 1970, 1971,1972
Huddersfield Town – 1924, 1925, 1926
Arsenal – 1933, 1934, 1935
Liverpool – 1982, 1983, 1984

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Quite a dark and disturbing individual is Collymore, I've tried to sympathise and understand his issues with mental health but it is difficult.

He is, of course, correct about the Rams' impending and triumphant return to the big time.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Frankly I agree with him, rather have Leeds or Wednesday up there over Bournemouth or Swansea any day

el punal

At what point can a small* club convert to a medium or big club? Is there a qualification period?

* small = not historically a Premier/ 1st Division club

Good point. I suppose it’s when other Premier League players/fans stop saying “No disrespect but we should be beating teams like . . . .” (Insert team of choice).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Small clubs don't average 30k with 8k on the waiting list. We could quite easily fill a 40k stadium against most Premier league clubs. Who could boast that ? It's our history that lets us down not support

A history not caused by the fans. A broke/tight Board in the 80’s that always sold our best players for knockdown prices, followed by someone with eyes only for a $$$$ freehold.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Quite a dark and disturbing individual is Collymore, I've tried to sympathise and understand his issues with mental health but it is difficult.

He is, of course, correct about the Rams' impending and triumphant return to the big time.

....are they resurrecting the Inter Toto cup?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think a club's history also has a lot to do with how big or small a club is perceived to be though, it isn't solely about the number of fans that go through the turnstiles.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
**** Collymore's opinions about anything mean **** all to me.

He needs to stick to what he does best; lamping women and dogging.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A history not caused by the fans. A broke/tight Board in the 80’s that always sold our best players for knockdown prices, followed by someone with eyes only for a $$$$ freehold.

It amazes me Gillingham isn't better supported being the only professional Kent club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Of the 6 lowest Prem points totals of all-time, 5 were achieved by a "big" club - Sunderland (3 times), Villa and Derby. Only Portsmouth let the small clubs down and that was only down to their financial bubble bursting.

Collymore is being very selective about who is and who isn't a 'big' club. He's picked some clubs that were decent in the 70s and 80s but smaller, more historic clubs like Bolton, Blackburn and Charlton have all played more Prem matches than Derby or Forest.

And to the new, global fans of the Prem then Leicester, Burnley and Palace are a bigger deal than the likes of Forest, Derby and Wolves.

As for small clubs rolling over and having their tummies tickled the top 6 regularly get embarrassed by the promoted Championship sides and those fighting relegation.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Burnley and Hudds surely classed as big clubs if you are judging this by what Collymore is.

He must be talking about us and Bournemouth mainly

I wonder if Collymore thought Leicester were a big club before 202015-2016?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here